CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Design and Fabrication of Turbocharger for 4 Stroke S.I. Engine in Two Wheeler   Next in Forum: I Have Some Questions About Building a Rubber Band Car for School
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Participant

Portable Wind Turbine

02/29/2016 11:59 AM

All,

I am currently a final year Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Bath and I am in the process of developing a DIY portable wind turbine made from your old washing machine (as their lifecycles are now shorter than 7 years on average).

The Phoenix project came about as a result of the circular economy drive and focuses on reuse rather than recycle. I am trying to collect data from potential users in order to help formulate the final specifications for the product, the link to the 2 minute survey I have prepared in order to help me collate this information can be found below:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1FTx...hAYMo/viewform

I will be extremely grateful for any responses as the more people respond, the better I can understand the potential users of the product and therefore the better I can develop the product to meet these user's needs.

Regards,

PhoenixBath

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 351

Re: Portable Wind Turbine

02/29/2016 1:09 PM

Reported as duplicate post. Please only post once.

Good Answers: 1598
In reply to #1

02/29/2016 1:14 PM

I reported the second post as duplicate.

The survey is aimed at an very limited market, and cumbersome to manipulate.

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 351
In reply to #2

02/29/2016 1:37 PM

That's ok, it's a school project and one of the most important lessons the student learns in these is how to follow the research, design and development process all the way through from conception to completion.

In the end very few of these school projects result in any useful or marketable products, but that's not the point. The skills that are learnt in the process are, and are invaluable.

Good Answers: 210
In reply to #3

02/29/2016 1:52 PM

10:1 says he gets issues with bearings and or their supports/housings

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 265

02/29/2016 2:11 PM

Why not repurpose non-functioning turbines into clothes washing machines?

Google search "expected lifetime washing machine" tells me that a front loader clothes wash machine can be expected to last about 11 years, and a top loader lasts an average of 14 years.

Absent in your plea is similar misinformation regarding the anticipated lifetime of a purpose designed and built wind turbine. How long might this repurposed machinery be expected to produce electricity, and at what output?

Good Answers: 1598

02/29/2016 3:51 PM

Economies that can afford to replace their washers every 7 years won't be interested in re-purposing an old washer into a wind turbine.

Economies that might have a use for such a machine re-purposed from a washer to a wind turbine wouldn't have used washers lying about in the first place.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Doorman (1); Fredski (1); jack of all trades (2); lyn (2)

Previous in Forum: Design and Fabrication of Turbocharger for 4 Stroke S.I. Engine in Two Wheeler   Next in Forum: I Have Some Questions About Building a Rubber Band Car for School

Advertisement