CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: 3D Printed Vertebrae Save Man's Life   Next in Forum: Is it Possible to Patent a Diet of Non-GM and Non-GMO Foods?
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12

Novel Materials for Repairing Complex Fractures

03/07/2016 8:12 AM

I thought the CR4 crew would be interested in this story I heard on the drive into work this morning. A research team at the University of Pittsburgh is investigating a couple of related biodegradable materials (alloys of magnesium and iron and bioresorbable calcium phosphate putty) and methods for repairing complex fractures. Each fracture is treated with custom-3D printed implants.

These methods avoid using metal plates and screws. Part of the motivation is to avoid the additional surgery required to remove the plates and screws.

I head this story on the Academic Minute, a public-radio show that features brief reviews of academic research on a wide assortment of subjects. Some of you might find this as interesting and intriguing as I do; I highly recommend it (and I didn't get paid for this endorsement).

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1586

Re: Novel Materials for Repairing Complex Fractures

03/07/2016 7:24 PM

Wow.

We've come so far since not that long ago.

It amazes me.

Thanks.

Register to Reply
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #1

Re: Novel Materials for Repairing Complex Fractures

03/08/2016 8:50 AM

I know ... seems like every week there is a new drug/appliance/other treatment modality. Yesterday Chelsey published a blog about using an exoskeleton to treat scoliosis: http://cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry/27016/Dynamic-Brace-for-Scoliosis. These are truly disruptive technologies.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 2 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: 3D Printed Vertebrae Save Man's Life   Next in Forum: Is it Possible to Patent a Diet of Non-GM and Non-GMO Foods?

Advertisement