CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Induce Change in Voltage on a Wire   Next in Forum: Augmented Reality Windows to Enhance Transportation Experience
Close
Close
Close
19 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

Electronic Components

03/11/2016 5:56 AM

Hi all, I have a huge amount of components that I need to Dispose of (as in sell) they are all unused, most are boxed, where would I go to sell these, approx. 1/2 mill parts.

Bazzer

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1129

Re: Electronic components.

03/11/2016 6:28 AM

Depends....maybe Ebay sell individually....maybe auctioneer and sell in lots....maybe Electronics dealer...

In reply to #1

03/13/2016 7:36 AM

Hi Solar Eagle,

I've been stung by ebay so that's a no but I'll look into auctions.

Many thanks

Bazzer

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196
In reply to #9

03/13/2016 8:14 AM

Hi,

you said:-

I've been stung by ebay so that's a no but I'll look into auctions.

How?

I've been on ebay since 2001 or 2, I forget which.....but always ready to learn something new.....

In reply to #11

03/13/2016 8:47 AM

When I first started using Ebay they said I would need a traders site as I was selling more than one of each item & then I could only offer PayPal as a means of payment it meant that they were getting more than me, on another occasion I purchased something from the states and PayPal charged me twice for the import and the agro I went through to get a refund was a joke.

Bazzer

Good Answers: 578

Re: Electronic Components

03/11/2016 7:34 AM
Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #2

03/13/2016 7:40 AM

Hi Rixter,

I've had a look at this site and will go into the various sites to see if any can be of use.

Many thanks

Bazzer

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

03/11/2016 9:02 AM

That's a lot of components! Are they all the same? Care to define the mix a little better? When you say components, are you talking about circuit boards, discrete components, resistors, capacitors, semiconductors or what?

Are you just looking to dump them or are you trying to recover some of their value?

The answer to that question does help to define the approach a little better.

In reply to #3

03/13/2016 8:21 AM

Hi Joe

I have lists of the components, if you're interested I can Email to you. I am looking to sell,& there are most things except CBs although there are some Audio amps but the whole range is from audio amps to zenner diodes there are 64 lines of components but Ics there are thousands as are caps, resistors, diodes, network resistors ect ect.

Many thanks

Bazzer

Hobbies - Musician - What??? Another New Member

Location: Wilmington, NC (Hollywood East) - It WAS! THAT'S What happens when you elect idiots.
Good Answers: 1

03/11/2016 11:39 PM

I'd certainly say check with; http://tcgrecycling.com.

They have two (2) eBay Stores, and warehouse in CA, Ky and FL. I'm a good customer, and corporate asked me about some things they thought I could help them with, or I'd never have put them together with the eBay stores. They hide it well.

Basically, the stuff on eBay is just the super easy cream off the top! But to my engineer "friends" here, check with these guys for your security, computer, and oddball stuff as their prices are great and the best guarantee on earth, 30 days - they pay shipping - 100% happy or 100% back.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

03/12/2016 5:05 AM

I agree with Solar Eagle.

ebay, in lots, will probably bring the largest profit, and most work, that was my first choice too.

The other two methods are fully valid, and would bring far less money and less work I feel.

The trick with ebay is a well written sales blurb, plenty of attractive FOCUSSED photos.

Are you going to sell privately or as a Trader?

As 500,000 items will usually be VERY suspect as a private person.....here the taxman will be on you like a ton of bricks as ebay informs them.

I cannot say for where you are.....be wary!! When selling, you have already agreed to this.....

ebay policies seller-tax

Good Answers: 21

03/12/2016 8:36 AM

Car Boot sales. Plenty of them going on in the UK.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

03/12/2016 9:03 AM

I had to laugh, those "car boot sales electronic Nerds" will have a field day!!!

He will need a larger boot on his car though!! (Trunk for the USA!!)

In reply to #7

03/13/2016 8:37 AM

Hi,

I used to do electronic fairs all over midlands to south England, I had a 4m x 8m marquee and used to fill it with stock, but ill health put a stop to that, incidentally all this stock was bankrupt stock from a company that was building CBs for me so when I heard they were going bust I purchased the contents so as to secure my products.

It was fun while it lasted, happy days.

Bazzer

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #7

03/14/2016 9:47 AM

Not if it is larger on the inside than the outside. Sounds like a job for the Doctor!

In reply to #17

03/14/2016 11:08 AM

Of course!

In reply to #6

03/13/2016 9:04 AM

Been there done that they didn't have a tee shirt.

bazzer

Good Answers: 116

03/12/2016 11:14 AM

First make and inventory of the components and get list prices. Multiply the list total by 15% and the result is what you are likely to recover from a dealer. Pitch initially for 25% and be prepared to haggle over the price. Casey Bros. St Helens, Merseyside, used to buy but my information on them is not current. If they are not interested they may know who is. If the 15% total is over £5k and the components are marketable (lots of CPUs and memory are obsolete and no one will be willing to create PCBs if they can't get new stock after the stock they buy from you is exhausted) consider taking on a partner to set up a back bedroom web business to sell the items. You put in the stock equity, your partner puts in sweat equity and you will probably get a small grant from your local Chamber of Commerce (CoC) to cover the web set up and legal business starting costs. You will get less or nothing from the CoC if the business is part time. Split any profits according to the equity ratio but even selling at an average of 50% list and splitting the profits you should make more than dumping to a dealer. As a silent partner there is no work input from you but you will have to wait to recover any profits. Your target partner should be young, knowledge of electronics is useful but knowledge of marketing is a must, computer/media savvy, ambitious, hard working and honest. Advertising a "Business Opportunity" at your local University or Tech College is a good place to start looking for somebody keen to get into business and gain experience but without the capital to start on their own. If you need a bit of incentive, this is how RS Components (trades as Allied Electronics in North America) started in 1937 and it now has revenues of £1.27billion.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #8

03/13/2016 9:00 AM

Thanks Ill give that a whirl.

Bazzer

In reply to #15

03/21/2016 12:59 PM

I have stocked Sony Digital Camera repair spares that have become obsolete.

I want to sell them as a lot. All are original and in SONY Boxes.

I have Sony broadcast VTR spares like drums, Pinch rollers, CCDs, Switch Blocks etc.

prefer a dealer as they are expensive spares and willing to give a huge discount

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 19 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (4); Bazzer Englander (7); IQ (1); James Stewart (1); jhhassociates (1); Miscexpert (1); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1); sonyspares (1)

Previous in Forum: Induce Change in Voltage on a Wire   Next in Forum: Augmented Reality Windows to Enhance Transportation Experience

Advertisement