CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Right Rear Running Light Goes Out When Braking and...   Next in Forum: Ferrari Rocket?
Close
Close
Close
24 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 210

Model 3

03/14/2016 10:28 AM

Elon might actually launch something on time this month... I'm not holding my breath.

I'm trading that some think this car will be a huge success. I'm not so sure. I do think the price will be acceptable @ around 35k/ the problem I see is with charging. most people with real world commutes will require more than a single charge./WK/ if you happen to have an empty garage at home it should be doable but how many people are forced to park overnight in the street or in a designated spot? apt owners and (pain in the azz) condo associations won't be receptive to mounting chargers in carports or dragging extension cords across lawns and driveways. charging at work and buying a second charger to mount at work will further add to the charging issue.

what do you think?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1141

Re: model 3

03/14/2016 10:48 AM

A charging spot is a major glitch...where I live we have no chargers....Power will have to be run...still under debate...who will pay, how is it justified, metered or free....salt air will eat them, constant maintenance, proper location...Which comes first the electric car or the charger? Can't buy the car without a place to charge it...

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 340

03/14/2016 10:52 AM

What do I think.... well,... how are they going to tax electric cars for road maintenance and other travel infrastructure that these cars are using and not paying for?

In reply to #2

03/14/2016 11:03 AM

trucks do all the damage to roads but I get your point....registration fees I assume

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

03/14/2016 11:04 AM

that may be so,.... but in the northern states its the weather that raises hell, and it gets paid by gas tax....

In reply to #4

03/14/2016 11:10 AM

its all that carbon causing the weather!!!!!

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 457
In reply to #2

03/14/2016 11:12 AM

In the UK we pay an annual "Road Tax" (the cost depending on the vehicle type, engine size etc.) as well as a hefty tax on fuel. Maybe this approach could be adapted?

In reply to #7

03/14/2016 11:24 AM

In the US we already pay a hefty fuel tax.... and I think that is the way to go... until electric powered cars came along. probably more reasonable that in Europe.

On top of that, there are a few liberal states that charge sales tax on top of the federal and state tax.

In reply to #8

03/15/2016 4:23 AM

You call that a hefty fuel tax in the UK we pay $3.29 per US gallon Plus 20% on the overall cost of the fuel. That,s it a tax on tax on money you have already been taxed on. Then we pay a road tax dependent on the emissions of the car. We are just about to have a government budget announcement so we can expect all of that to increase. However there are an increasing number of charging stations being installed in public spaces but I suspect we are behind some other European countries such as Germany.

Register to Reply
Guru
Belgium - Member - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #9

03/15/2016 5:28 AM

You think you are way over taxed in the US and we in Europe should not complain.

Inform yourself before making statements.

The cost of fuel/gallon (for those who have difficulties understanding the relation with liters and € to $) in 2008: (source CNNmoney.com through Wikipedia)

Things have improved since then as the Euro improved its position.

More to find on the cost structure of fuel in Europe: https://www.energy.eu/fuelprices/

In average: 35% of what you pay is for the oil company, 65% is for the state.

In reply to #9

03/15/2016 8:09 AM

Yes, I realize we have lower taxes here..... as well as fuel prices compared to some European country's.... especially the ones that have no resources for oil and have to import it.

And not to mentioned the subsidies the oil companies receive here in the U.S., from our taxes..... so yes, I call that hefty.

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #8

03/15/2016 12:33 PM

Yes…California being one….If one looks at the theft of the Federal Hwy tax funds, and the same tax theft in California , which they are attempting to rebuild with Carbon taxes and other schemes, no wonder the roads are in such bad shape. All the while, underfunded "High Speed" trains are being built. I am afraid it is a blatant attempt of the Elite to control more of the proletariat activities. Could be too conspiratorial….

Register to Reply
Guru

03/14/2016 11:08 AM
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 64

Re: Model 3

03/15/2016 9:30 AM

If the Europeans pay an outrageous amount of tax, that doesn't mean we should model what we do here. Maybe they should change how they do things there.

As bad as it is here with an outrageous tax structure and poor economy, in relationship to how good it could be if the gov would get out of the way, it is still better than Europe.

In reply to #12

03/15/2016 9:36 AM

I digress to not so much to get the government out of the way,... but limited the government involvement. And just have it as an oversight.

Frankly. I rather have the different ways of doing it. No one wants a totalitarian state.

Belgium - Member - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #12

03/15/2016 10:03 AM

When the government get out of the way it will go better: dream on

seriously: check out how well it goes in countries where it is really like that.

In reply to #14

03/15/2016 10:19 AM

"The government that governs best is the government that governs least." Benjamin Franklin, Founding Father of the United States of America

This statement is predecated on the fact that those who govern will be men and women of character, honor, integrity and guided by principles.

That is where our government has broken down. We have very few people who will serve "We the People" instead of serving themselves.

As far as countries "where is is really like that" goes; America has been a great example throughout much of our history up till the last 60 years or so. We, America, has had enormous positive impact in our world, more than any other nation in the world, during our short time of existence.

In reply to #15

03/15/2016 11:50 AM

Least does not mean none.

No government = anarchy.

This is getting off topic, but the original frame work of the United States on how it was intended was that politicians were to made up by the people, e.i.,.. Bakers, Farmers, Factory Workers, etc.... Where holding office was nothing more than a civic duty. They would do their duty, and then return to their trade.

Now we have career politicians, working the system, insider trading from knowledge of laws about to be passed or contracts to be approved.

Just because the original intend is lost, doesn't not mean to return to an environment for anarchy. It just has to be shaken up. (That's why what started as a joke in the GOP and its number of candidates and its non career as a politician, just showed that the race as a whole is a joke, that was protect by the old boys (and gals) club of career politicians. And is no longer a joke but a fight to save their political careers.

So put the blame where it belongs, not to the government but to the people on what they do at the voting booths in November to correct the system.

In reply to #18

03/15/2016 12:10 PM

I totally agree about no gov, i.e. law, at all = anarchy.

The "government that governs best is the gov that governs least" was based upon the Constitutional guidelines set in place. The gov was only supposed to do what was declared in the Constitution. Anything after that trashes the system and throws sand in the gearbox of commerce, judicial system, legislative system.

In reply to #18

03/15/2016 12:35 PM

its awesome........just as our founders intended

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #21

03/15/2016 12:38 PM

I agree and thanks..... I do have to apologize for side railing your topic.

In reply to #22

03/15/2016 1:11 PM

not a problem the car isn't due to be revealed till the end of the month

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 128

03/15/2016 10:26 AM

I'm concerned with the quality issues. I could deal with the charging, but if the car is falling apart in a year...what is the point. Considering the issues Tesla has had with the Model S, I'm willing to wait and see.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

03/15/2016 10:54 AM

really? Elon isn't cheesy. what I expect is a base of 35K but after options at least 10K more I'd expect the lithium to be like my I-pod, half dead around 2000 charge cycles and needing a new battery so in a Tesla the battery is the most expensive component. so at 8-10 years you need another 10 grand for a "cheap" battery or $12-15K to upgrade the KWH size.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #17

03/28/2016 12:47 PM

Assuming everything in that car stays glued together for 10 years, as originally intended, that'd be 3500/year split(assuming you bought cash).

i.e.: about 300 bucks/month cash allocation to Telsa.

Yea, a few mugs fewer beer I guess.

But this is definitely a one-use equipment.

Don't you think this Telsa/'pure' EV is nothing but a carbon-shifting phenomenon, i.e.: shift it to battery plant and a friendly power company near you ?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bayes (1); C-Mac (1); facilitiesmgr (3); Fredski (6); Gwen.Stouthuysen (2); JohnDG (1); oak51 (1); phoenix911 (7); Ramm (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Right Rear Running Light Goes Out When Braking and...   Next in Forum: Ferrari Rocket?

Advertisement