CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: PTFE Thread Seal Tape Density   Next in Forum: Green Experiments for St. Patrick's Day
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Associate

Ethyl Formate

03/14/2016 11:24 PM

I want to use Ethyl formate to be used as fumigant gas in a vacuum fumigation chamber to treat dates for longer preservation by killing germs. Can any one tell me how to produce this gas locally or whether supply of such gas is readily available in cylinders ? If anyone can highlight physical properties of this gas it will be helpful. Thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 748

Re: Ethyl Formate

03/14/2016 11:35 PM

Here is some info including characteristics and sourcing:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ethyl+formate&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Guru

Good Answers: 1102

03/14/2016 11:47 PM

"In this study, ethyl formate (EF) was chosen, as an alternative to methyl bromide, to fumigate dates at the laboratory scale. For this purpose, three EF concentrations (114.4 g m-3 ; 128.7 g m-3 ; 143 g m-3 ) and two exposure durations (2 and 3 hours) were tested. Results showed that the most efficient combination is 143 g m-3 EF during 2 hours which ends up with 98.12% mortality. On a commercial scale, EF is available as a mixture of CO2 and EF: 16.7 wt% EF in liquid carbon dioxide (Vapormate ®, LINDE GROUP)."

http://ucanr.edu/datastoreFiles/234-2790.pdf

http://www.actahort.org/books/1012/1012_92.htm

http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.7734.html

In reply to #2

03/15/2016 12:26 AM

Thank you for your reply . Can the EF+CO2 gas contained in the cylinder be connected directly to Vacuum chamber or thru a copper coil immersed in hot water to remove ice formation in the pipeline stopping flow of gas ? Do you recommend any other precaution ?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1102
In reply to #3

03/15/2016 12:47 AM

You shouldn't have any problems...

"Ethyl methanoate is generally recognized as safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.[5]

According to the U.S Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), ethyl formate can irritate eyes, skin, mucous membranes, and the respiratory system of humans and other animals; it is also a central nervous system depressant.[6] In industry, it is used as a solvent for cellulose nitrate,cellulose acetate, oils, and greases. It can be used as a substitute for acetone; workers may also be exposed to it under the following circumstances:[6]

OSHA considers a time-weighted average of 100 parts per million (300 milligrams per cubic meter) over an eight-hour period as the permissible exposure limit. The U.S. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) also considers a time-weighted average of 100 ppm over an eight-hour period as the recommended exposure limit.[7]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_formate

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699

03/15/2016 4:50 AM

Physical properties can be found using an internet search engine, such as Google. Look for the Material Safety Data Sheet as well.

Suppliers can be found in a similar way. Suppliers will have guidance documents for storage and use. Much information can be had by talking to suppliers over the telephone.

<unsubscribes>

Anonymous Poster #1

03/15/2016 1:57 PM

Hey, since it's formic acid, maybe you could work a deal with an anthill.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #6

03/16/2016 2:22 AM

I am trying to fumigate dry fruits before packing for better shelf life . Also fumigating library documents to free them from insects and viruses is also within my ambit

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 28

03/16/2016 6:39 AM

You may wish to investigate chlorine dioxide for this use, it is produced on site and is very effective against mold, fungi, pathogens also FDA has documents on its use in food handling. There are dangers also but with proper handling may be a good choice.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 148

03/16/2016 11:19 AM

Good information. I recently noticed on a package of California dates, that after sitting opened on the kitchen counter for about 1 week to ten days, there may have been a bloom of a whitish mold present. I stopped eating those.

It is best to store away from lighted, humid places, but also to consume within reasonable time period after opening, I realize this. Any other recommendation?

Household safe fumigant where bread and fruit molds seems almost virulent in our kitchen? Clean up the place with bleach on a daily basis?

In reply to #9

03/17/2016 2:16 AM

People should use Vacuum fumigation chamber with proper gasification for long term storage .Once fumigated the food products mainly dry fruits should be kept in sealed sanitised boxes to avoid contact with ubiquitous molds and insects and worms in a dry and cold place.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 148
In reply to #10

03/17/2016 8:38 AM

I suppose that why my pitted dates (kept in refrigerator) are staying nice and fresh.

Instead of California dates (which never apparently had mold in them, and were never refrigerated as I recall), the company that sells them is now importing Mexican dates, and apparently, the Mexicans are always in a hurry to smuggle crap across the border, and everything coming out of Mexico is corrupt (not). Maybe they just didn't get the dehydration process down to the correct water content before fumigating?

Don't dates have to be dried somewhat to aid in the preservation?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); arunavamukerji (3); James Stewart (2); PWSlack (1); roy hammy (1); SolarEagle (2); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: PTFE Thread Seal Tape Density   Next in Forum: Green Experiments for St. Patrick's Day

Advertisement