CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Augmented Reality Windows to Enhance Transportation Experience   Next in Forum: Solid State Relays
Close
Close
Close
15 comments

How Can I Make a RF Transmitter and a Receiver

03/15/2016 8:19 AM

I am planning to make an Rc helicopter of my own but i can't buy things from online so i need to find alternatives . I thought of making a spy cam with a web camera for my helicopter but i couldn't find a transmitter and a receiver circuit for it ,,,so can some one help me on the following details :

1. Out put signals of a Web camera . I mean the signal we get from a oscilloscope ,,,+D and -D signals .

2. How to make a transmitter and a receiver circuit for that ,,,,,help me with the circuit diagram , and a guide to know more of Rf signals .

Their is one more reason for choosing web camera ,,i.e ,,i can connect it to a computer or to my phone instead of carrying a tv (in case of tv Transmitters ).

And i can't use a ip camera since ,they don't suit to my conditions .

3. I know that ground waves frequency if till 3 MHZ and from 3 to 30MHZ its sky wave but Rc cars use 27 MHZ ,so what sort of propagation they use ?

IF the answer is Ground wave ,,as Part of increasing my rang of signal transmission i would like to use sky wave propagation along with ground wave propagations ,so how can i do that .

Thank in advance ,.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 69

Re: How can i make a RF transmitter and a receiver

03/15/2016 9:05 AM

I am planning to make an Rc helicopter of my own ...Why??

1. Out put signals of a Web camera . I mean the signal we get from a oscilloscope ,,,+D and -D signals .... I'm not sure that the signals from an oscilloscope are relative to those of a web camera.

2. How to make a transmitter and a receiver circuit for that ,,,,,help me with the circuit diagram , and a guide to know more of Rf signals ....I suggest you start by studying in some courses offered in Electrical Engineering.

Their is one more reason for choosing web camera ,,i.e ,,i can connect it to a computer or to my phone instead of carrying a tv (in case of tv Transmitters )....After you get by the problems of weight, lift capacity of your imaginary RC copter, and the weight of your imaginary transmitter....these things are designed to be small and light weight and use components that you may not be able to get/use.

And i can't use a ip camera since ,they don't suit to my conditions . What are those conditions?

3. I know that ground waves frequency if till 3 MHZ and from 3 to 30MHZ its sky wave but Rc cars use 27 MHZ ,so what sort of propagation they use ?... most RC devices us low power, AM/FM or PCM and typically line of sight. The newest technology is spread spectrum,which you will need a few more courses before you master that. You won't have to worry about propagation. If you plan to build something that can go further than line of sight, you are probably going to be in violation of some laws somewhere!

IF the answer is Ground wave ,,as Part of increasing my rang of signal transmission i would like to use sky wave propagation along with ground wave propagations ,so how can i do that .

Thank in advance ,....You are welcome...good luck!

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 455

Re: How Can I Make a RF Transmitter and a Receiver

03/15/2016 10:27 AM

Don't mean to dampen your spirits - I'm all for a bit of enthusiasm and hands-on practical work - but I'm afraid it sounds like you're hopelessly out of your depth.

As Tom_Consulting suggested, you need to find yourself some (in fact, quite a lot of) training.

In reply to #2

03/15/2016 12:43 PM

But basically i came up with this idea of web cam by seeing analogous cam. transmitter circuits such as these ,,so i thought i could find some circuits for digital cameras also .

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

03/15/2016 10:34 AM
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 749

03/15/2016 1:35 PM

If DARPA won't fund it, get ISIS to fund it. Or Amazon. Or Google.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700

03/16/2016 5:45 AM

<...can't buy things from online...> Most large towns have things called "model shops" from which one may actually buy suitable, legal, equipment over the counter. The local Yellow Pages contains details of these places, addresses, telephone numbers, etc., and one usually finds that the proprietor and staff have a wealth of knowledge that is freely available. Well worth a visit.

<...thought of making a spy cam with a web camera for my helicopter...> That would make it a "drone", which is readily available at most good model and electronics shops. Check that copy of Yellow Pages!

Beware of invading the privacy of persons that own shotguns, airports, military, high security and nuclear facilities. Wholesale replacement of shot-down equipment can precipitate unplanned large expense, prosecution, and the great sorrow that comes with these things.

<unsubscribes>

Good Answers: 40

03/16/2016 9:54 AM

[p]Hmmmm...You've never made a flyable 'copter yet.[/p]

[p]And you've never designed a remote control system (for anything).[/p]

[p]You have some uncertainties regarding the propagation of RF signals, let-alone clear understanding as to which ones are legal to use (in your neighborhood, which remains undivulged).[/p]

[p]You will unlikely ever get to THIS point without FIRST going through a few stages, such as (beginning) with something like THIS.[/p]

[p]Lots of people have already done these things, and shared them already (i.e., already posted their successes 'out there'). "Seek, and ye shall find."[/p]

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - AC9JZ extra

Good Answers: 9

03/16/2016 5:12 PM

I admire your enthusiasm. My dad said, "Don't go near the water until you learn to swim." I say, "Make sure there's water in the pool before you jump off the high dive." Seriously, I recommend you go to college and focus on engineering. I'm not sure what part of the world you are in, but amateur radio is another way to find the help you want.

The question is unclear, are you trying to make a long range drone? If you are in the USA, join the military.

Good Answers: 9

03/16/2016 5:40 PM

ARRL, if they are still around. - JHF

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

03/18/2016 1:55 PM

Those cartoons of engineers making spacecraft out of paperclips, rubber bands and other things found around the office are just myths. But who knows what you can do with some aluminum foil, tape, balsa wood and some old shoe laces?

Good Answers: 40
In reply to #10

03/18/2016 3:35 PM

"Aye" ... THAT's where all the FUN is....<>
Such as THIS project <Link to Instructable
Not balsa wood, but Douglas Fir and plywood...

_ _ _

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 84

04/01/2016 8:02 AM

No need to get too frustrated, but those concepts you are interested in, even though these days look like child's play in videos of usually ignorant users that ordered and purchased complete or almost complete assemblies of such devices, and assembled them using instructions they sometimes have hard time following, without ever understanding all that much about advanced concepts even behind "simple" looking stuff let alone being able to modify or improve them is one thing, and trying to start from scratch (concept, component or even board, assembly and sometimes software level and still being efficient and legal) is another thing. If your interest is real, it can get you far, but will take so much time and effort most would quit half way. Start from basics. Info is out there, but CR4 is not likely a place to start asking basics, and links is all you'll get. Still, tons of general tech info here to look up. S.M.

Location: just died off here (now i may flicker back for a while)

04/07/2016 5:52 AM

Drop the idea - or convert it to a virtual/theoretical study

• you'd need a top of the art lab and (precision) pcb manufacturing equipment/methodology

• you need a lot of experience/"know how" to

► stabilize your cam

► bi-way (also video(real time compressed))data/control radio link

► special materials that can be lifted off the ground and kept in air controllable at several minutes

► stealth tech to keep your device "out of sight" e.g. far(/unexpected) distance(/position) = phs.pos. , wind , mech.vibr. , ... compensation

this is a years of research + a lucky strike to get it near right at (also affordable for) first prototype

In reply to #13

04/11/2016 8:17 AM

??? no one continued

if you make a list of "off the shelf" items you´ll need to complete your robot

such as:: extra radio (, encoder) for webcam , extra radio for webcam control , gps + other telemetry & navigation controls , ....................

you find the business addresses where such is (re-)sold , take a train ... back-pack of your choiche/affordability : get the parts

-- PS! i assume it takes at least half a year to pre-confirm all that fits together (can be interfaced (protoclols,phs.signal levels)) & this all fits to allowable "payload" ...................

In reply to #13

04/11/2016 8:26 AM

a thought - suppose you use web cam for target finder and another on-board camera for quality ir-imaging(the sensing speed) - reduces a lot load off the radio link

however the cost benefit of such gets the way off my budget i guess

unless you´ll provide airborn mapping service in difficult to pass areas or similar

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

ci139 (3); Circuit Breaker (1); Jerinsam (1); JohnDG (1); Mike Proctor (1); ndt-tom (2); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); PWSlack (1); SimpleMind (1); SolarEagle (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Augmented Reality Windows to Enhance Transportation Experience   Next in Forum: Solid State Relays

Advertisement