CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: How Would You Repair It?   Next in Forum: Math Problem Channels
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Guru
United States - Member - Lifelong New Yorker Popular Science - Biology - Animal Science Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Technical Writer CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Community Manager

Good Answers: 59

When Nature Takes Over

03/24/2016 9:05 AM

Have you seen these photos of the abandoned River Country water park, formerly part of Disney World in Florida? The park closed 15 years ago and nature has started to reclaim the space. Plants and trees are growing on the slides and buildings. The photos make me think of what things would look like after an apocalypse.

It's interesting to see what would happen to many of the structures we take for granted (roads, walkways, bridges) if they were not regularly maintained. It doesn't take long for things to start falling apart, or for overgrowth of trees and plants to do some serious damage.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 9

Re: When Nature Takes Over

03/24/2016 9:20 AM

Regrowth in abandoned landscapes tends to follow the same pattern. Some hardy herbaceous plants (which many of us call weeds) move in first, then larger, woodier species follow. I wonder how long it will take Mother Nature to restore this park to a state that looks like it didn't exist?

Mr. Best in Show and I live on a small lake in upstate New York, on a heavily wooded hillside. Several years ago we met a woman who grew up in the neighborhood; she told us that most of the trees we have now didn't exist even 60 years ago. We've since seen pictures from the local historical society and sure enough, our back acreage was pretty bald at the turn of the 20th century. And we've got plenty of aggressive non-native species that have colonized, like Japanese barberry and (ugh) garlic mustard.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 609

03/24/2016 9:51 AM

That's no surprise to me. I lived in Florida for 20 years. When I was in grad school I once had to work on a radio telescope antenna that hadn't been used in 3 years. When I went to the site I found that a 4 inch diameter tree had grown up through the mesh in the middle of the dish.

It's a jungle out there.

Good Answers: 513

03/24/2016 10:45 AM

There was a book written about that...

http://www.worldwithoutus.com/index2.html

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Lifelong New Yorker Popular Science - Biology - Animal Science Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Technical Writer CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Community Manager

Good Answers: 59
In reply to #3

03/24/2016 10:49 AM

There was also a TV series. I watched a few episodes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_After_People

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 161

03/24/2016 10:47 AM

Great set for an adventure film.

Good Answers: 1037

03/24/2016 11:00 AM

"As it did every year, River Country closed at the end of the warm-weather season (the park closed on November 2, 2001), with the expectation that the water park would reopen in the spring of 2002. But after the 9/11 attacks, the decline in business for all Disney parks and hotels prompted Disney to halt the reopening of River Country. On April 11, 2002, the Orlando Sentinel reported, "Walt Disney World's first water park, River Country, has closed and may not reopen." The report concluded with this line: "Disney World spokesman Bill Warren said that River Country could be reopened if 'there's enough guest demand.'"[7] The attraction may also have been affected by a change in Florida laws, which prohibited unchlorinated natural water bodies from being used for water park attractions.[8] River Country never reopened and remains abandoned as a forgotten Disney relic as of today. Disney employees monitor the area for trespassers.[9]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_River_Country

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 622

03/24/2016 11:39 AM

You could make a great field archery course there... moving target on the old waterwheel

Del

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 314

03/24/2016 12:16 PM

A possible set for a new Disney movie.....

In reply to #8

03/24/2016 12:29 PM

Well this park was modeled on the descriptions of Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer themed natural 'swimmin hole', and as such was in a natural setting, the overgrown appearance is intentional by design...perhaps a bit more so now....

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 314
In reply to #10

03/24/2016 12:42 PM

life imitating art imitating life imitating art imitating....

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 80

03/24/2016 12:17 PM

Reminiscent of the Jazzland theme park in New Orleans, destroyed and abandoned after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Apparently the property was just right for the filming of Jurassic World.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

03/24/2016 3:09 PM
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

In reply to #12

03/28/2016 9:14 AM

Is this a lounge lizard?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 80
In reply to #15

03/28/2016 9:29 AM

Cajun Tailgator.

Guru

In reply to #16

03/28/2016 9:32 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

On one of my trips to New Orleans I found a fridge magnet with a gator picking his teeth and saying "Send more tourists. The last ones tasted great!" They must have been tailgatoring.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 173

03/25/2016 7:28 AM

I worked in quarrying for 25 years. Enough time to watch nature taking back sections we had abandoned. Slurry ponds take time to recover, there was elation when the local nature conservancy group informed us they had found a supposedly extinct orchid growing on the banks. It put paid to our ideas of recovering the slurry for cement making.

Later I worked in steel making. An abandoned canal ran about 50m from our workshop, it was a haven for herons, kingfishers, swans, etc.
I did get in trouble with the local angling club. We needed to refill a 250,000 gallon tank in a hurry and so started all the canal pumps, pity I forgot to open the reservoir sluice gates to keep the level up.

Good Answers: 133

03/28/2016 9:05 AM

Some of that was creepy (naturally so) enough one expected that plasmodium projecting protozoan to be lurking behind every tree, only to blob out and translocate to the nearest victim at any second.

03/28/2016 11:12 AM

That's one heck of a beautiful, albeit deserted(or because of!!) theme park.

How about fencing in the whole area and dumping truckloads of white tail deers, coupla cattle....... and beavers ??!

Possible to buy over that place ?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (3); Del the cat (1); James Stewart (1); Mikerho (1); phoenix911 (2); Ramm (1); Rixter (1); SavvyExacta (1); SolarEagle (3); sue (2); TonyS (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: How Would You Repair It?   Next in Forum: Math Problem Channels

Advertisement