CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®
Login | Register for Engineering Community (CR4)

Previous in Forum: Turbomach TTS4 Control System   Next in Forum: Why Use Bently Nevada in Tandem with Mark VI?
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Active Contributor

DVC Troubleshooting

03/25/2016 9:49 AM

DVC series have found when in Bypass mode have found supply pressure and positioner output fluctuating ,would like to know the troubleshoot and why does it occur.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1532

Re: DVC troubleshooting -

03/25/2016 9:52 AM
Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

03/25/2016 9:58 AM

Digital valve controller 6000 series

Good Answers: 1532
In reply to #2

03/25/2016 9:59 AM

Talk to the supplier. They will want some actual information.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 169

Re: DVC Troubleshooting

03/25/2016 8:23 PM

Historically, the term "bypass", when used with respect to valve positioners, referred to an optional pneumatic switch used on pneumatic positioners that switched a pneumatic 3-15psi/20-100kPa (or other ranged) control signal from the positioner's input directly to the positioner output, ie, the pneumatic actuator.

By using bypass mode, loop control (pneumatic control signal applied to the pneumatic actuator) is maintained while the positioner is taken out-of-service, albeit without the precision 'positioning' that a positioner offers. The rules for bypass use include direct action and 1:1 ratio of control input signal to the positioner's control output signal.

The DVC6000 is an electropneumatic 'smart' positioner. Its input signal is an electronic signal, not a pneumatic signal. An electronic signal cannot be used directly for control of an actuator/valve.

The DVC6000 manual dated 2013 from the Rosemount web site does not contain the word 'bypass'.

http://www.documentation.emersonprocess.com/groups/public/documents/instruction_manuals/d102794x012.pdf

So I do not understand your reference to bypass mode with a DVC6000, unless your 'system' includes bypass controls outside of, and in addition to, the DVC6000 (I/P/solenoid valve(s)/piping/control logic).

How is your 'bypass' implemented, how do you expect it to work and how does that vary from the results that you report?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor

In reply to #4

03/26/2016 4:57 AM

Positioners that are used for Partial stroke test for ESDV ans SDV valves ,Normal operation the valves are in Bypass mode pr acting through solenoid to actuator and Automatic mode through Positioner when we have to do PST or stroke the valve in %, As we have the valve in Normal Operation i.e through SOV to Actuator and the Auto Mode not in operation we have found the DVC supply pressure and the Positioner output fluctuating ,would like to have an idea is the issue with the configuration setup or with the calibration.

Guru

Good Answers: 169

03/26/2016 12:27 PM

When I solve these problems, I need a considerable amount of information to analyze
- P&ID's
- loop drawings
- hook-up drawings,
- exact as-found configurations
- process readings in both normal mode and alternative modes,
- control logic for the change-over between normal and alternative modes

It may be one configuration parameter needs a change, but who knows? There is no detailed information on what your system is, how it is piped, how the position is configured, what the control logic is, what normal operation conditions are and how alternate mode operation fails to meet your expectations. You haven't provided a single number or better yet, a series numbers, to show operational conditions. The fact that the air supply pressure 'drops' is does not say much.

I looked back through your posts. You've brought this topic up 3 or 4 times since 2009. And you've provided precious little information with which to analyze the situation.

I wish you luck in finding someone with the crystal ball who can see your process from half a world away and discern the situation, but I'll take a pass on further participation and exit. I am not up for a game of 20 questions.

Iris

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)

04/04/2016 6:08 AM

1)is this FCV ?and also confirm controller is cascade?

2) you have to check air supply and voltage supply correct or not?

3)you simulate through mA source and supply pressure and positioner output fluctuating.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

cajetan259 (2); dil.cnair (1); Iris (2); lyn (2)

Previous in Forum: Turbomach TTS4 Control System   Next in Forum: Why Use Bently Nevada in Tandem with Mark VI?

Advertisement