CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Math Problem Channels   Next in Forum: Road Making
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

Local Building Codes

03/31/2016 11:53 AM

This is why local building codes must be followed. Complying to the local codes may not prevent a disaster like this from happening but if you cannot prove your construction met the local codes you can kiss your engineering career good-bye!

Kolkata collapse.

Think a kind thought today for the people of Kolkata, India.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 84

Re: Local Building Codes

03/31/2016 12:18 PM

Thoughts and prayers for the victims and their families.

Good Answers: 36

04/01/2016 8:34 AM

"...local codes may not prevent a disaster like this..."

What are local codes for if they are not meant to prevent disasters such as this.

And wouldn't engineers have spotted the possibility of failure in the local codes.

My general experience is that when you design something 'new' according to proven formulas, you find the codes force you to go well beyond what seems necessary.

But if local codes are not very demanding and thus seen to be inadequate "...it might fail, but it meets the codes...so it's not my fault..." might not save you

What I am saying, is you can be held liable (in the context of being a professional engineer) even if you meet the local codes. Some clever lawyer will argue that you (being a qualified engineer) should have known better...!

And you can bet your boots, the inspector enforcing the codes for the local authority won't accept responsibility if the codes are inadequate when something goes wrong.....oh dear what a shame...I ticked all my boxes...!

I have a vague recollection of a householder here who had an extension to his house built, but the whole wall collapsed because (on inquest) the footings were found inadequate. The trenches had been officially inspected and approved at every stage of the construction.

It was the underlying soil/ground unable to carry the load that was found to be at fault and had the builder carried out soil loading tests it would have shown the 'code' size trench was not adequate.

The local authority claimed their inspector had only to check the trench was the right size according to the approved drawings. The fact the council approved the drawings had nothing to do with it.

The builder was blamed for using the wrong trench on the drawing.

....it all hinged on who pays for the damage and remedial work...I think it went to court where it was decided the council were not liable for damages because of shortcomings in the codes....only to apply them.

Mind you, I could be wrong. This is my personal interpretation of an earlier news item at the time, and memory of vague events. But it fits my cynical view of life in the way rules and regulations and 'officialdom' works.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #2

04/01/2016 10:18 AM

Yes. This is exactly why I carefully chose my few words to start this discussion. The local codes are nothing but the minimum requirements mandated by the local authorities. If one does not know or understand what the local codes mean (like so many visitors to CR4) then hire somebody qualified to engineer in that field.

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 421
In reply to #3

04/02/2016 1:13 AM

You may have chosen your words carefully, but I sense a rush to judgement vis a vis the codes. You can follow the codes to the letter, but poor construction/inspection techniques (and bribes) will get you every time.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

horace40 (1); JBTardis (1); RAMConsult (1); redfred (1)

Previous in Forum: Math Problem Channels   Next in Forum: Road Making

Advertisement