CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®
Login | Register for Engineering Community (CR4)

Previous in Forum: Is This Low Flow Cutoff Issue   Next in Forum: Rosemunt Magnetic Flowmeter
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Flow Meter Settings

04/03/2016 8:30 AM

Dear All,

We are using Krohne Make Flowmeter (Optisonic 6300). In this 4-20mA is used for Flow rate measurement and Pulse output is used for integrated flow measurement (totalizer)

We are using Schneider PLC counter module BMXEHC0800 to connect to the pulse output of the flow meter. How to wire my flow meter to this counter module. Our Flow meter gives out pulse output (passive). Do we need to supply separate power supply for this pulse output?

I have seen in the settings section of the manual, but I could not make any thing out of pulse output?

Below are the some settings mentioned in the manual?

How to set up this pulse/frequency output?

Pulse shape: (Symmetric, automatic or fixed)

Pulse width :( available if pulse shape is set: fixed) (min-max-0.05-2000)

Max Pulse rate: (Min- Max- 0-10000Hz)

Value per Pulse?

Thanks in advance.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Good Answers: 51

Re: Flow Meter Settings

04/03/2016 10:26 AM

In this manual
https://www.instrumart.com/assets/Krohne-OPTISONIC6300-manual.pdf

Page 37 says: "Passive I/O: an external power supply is required"

pulse output diagram shown on page 39

symbols are defined on page 36

A real quick scan of the manual shows that there are likely Digital outputs, which are what are likely used for a totalizer output representing 100L or 50L of flow. A PLC counter would be used to count the number of time a digital output cycles states to obtain a total

Whenever the selection states a frequency, like 10KHz, the frequency output is proportional to instantaneous flow rate, not to a total.

Some flow meters allow the selection of total pulses or flow rate frequencies from the same output, others use different outputs for each.

I think you need to poke around to see what can be done with the digital outputs to get a totalizer pulse.

Although the manual has the navigation menu, the menu does not include options and choices at any level, so apparently you have to be standing in front of the unit to see what the selections are. Very Teutonic.

Power-User

04/03/2016 10:56 AM

Usually manuals and aftersales at provider could give you a better recommendation for that. Give them a ring.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 673

04/04/2016 5:47 AM

<...We are using...> These words suggest that the connections and configuration have been carried out already, in which case the need for the question is abstruse. Please clarify.

Good Answers: 111

04/04/2016 8:21 AM

Usually most PLC inputs have a pull up or pull down resistor on them, so that they are normally in a high or low ("1" or "0") state. The pulse output need external power, is effectively a high impedance for most of the totalizer cycle, then switches to low impedance during the "pulse". Go figure it out.

04/04/2016 8:29 AM

If a control device is passive and not active then it will need an external DC power supply in order to work. The factory supplied manual should give the exact wiring configuration. The signal for pulse is usually in DC volts and the flow rate is 4 to 20ma but I have not had an opportunity to set this particular device up so follow the manufacture's instructions on wiring this unit in to the system. Good luck!

Anonymous Poster #1

04/05/2016 1:21 AM

Dear Carl, Small, James, whdunc01

Thank you for your reply. I read the manual and understood the wiring specifications. but How to set the pulse output configuration in the flow meter?

Pulse shape: (Symmetric, automatic or fixed)

Pulse width :( available if pulse shape is set: fixed) (min-max-0.05-2000)

Max Pulse rate: (Min- Max- 0-10000Hz)

Value per Pulse?

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 673
In reply to #6

04/05/2016 4:11 AM

The reason for not using the telephone to contact the equipment manufacturer directly to obtain quick answers to these questions is quite abstruse.

Good Answers: 111
In reply to #6

04/05/2016 9:00 AM

Hey AP#1: Do you wish to be led by the hand, or taught to fish for yourself. If the OEM cannot supply you with a direct answer based the ringy-dingy-thingy (telephone), then why don't you simply put in auto and forget about it?

That's why in New York City, they always say, "Fo'get about it"!

In reply to #6

04/05/2016 9:12 AM

http://www.kep.com/app-notes/f015.pdf

Follow this link for formulas associated with pulse width conversion.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Reply to Forum Thread 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Carl_E (1); James Stewart (2); Mr. small (1); PWSlack (2); whdunc01 (2)

Previous in Forum: Is This Low Flow Cutoff Issue   Next in Forum: Rosemunt Magnetic Flowmeter

Advertisement