CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Flow Meter Settings   Next in Forum: Question - Calculating Differential
Close
Close
Close
24 comments

Rosemunt Magnetic Flowmeter

04/06/2016 11:32 AM

rosemunt magnetic flowmeter 8705 showing fluctuating reading and dont hace display why

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 327

Re: rosemunt magnetic flowmeter

04/06/2016 11:39 AM

did you try calling Rosemont customer service?

Good Answers: 1086

Re: Rosemunt Magnetic Flowmeter

04/06/2016 12:33 PM

What have you tried so far? Are you qualified to work on this equipment? Have you read this linked operators manual?

http://www2.emersonprocess.com/siteadmincenter/PM%20Rosemount%20Documents/00809-0100-4444.pdf

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 744

04/06/2016 12:41 PM

So long as creative misspelling is the order of the day, call it Rossmant.

Good Answers: 1559
In reply to #3

04/06/2016 1:16 PM

I'll go with Rosemount (but it's Emerson now) but have not even a clue what, "hace display " may be.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 225
In reply to #4

Re: Rosamund Magnetic Flowerer

04/06/2016 1:44 PM

Come on: that's a "dont hace display"; surely you've heard of those!

In reply to #5

04/06/2016 2:27 PM

Oh, I guess it's one of those British English versus American English name things, like you guys call a truck a lorry, and it doesn't use gas but rather petrol?

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 224
In reply to #6

04/06/2016 7:03 PM

. . . and call it Department of Defence. I like the old adage, Great Britain and the United States are two great countries separated by a common language.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

04/06/2016 7:27 PM

We should go back to calling it what it really is, The War Department.

It defends Blackwater's, Halliburton's and KBG's profit margins.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 141
In reply to #6

04/06/2016 8:23 PM

Do Lorries not drive on derv?

I always wondered why the United Statesers call a liquid "gas"? (and still do)

And still use the imperial units (together with Liberia and?) Is it because of a new empire status?

I like your war dept comment, but think it is still an euphemism.

In reply to #9

04/06/2016 8:28 PM

Well you see, gas is an abbreviation of gasol..................oh, never mind.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 697
In reply to #6

04/07/2016 6:37 AM

Lorries use derv/diesel fuel, not petrol.

Tractors use gas-oil, which is derv/diesel fuel with a red dye in it to indicate that Excise Duty, which is applicable to vehicles used on the public road, has not been paid on it. Any agricultural vehicle that uses the public roads less than 6 miles per week is exempt from Excise Duty in the UK.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #13

04/07/2016 7:09 AM

They put dye's in diesel for farm use (tractors and farm equipment) (no fuel tax on for farm use)

And the penalty is pretty stiff if caught with the dyed diesel in you're farm truck while picking up farm supplies in town, they can make it pretty rough. So I'm told..

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
In reply to #14

04/07/2016 8:27 AM

Tax evasion, in whatever form it takes, is a criminal act.

In reply to #15

04/07/2016 9:36 AM

yes it is, The problem, when using your truck that is licensed for the farm, and you're going to town to pick up (you pick any one or all) Seed corn, spray material, replacement parts for equipment, baler twine, veterinarian animal supplies, etc,...

The list is long and you also stopped to pick up groceries, you just commit a criminal act. AND YOU SHOULD BE TREATED LIKE A CRIMINAL.

Get a smaller paint brush next time.

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 141
In reply to #17

04/07/2016 10:38 AM

Is the reddish gas-oil the same as is used for heating purposes in the house?

Central heating, stoves etc..?

Do they also use use "phurphurol" as dye?

Need a 3a seaf and active carbon to make that white again.

>>>People became very inventive with double filling pipes e.g. and customs in Europe had to be trained to get the test "fluids" from the injection pump instead of from the tank (s). The dye is very difficult to remove and also lasts very long when e.g. 2 different tanks are used.<<<

The dyed diesel price was a fraction of that of the the "road diesel".

In reply to #19

04/07/2016 10:50 AM

I could say.

This is in Wisconsin, and was initiated back in the 70's.

We had a very liberal governor and senate, that was looking to levy a large amount of taxes to be funneled into the larger cities (liberal voters).

(They tried this with property taxes also, but the state supreme court ruled against it.)

The justification was to eliminate the farmers who moonlighted with jobs in town to help with supplement the farm income and was using their farm trucks to get to work.

Basically most treated by adding more documentation in their tax paper work and submitted expense reports to reimbursed themselves mileage on their vehicles was one way to satisfy government overreach.

In reply to #14

04/07/2016 1:40 PM

My understanding is that if the truck is not tagged for highway use, but only has "farm use" tags on it, you can burn the untaxed (dyed) diesel. I've seen lots of "farm use" tags on trucks out in Shenandoah Valley, VA. But you won't find them on the interstate.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

04/07/2016 1:47 PM

As of late, I never heard of the small farmer getting into trouble, they either keep their nose clean, or is over looked because of it being small fry.

But there was a trucker that had the dye in its fuel, I'm looking to see if I can track down the article.

Back... this, is the only thing I found, its 3 years old, and its basically making the penalty stiffer.

Which I can see, if your going to use the road, you have to pay for it.

In reply to #22

04/07/2016 2:10 PM

Definitely, the revenuers will be after you for burning dyed diesel in an over-the-road truck. My memory, faulty as it is, seems to recall the fine for having dyed fuel in your truck is like $1,000. I wonder if some malicious individuals have ever dumped dyed fuel in someone's tank just to screw with them.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

04/07/2016 2:19 PM

Its getting caught.... The one I was thinking about its that the truck was brought in for service, that's how they caught.

Now for agriculture use, they lift a lot of restriction during harvest time. That's just weight weight restrictions.

But dump dyed fuel to get back at someone, that's heavy and being borderline psychotic .... plus they have to catch you..... but a little sugar added also would do it. Thinking out loud.....

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #4

04/07/2016 10:34 AM

It's "don't haVe display". As in, I presume, the local display is not working.
"C" lives right next to "V" on the keyboard. It's easy for me to remember because X is for cut, because X looks like scissors. C is for copy, because copy starts with C. And V is for paste, because V's right there.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

04/07/2016 3:37 AM

The forum cannot see the instrument from here. Please describe

• the fluid passing through it
  • the size of the meter
  • the mechanical installation of the meter
  • the electrical installation of the meter
  • the expected flow rate
  • the outcome of the telephone call that has taken place with Rosemunt
  • the availability of the manual that was supplied with it
  • its age
  • the background of the individual(s) that carried out the installation

Detail! Detail! Detail! This stuff needs to be in the original posting next time.

Good Answers: 225

04/07/2016 4:51 AM

It looks to me as though the 8705 is the sensor only and the part with the fault/problem is probably a 8712, 8712H or 8732

From http://www2.emersonprocess.com/siteadmincenter/pm%20rosemount%20documents/00813-0100-4727.pdf

Which is it?

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 57

04/07/2016 8:45 AM

While there are those here in this forum that have actually used what you are asking about, as you have assumed, as I have indeed installed and programmed a Rosemount magnetic flowmeter on several occasions, we can not begin to trouble shoot your problem without more words than you would care to post on line. This would be a multi-repetitive posting effort, as this type of help will require you to run many different tests and report back what the outcome was. This is definitely a situation where you want to get either a Rosemount tech on the phone, or one of their well trained engineers at the local Emerson distributorship. They will tell you how to proceed and be there for return calls, which will be many until the problem is sorted out.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (3); dvmdsc (2); GameJudge (1); lyn (4); phoenix911 (6); Phys (1); PWSlack (3); Randall (2); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Flow Meter Settings   Next in Forum: Question - Calculating Differential

Advertisement