CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: We Never Learn   Next in Forum: Samsung Develops "Smart Windshield" for Motorcycles
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 10

Wireless EV Charging Efficiencies

04/11/2016 8:18 AM

Just saw the link today on IHS News, titled "This Wireless Charging System is 90% More Efficient Than Current EV Options"

http://electronics360.globalspec.com/article/6527/this-wireless-charging-system-is-90-more-efficient-than-current-ev-options

Now the title was rather intriguing and optimistic-sounding, but then, as expected, the second sentence folded it: "The team has just demonstrated that its 20-kilowatt system has achieved 90% efficiency at three times the rate of the plug-in systems that are commonly used for electric vehicles today." I read it as meaning simply that the system is 90% efficient, just at very high charging rates. Not sure from where to where the efficiency was measured, but still, rather tame. Ah, just a timid little rant, but reporters should get their stats correct.

It got me thinking, though - as the use of EVs increase, such inefficiencies would cause a rather significant waste of power. In this case, a 20kW charging system (sorry, i usually think in kVA terms) would have 10% or 2kW losses - the equivalent of keeping a kettle boiling for the time you're charging. With the drive to energy efficiency, surely that must be minimised to levels closer to the 99% or whatever a traditional cable gives? Maybe this is the price lazy people are willing to pay? Being such a new field, are their standards for this yet?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: charging ev
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 23

Re: Wireless EV Charging Efficiencies

04/11/2016 7:52 PM

Yep, there will always be the physical 'distance' problem due to the "Inverse Square" Law coupling.

Good Answers: 32

Re: Wireless EV Charging Efficiencies

04/11/2016 11:03 PM

I read it as a system that also included the actual AC to DC charger and charge controller. So the 90% shapes up pretty good as compared to a conventional wired EV fast charger. Not quite as easy to implement though as you would also need a wired input for not-at-home/work charging. More weight to carry around as well.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: We Never Learn   Next in Forum: Samsung Develops "Smart Windshield" for Motorcycles

Advertisement