CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Wireless EV Charging Efficiencies   Next in Forum: Ford VIN Number
Close
Close
Close
46 comments
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 68

Samsung Develops "Smart Windshield" for Motorcycles

04/11/2016 3:34 PM

Today's Latest News from IHS Engineering360-

Samsung "smart windshield" HUD is targeting "young riders" so they can stay connected with their text messaging, Face Book, phone calls and everything else that distracts drivers, young and old. Distracted driving is bad enough with 4 wheels under you an now they want to plaster all this crap on a 2 wheeled motor cycle's windshield? That's all we need now. I foresee a lot more accidents and the death rates going up on a magnitude of 10 fold.

Here in California it's legal to lane split, that's passing in-between 2 cars going down the "white dashed lane divider." There's enough wrecks and fatalities because of lane splitting with out having a rider, (young or old) being distracted by a text from the girl he met the night before popping up on his "smart windshield" Next will be "smart automobile windshields" and I'm sure the kids will love that!

My feeling is, the only thing that should be displayed on a HUD or any display in the driver's line of sight, should only display pertinent information relating to the operation of the vehicle, speedometer, engine oil and temperature, etc.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 17

Re: Samsung Develops "Smart Windshield" for Motorcycles

04/11/2016 3:48 PM

I ride a motorcycle and I agree with you, only takes 1 second on a bike and your dead.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 622

04/11/2016 4:34 PM

C'mon, this has got to be a leftover April Fools Day story.

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

In reply to #2

04/11/2016 4:47 PM

I would hope so! Maybe the Admin. should chime in on this one? It's bad enough with lane splitting, now their encouraging sexting while riding on 2 wheels?

Kinda sounds like we're going backwards

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 341
In reply to #2

04/11/2016 4:48 PM

I agree,

HUD is one thing to show, speed and other bike updates.

But f it's for text, then not there is no hope left.

Good Answers: 1598

04/11/2016 4:54 PM

If that's a new concept of road "safety", I've got a new concept of gun "safety" which should serve the same purpose at 1/10 the cost.

It's probably almost 100% effective where the "new concept of road safety" could leave some pretty nasty after effects.

What an incredibly STUPID idea.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #5

04/11/2016 5:03 PM

Now Lyn,... Don't go shooting your mouth off.

In reply to #6

04/11/2016 5:05 PM

Or, my eye out?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 158

04/11/2016 5:25 PM

Not quite as bad as you think. From the article (italics mine):

"The display-which actually sits beneath the windshield rather than replacing it-does not allow for any interactivity on the part of the rider."

It is still a bit of a distraction, but they currently have Bluetooth headsets they are already using which enable them to actually answer those calls.

In reply to #8

04/11/2016 5:31 PM

The very fact that it, "actually sits beneath the windshield rather than replacing it" means the rider must look down, while riding, to use it.

Death waiting to happen.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #9

04/11/2016 7:55 PM

No, it's not a good idea, any way you look at it. But everybody is portraying this useless invention as if it was a full-on HUD from an Apache helicopter.

In reply to #14

04/11/2016 8:27 PM

Everybody? I agree with your earlier post, you reading this wrong.

In reply to #8

04/11/2016 6:09 PM

Even voice to text, you still have to find and hit the send button.

When I got tired of flying to and from, so I tried Amtrak, I had an hour long bus ride (Amtrak Charter) and the driver had his cell phone mounted on the left arm rest/console, so it looked almost as if he was checking his side mirror when he inter-acted with it. I don't know who he was talking to, but he was excited! He did have voice to text but he still had to take his eyes off the road to find the send button, That was the last time I rode Amtrak, so much for a relaxing ride! And yes I do have it video recorded an went back to driving myself.

So, now we have these "young rider's" doing 80+mph down a freeway and trying find the send button on their smart phone? Don't sound to smart to me

Sounds like the making of another "Darwin's Award" to me!

In reply to #10

04/11/2016 7:38 PM

Either you are missing my point, or I misinterpreted the phrase "does not allow for any interactivity on the part of the rider."
My interpretation of that is that there is NO send button, no answer button, it is simple notification. If they think it is important, they can get off the road, take off their helmet, dig out their smart phone and answer it. That is if they don't already have a helmet with an embedded Bluetooth interface. In that case, the notification panel is a useless waste.
They already have the technology to be stupid and take a call/text. It is the whole idea of talking/texting while driving that is dumber than a box of rocks. Basically, I think this is just a useless invention, that nobody will want or use.

In reply to #12

04/11/2016 7:53 PM

Blue tooth or not, it's still a distraction.

It's not just handling the bike, it's also watching out for other people not paying attention.

In reply to #12

04/12/2016 12:56 AM

Your right in that they say there's no interaction with the display, and there doesn't have to have a button to push to be a distraction, because most kids guys will pull the phone out to answer a text message. I've had a couple motorcycle riders pass by me on the freeway with their phone in their hand.

I'm not saying it's a useless idea, I like the concept of HUD, as long as it only displays the pertinent information about the operation of the vehicle and or navigation, I have an app that displays a HUD for my speedometer and GPS and I like it, but anything else would be a distraction.

My biggest problem with Samsung, is they're targeting a younger audience that isn't mature enough to pull over to the side of the road, let alone take the phone off their ear while driving. But that also goes for some mature (Sr.) adults too.

Power-User

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #12

04/12/2016 3:23 AM

Probably an invention that is looking for a need. To me, the whole point of biking is to get slightly away from the humdrum of commuting by car. Ok, so I get there quicker 'cause I lane split (legal here and fairly safe if you use that rare commodity, common sense) and parking is a dream. Bargain. But the illusion of freedom in a traffic jam, beauts! I even have a bluetooth-connected GPS device but I disabled the phone functionality. It is distracting. And when you are doing 150 km/h on a dirt road You don't need it. Most things can wait an hour or so. Ah, but it's aimed at the youngsters, the always-on lot, and that is the worrying thing, as mentioned elsewhere.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #8

04/11/2016 7:17 PM

No, it's worse

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

04/11/2016 9:16 PM

Wow!

I don't understand why there's so much negativity on this really useful concept. This technology will surely produce more organ donors than any public service announcement ever dreamed of producing.

In reply to #16

04/12/2016 7:25 AM

That's the spirit.

Good Answers: 3

04/11/2016 11:40 PM

Oh! We're more on to "Smart Sun-shield"

Good Answers: 1

04/12/2016 4:48 AM

A thoroughly stupid idea, though judging by the number of young riders I see texting with a hand-held phone on their twist and go scooters, the target audience for this device, it won't make much difference, except other road users won't see the phone in the hand and be aware to start with...

'Lane splitting' or 'filtering' as we call it is actually safer than queueing for a motorcyclist, too many distracted (texting?) drivers, sleepy drivers or 'impaired' drivers don't see a bike just the vehicle in front of it, if anything at all, without a steel cage around us the best place to be is not directly behind another vehicle but alongside and several (as many as possible) vehicles forward from the impact zone.

Photo to illustrate, there's much worse online if you can stomach looking at them: http://cjonline.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/superphoto/13707334_3.jpg

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 237
In reply to #20

04/12/2016 10:14 AM

I agree that lane splitting can be safer and it helps relieve traffic congestion as well. One of the other things to remember about lane splitting in California is that their highway lanes are much wider than most other states highways, especially down in the LA area. I was surprised to see how much wider they were. I rode in California for four years or so back in the eighties.

Although legal, I did not generally lane split unless traffic was more or less stopped. If it was going 15-20 mph or greater, I just kept my lane. When I did split lanes, I wouldn't ride any faster than I could stop if someone decided to change lanes.

Some riders are just stupid, rude and inconsiderate. And that's a shame because the actions of a few taint the entire population of riders. Fortunately, they don't stay riders for very long.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

04/12/2016 10:19 AM

All I know is being from Wisconsin, and then driving in California for business. When you're driving, you make your decision and DO it. no pussy footing around.

in other words, to drive in California you have to be aggressive or you're going to create an accident.

Good Answers: 46
In reply to #26

04/12/2016 12:07 PM

LOL Phoenix, one of those moments when I realized just how different Wisconsin was. A person slowly creeps down the ramp to get on the interstate, stops, and puts on their turn signal. Person on interstate STOPS to let them out! I damn near ended up it that idiots trunk

In reply to #27

04/12/2016 12:47 PM

Lol....I know we have drivers that are courtesy, but that's ridicules .... We also have drivers that don't know chit. Or a blue hair geriatric, and they usual export themselves To Florida.

In California, I learned quick. Listen to the radio, car turn over on 5, on fire, expect delays.

Lately, as in the past 4 weeks, driving in town (Green Bay (home) and manitowoc (work)), I notice some yahoos usually 20 something women with POS cars or 30 something driving around in big silverados running red lights, as though they are trying to beat the yellow, which turned red long gone.

It's a habit now for me, when the light turns green, I'll wait and I'll blast the horn, the last 3 red light runners was this past week.

So you need full attention, and not checking your text messages on your smart windshield. Because I may not be there for those yahoos. ;-)

In reply to #26

04/12/2016 2:47 PM

".... California you have to be aggressive or you're going to create an accident"

It's more like, California you have to be aggressive or you will be the accident! The SOB's here will run you over and Not Look Back, forward or sideways. It's funny what an imaginary state line does to some people's attitudes

In reply to #29

04/12/2016 3:00 PM

When I was driving, I thing I-5.... I was used to the 2 second rule.... but that when out the window.

the traffic flow was 80 MPH, and if you had anything more of what seemed like a car length of room between you and the car in front of you, That was space for another car, which was soon taken.

Also being from Wisconsin, I was not used to the lane with the diamonds on it, which was open.... And I took that until I felt uncomfortable because it was not right, that lane was open, and the rest was bumper to bumper, good thing I left, because where I was working, they informed me not to get caught using that lane.

Another thing I can't understand, is the time people are willing to travel a day to work and back.... That alone is a good part of the day.

Good Answers: 117

04/12/2016 5:02 AM

Charging the manufacturers/suppliers with corporate manslaughter for each death occurring while the device is in use would be an effective way of regulating such devices. Perhaps the legislation could be extended to using mobile phones while driving. In the UK we have laws banning the use of mobiles while driving which exclude hand free operation. If your girlfriend rings you in the car and tells you she is pregnant with your baby, and has just informed your wife, you are equally distracted whether or not you received the call hands free.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #21

04/12/2016 3:11 PM

"Charging the manufacturers/suppliers with corporate manslaughter for each death occurring while the device is in use would be an effective way of regulating such devices."

That's a slippery slope, how long until the car makers get sued for every accident that involves their vehicle, regardless of who hit who ('No-fault' insurance states). Or if makers of football helmets were sued every time someone wearing their helmet got a concussion or a neck injury (No defense is perfect, some blows will be hard enough to overwhelm the helmet's protection. And the helmet does not protect the neck at all, but the head protection can lead to feelings of invincibility, which leads to more aggressive play, which increases the chance for injuries, including neck injuries).

Making the manufacturers criminally liable for misuse of their products is sheer insanity. Should Sears be sued because the 'claw hammer killer' used a Craftsman hammer to beat his wife's head in?

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #31

04/12/2016 3:33 PM

No, you don't sue the car makers... you look towards the user, then the cell phone makers....

Also, if your caught texting while driving, you are automatically classified as a Organ Donor

(as in the 58 second mark)

Power-User

Good Answers: 18

04/12/2016 5:35 AM

This is good, they can fill out their organ donor forms online while riding.

jhammond

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #22

04/12/2016 9:36 AM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 589

04/12/2016 8:02 PM

Is this a "Darwin Catalyst", making the process of Darwinian evolution more efficient?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

04/12/2016 11:58 PM

Nah, it's self curing, no catalyst, nor common sense needed!

CR4 ADMIN: Deleted weblink

This post (or part of this post) was deleted because it included an inappropriate weblink that violates the CR4 Rules of Conduct. This site is used by people of all ages and we seek to maintain a family-friendly atmosphere. Please keep this in mind when participating. The same is true for links and references to other websites. When you link to an external website, it is your responsibility to make sure that the content on the linked site is appropriate for our community and does not violate our guidelines. This includes mentioning or referencing a site, even if you do provide a hyperlink.

In reply to #34

04/13/2016 12:05 AM

I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride on my mōtorsicle.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #35

04/13/2016 1:05 AM

Good ol' Arlo.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #36

04/13/2016 1:09 AM

Actually I think it's nickle but that didn't seem to work, er fit.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #37

04/13/2016 1:11 AM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 46
In reply to #38

04/13/2016 10:45 AM

Just wanna ride my motor cy - - - cle.

You gotta sing it with that kind of enthusiasm.....

In reply to #40

04/13/2016 11:11 AM

Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Looking for adventure
In whatever comes our way

In reply to #41

04/13/2016 9:36 PM

Too bad Step'n Wolf doesn't have a reunion concert, huh? That would be a MAJOR PARTY!

In reply to #37

04/13/2016 9:53 PM

Careful Lyn, you'll get censored, might be too kinky.

Strange, TommeyReed can make threats of physical harm and that ok with Admin. but I post a link to a Darwin's Award, it gets not only deleted, but you get spanked, Oops, spanking can be construed as kinky or abusive, so I didn't say it, okay

In reply to #44

04/13/2016 10:06 PM

Go figure.

I don't know why he posted a third time and I don't know why we keep going back to it.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #45

04/13/2016 10:23 PM

Apparently IHS sold CR4® to TommeyReed and hasn't told anyone about it.

He seems to have "Card Blanche" when it comes to posting gibberish or threats

In reply to #34

04/13/2016 9:30 PM

Man, if I had known that Darwin's Awards link was in appropriate, I sure wouldn't have posted it! It was a link that shows, "just when you thought you seen it all or heard it all," Some fool will top it!!

Good Answers: 85

04/13/2016 3:24 AM

Does have some practical value though. None of your fakesbook friends will miss your funeral. S.M.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (1); Brave Sir Robin (3); capri (1); dj95401 (9); gideon (1); jhammond (1); jhhassociates (1); Kilowatt0 (3); Labyguy (1); lyn (7); Neiljohn (1); phoenix911 (11); rashavarek (2); redfred (1); Rixter (1); SimpleMind (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Wireless EV Charging Efficiencies   Next in Forum: Ford VIN Number

Advertisement