CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Local Building Codes   Next in Forum: End Your Day With A Bang!
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Associate

Road Making

04/12/2016 5:52 AM

can I know the flexural and compression strength of a highway road both asphalt and concrete based ones

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 740

Re: Road making

04/12/2016 6:31 AM

They're all over the map, so to speak.

United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 173

04/12/2016 6:46 AM

Click here

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 313

04/12/2016 7:32 AM

You have to be kidding,

I was taking some college night courses and one of the projects we had to do was to manage a civil engineering project that included road building. A lot of us didn't have a civil background, but the information was out there.

Only thing is, one had to put forth a little effort.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 756
In reply to #3

04/12/2016 7:47 AM

Which is why I think the answer should be, "No". They will never know the strength of a road for several reasons; laziness, inability to comprehend and the uncertainty between plans and reality.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 313
In reply to #4

04/12/2016 9:37 AM

I agree,

I was fortunate that when I investigated it the only thing on the line was grades on our project. And I was thinking. I was initially taught investigative procedures consisted mainly of you library card and the ability to cross reference the Dewey Decimal system..

So, at my night classes, I didn't think it required much effort at all, and actually felt guilty. But that passed, and so did I.

But the OP laziness is no excuse

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 689

Re: Road Making

04/12/2016 7:53 AM

Without using either a search engine or a reference book of some sort, the only way of knowing is to carry out tests. CR4 is not a search engine, does not have any reference books, and does not offer a testing service.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 208
In reply to #5

04/12/2016 10:10 AM

Slack, you're a mean one

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1533

04/12/2016 9:43 AM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #7

04/13/2016 8:42 AM

Wrong country, CSIR is South Africa and this lad is in India. They build roads differently in S Africa. In the rest of Africa they build potholes with asphalt surrounding it.

Concrete, not in Africa, too expensive and they steal the concrete before you get to use it. That is why they have dirty roads, it is cheaper to build and 4x4's can negotiate these roads easily.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1

04/12/2016 10:01 AM

concrete is far less compressable

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 507

04/12/2016 10:07 AM

Asphalt flexes more but concrete lasts longer.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1029

04/12/2016 8:15 PM

Good Answers: 21

04/13/2016 7:07 AM

Absolutely, I see no reason why you cannot know this information.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

04/13/2016 7:31 AM

I suggest you pay a visit to your local paving contractor. There you will find a complete list of paving specifications for any material or location. The specifications are likely jurisdictional sensitive.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 175

04/13/2016 8:06 AM

Seriously? You need to crack open a few Civil Engineering books on the subject, starting with Soil Mechanics.

Download a few of the applicable USACE Engineering Manuals (see link below) and start reading and studying.

Failure is not an option.

http://www.publications.usace.army.mil/USACEPublications/EngineerManuals.aspx?udt_43544_param_page=11

Anonymous Poster #2

04/13/2016 10:16 AM

Have you looked at the OP's profile?

- He lists as a home page an Engineering company.

- The Topics he has started tend to be either questions about basic Engineering, thinly disguised sales pitches for his company, or solicitations for Engineers to join his company.

I'm not going to give my opinion here, I'll just let you all look at the evidence and judge for yourself.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 9

05/12/2016 12:44 PM

Yes. - JHF

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); CaptMoosie (1); Circuit Breaker (1); Fredski (1); IQ (2); lyn (1); phoenix911 (2); PWSlack (1); redfred (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1); TonyS (1); Tornado (1); welderman (1)

Previous in Forum: Local Building Codes   Next in Forum: End Your Day With A Bang!

Advertisement