CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Road Making   Next in Forum: How to Connect Waste Pipes from Toilets on Several Levels
Close
Close
Close
38 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416

End Your Day With A Bang!

04/19/2016 11:29 AM

Some of these are truly works of art! There's about 30 minutes of planned demolitions so grab your choice of beverage and turn up the volume.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1086

Re: End your day with a bang!

04/19/2016 12:39 PM

No wonder rents are going up....

Good Answers: 58

04/19/2016 2:37 PM

Couldn't watch more than 2 mins. - too upsetting. Years to build, seconds to destroy.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 81
In reply to #2

04/19/2016 3:02 PM

...even so, you have to admire the skill of the engineers, bringing the buildings down, mostly within the footprint of the building.

In reply to #4

04/19/2016 4:12 PM

Yes indeed - incredible.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1560
In reply to #5

04/19/2016 5:11 PM

It sure beats the old wrecking ball.

Sadly, a search for "wrecking ball" images now brings nothing but images of some naked slut.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

04/19/2016 5:21 PM

I checked it out - you are absolutely right. Perhaps I'm being naïve but it's a very tenuous connection. Has Google images gone completely mad?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

04/19/2016 5:29 PM

Well, yes. The "artist" Miley Cyrus, is quite popular with the youth of today and she made an album of the name "Wrecking Ball".

Her "talents" are on full frontal display.

We're just too old to understand.

I truly believe that youth is wasted on the young.

Due to subject matter, I'll OT this.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 744
In reply to #6

04/19/2016 7:51 PM

Yeah, but if you notice some of the stuff off to the right (or just Google it) you can get the Busby Berkeley classic "The Lady in Red", with Wini Shaw and Judy Canova.

For those who haven't yet had the pleasure of seeing "The Busby Berkeley Disk", let me recommend it with high enthusiasm.

04/19/2016 2:52 PM

This got my attention: St. Maarten takeoffs, landings & Smokin' chick in bikini

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 169

Re: End Your Day With A Bang!

04/20/2016 12:42 AM

Funny how the twin towers went down in such a similar way.

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #10

04/20/2016 9:29 AM

Gravity will do that. Remember that most of these demolitions are for structures no where near the height (and vertical loading) of the Twin Towers.

The towers were so high that weakening the structure by intense heating of the beams at the levels where the airliner impacts were was enough to start bringing down the upper portions then a cascade failure will take place by overloading the the remaining structure as momentum builds. The towers were made for a static vertical loading of X. The upper portions collapsing produced a dynamic vertical (and off-axis) loading of probably 2-3 X. Metal frames will fail under those conditions.

I hate the conspiracy wingnuts who keep attempting to say that the twin towers were rigged to implode and the whole incident of was some kind of giant set up for war. Bull crap. Ignorant people who start rumors as this should be subjected to the consequences of their words. (Maybe a week in the stocks would be a suitable punishment, or just cut out their tongues and feed them to wolves). But there again, I am one old hateful s.o.b.

In reply to #12

04/20/2016 9:36 AM

Agreed!

The terrorist pilots were instructed by an architect at what level to fly into the buildings to collapse them.

I forget the exact phrase he used but it was a reference to a part of the human body.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #14

05/02/2016 9:20 PM

I seem to remember an interview with someone at the time who said the towers were not meant to collapse as they did. The planes impacted at an angle on the side to cause the upper stories to fall like a tree. The fact that they fell totally was just a bonus to the planners. By the way, at the time of construction, the builders stated that the design would take the impact of an airplane, as the Empire State Building did. And it wasn't the impact that caused the failure.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #37

05/03/2016 12:34 PM

They didn't say which airplane either.

In reply to #12

04/20/2016 1:15 PM

In the newspaper recently:

'Blame us for 9/11 and face the consequences' Saudi Arabia issues warning over terror link

SAUDI Arabia has warned the United States of serious consequences if a ruling is made holding it responsible for the 9/11 attacks.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

04/20/2016 1:30 PM

Saying SA is responsible is like saying (sort of) that America is responsible for the Jim Jones Kool-Aid massacre. We might state on the other hand that terrorists with Saudi Arabian ties (to Bin Laden) were involved. This in no way states that any of the Saudi Royal family would ever sanction such an attack or support it in any way.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 175
In reply to #12

04/20/2016 1:29 PM

I couldn't agree with you more! At least once or twice a month I do battle with the ignorant twin towers conspiracy wingnutz on Facefuk....it gets tiring and old hat very quickly to repeat myself.

Not one of them have ever bothered to read the official reports, particularly the ASCE one, and if they did happen to read it none would necessarily understand the structural mechanics of the failures. SMH...

United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #12

04/20/2016 2:23 PM

Now with the help of that eventful, unexpected, and uneducated form of reversed engineering, architects and engineers alike learned the weaknesses and design flaws of the demolished twin towers! By having done so, taught them how to improve, strenghten their design strategies, together with strength of materials knowledge!

Whether the event was a conspiracy or really is not an issue, but whether backward or forward engineered, it does always matters for continued improvement! And that event showed them all the weak areas that technically needed improvement!

In my experience it was really difficult to mix any technical matters with politics !!

In reply to #20

04/20/2016 2:41 PM

Understanding even rudimentary engineering and physics should teach the trained observer, that this (the Twin Towers) was no demolition shot, and was not a government conspiracy. I am simply going to disregard people who ascribe such Machiavellian characteristics to our leaders of government. I know that such principles are useful in government, and can be for the best outcome (especially in times of war), but never in any sense could it be allowed, permitted, or postulated to rise to such a level as to conspire directly against the lives of so many people at once. To suggest such a thing simply requires suspension of sanity and reality.

In reply to #20

04/20/2016 2:53 PM

There was nothing, "uneducated" about that operation. It had been in planning for years!

Perhaps you missed the part where the pilots were instructed by an experienced architect. Bin Laden's family was heavily in to construction and no doubt had many architects on staff who would help.

The planes were all fully fueled for transcontinental flights and had just taken off.

None of this was by chance.

Some things are diffucult to plan for.

Japanese planners didn't plan for the tsunami that took out their nuclear power plant either.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #22

04/20/2016 5:20 PM

I agree Lyn, "Uneducated", may be a wrong choice of word. "Unorthodox" probably is a more preferable word to describe the methodology used in bringing down the towers...

At any rate, I was just across the East River, where my Brooklyn office windows was directly facing the towers when that tragic event took place! The haunting memories more so with the helplessness and hatred that lingers ......conspiracy or not!

In reply to #23

04/20/2016 5:30 PM

I watched it on TV, but the image of that second jet banking sharply at the last minute still comes back sometimes when a plane flies over.

My wife and mother-in-law were stranded in Estes Park Colorado for two days. They were on their way to Denver to fly home when all the planes were grounded.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #24

04/21/2016 4:57 PM

You do realize that Bin Laden was a degreed Civil Engineer, and there are quite a few books that a go into the exact way that it was designed and built. I watched it go up, and I watched it come down, plus I got within a block of "The Pile".

I always argue against the conspiracy theorists, but the one thing that I cannot explain is how it fell faster than gravity would have pulled a billiard ball released from the top at the instant the tower started falling.

In reply to #30

04/21/2016 5:57 PM

In my perspective the following logical reasons may have been mostly the contributing factors in that tragedy!

1) the amount of jet fuel burned within the building which caused immediate and unmeasurable degradation of all surrounding building materials. Materials that were all weakend, melted mainly due mostly to exposures to extreme temperatures...

2) the critical point, floor level where the tower was hit and where the jet plane got stuck, burning all of its fuel...

3) the weight of the upper floors that fell onto the lower floors, serving as a huge pile of reinforced concrete being driven down to an already weakend lower part of the tower! Similar to a domino effect as triggered by the melting of steel beams and evaporation of several floors together with the jet plane...

In reply to #32

04/22/2016 4:07 AM

I guess you add to that the weight of an aircraft & passengers.

In reply to #33

04/22/2016 7:04 AM

Plus all of the building occupants (RIP) that were not able to escape!

In reply to #30

04/22/2016 9:15 AM

I think you already have your answer to the faster than gravity statement. It is because there are impacts driving the failure below the falling material, and these transmit very quickly. Think of a giant landslide.

Does a landslide have to necessarily have the material at the top reach the bottom at the same time as the lower portions of landslide? NO! It self propagates similar to a wave, where the impinging material from above induces release of material much farther down, then the whole mass begins to move in unison. Otherwise, I do not believe pyroclastic flow could reach as high a velocity as it does.

In reply to #20

04/21/2016 4:15 AM

People that believe in the conspiracy do not understand the days & weeks of preparation required for a successful demolition. A lot of material has to be removed & weak spots created to allow the charges to make the final cut.

In reply to #25

04/21/2016 8:30 AM

As we used to say: "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." I have seen these gigantic egos coming up in the younger generation, and it follows from not having been broadly educated, but rather educated within the humanistic framework, where there is no higher power to be responsible to.

My Bible still contains the verse about rightful self image:

Romans 12:3

For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.

Thus it should be clear that we are put here to serve one another (lovingly) in humility, knowing that the greatest engineer sees and knows our plight, and is mindful of our frame.

In reply to #26

04/21/2016 5:12 PM

"Sober judgement" may be hard for some people to come by.

Vanity being what it is and keeping in mind:

No, there's not a reverent bone in my body.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #31

04/22/2016 9:17 AM

Not really in mine either, but I was raised by a sweet mother who was natural gardener, who seemed reverent in her ways, and had respect for God, so I must be related to her somehow.

In reply to #25

04/21/2016 9:05 AM

Any manmade event do need some thoughts and careful planning to succeed! The end results and lasting effects of such planning is what people normally accepts and believe!

Speculations and theories are always developed and made specially when the event turned into a tragedy! Anyone may or may not label them as conspiracies depending on their level of understanding, emotional involvement, etc.

In reply to #27

04/21/2016 11:13 AM

Considering that some people have never been to a city, and others have never been out of the city, there can be a broad spectrum of personal beliefs about the possible, likely, and impossible.

In reply to #28

04/21/2016 11:50 AM

now-a-days with the worldwide internet availability, only a person's knowledge and understandings are the only factors that should limit his/her bounds! Having said that, anything is possible, as one is only be limited by his/her own imagination and perception!

04/20/2016 8:41 AM

An engineering marvel! Highlighting the reversed engineering segment of it!

In reply to #11

04/20/2016 9:30 AM

Yeah, now go and play the thing back in reverse and see what it says.

04/20/2016 10:26 AM

Then there are the epic failures!

epic failure of demolition

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 175

04/20/2016 2:08 PM

FREAKING AWESOME!!! The Sapper in me got a charge (sarc.) watching those Shaped Charges slicing through columns and shear walls like a hot knife going through butter.

Grab a beer and a bucket of popcorn folks!

Got wood for a month now...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

CaptMoosie (2); energyconversion (4); James Stewart (10); lyn (7); Mikerho (1); Nigh (3); RAMConsult (1); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (1); vsar (7); walt (1)

Previous in Forum: Road Making   Next in Forum: How to Connect Waste Pipes from Toilets on Several Levels

Advertisement