CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Different Countersink Bits   Next in Forum: Product Assembly, Pre-Forming Screws and Bolts
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 9

Shipping

04/21/2016 10:04 AM

I, sadly, am looking at as many in the USA have said am thinking of going over to the dark side. Buying parts from China, instead of USA made. I never ever planned on doing it. But I can now see why soo many are doing it. And it all boils down to cost. Plain and simple. I could stay with the american part, but this is sooo hard to resist the dark side.

I got some samples of the Chinese made part, and sad to say, the level of quality is far more superior that the ones I have been buying from the best American source I have found.

So that alone is a possible reason to switch. But the BIG one is cost. WOW!

The American piece is 40 cents each.

The Chinese piece is 2 cents each! WOW! And of better quality, BUT...........

And there always is a but isn't there?

Getting them to me.

Airfreight is a NO GO, parts alone is 330Kg ( 730 Pounds ) that would be awful.

So a slow boat from china it is, and the cost of that only adds 0.8 cents to each piece for shipping costs. so now the part is almost 3 cents.

BUT..........

There is that BUT again. this only gets the parts to a port somewhere on the west coast.

Now they will be on a single pallet, BUT they are individually boxed so they can actually still be moved by hand if needed the 330Kg is divided up into 20 boxes. so less than 40 pounds each.

So, now how can I get them from this port, to me here in Wisconsin?

Thanks

Joe

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 771

Re: Shipping

04/21/2016 11:43 AM

Standard truck freight or if you don't like the prices take a road trip and go get them yourself!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #1

04/21/2016 11:56 AM

Are there companies that would pick it up at this dock, and bring it to Wisconsin?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

04/21/2016 1:25 PM

Check out FedEx freight. They deal with the heavy stuff above and beyond the normal things most associate FedEx with.

They may not be the cheapest but they are easy to deal with and reliable when it comes to dealing with the average guy needing something large shipped cross country.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1598
In reply to #3

04/21/2016 6:00 PM

As SE and Savvy said, get an import agent. Getting it through customs can be a deal breaker.

I've imported headset cables and other items from China. (20 years ago) It adds to the cost, but is the only way to go.

The freight/shipping is the easy part.

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 18

04/21/2016 11:56 AM

How much inbound freight to you have within North America? If you are shipping/receiving often, you can negotiate rate discounts with many LTL (less than load) carriers. Most have "partners" that can get freight delivered anywhere in North America, and some cover all of the area.

If you don't do that much inbound, you will be stuck with the carriers rate structure which is usually based on what the commodity is and the weight. Steel and iron parts are the cheapest rates. Generally speaking, the less dense the material, the higher the rate. Watch out how the rate is calculated as well - best to get a direct quote for you goods. And based on your location, might be up to 4 days once the skid gets offloaded from the boat.

As for the parts themselves, better check that the production parts are as good as the samples. Watch out for the bait and switch. It wouldn't be the first time.

Good Answers: 1141

04/21/2016 12:31 PM

Better to just go through an agent....

In reply to #4

04/21/2016 12:45 PM

For the domestic portion google freight forwarding companies and you should find a lot of them.

Anonymous Poster #1

04/21/2016 12:40 PM

Did you ask the Chinese source about this? They deal in HUGE volumes and you are not the first to have this problem.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Lifelong New Yorker Popular Science - Biology - Animal Science Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Technical Writer CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Community Manager

Good Answers: 59

04/21/2016 12:40 PM

I agree with SolarEagle, look into a freight forwarder to figure this out for you. If your stuff is in its own container, it could likely be sent on to you via train or truck.

At the bottom of the Wikipedia page I listed above they have a section for USA where they link to some accreditations you will want to consider.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 622

04/21/2016 12:56 PM

I think DHL ships worldwide. No doubt there are other companies.

But before you commit fully, do some more research. I hear a LOT of complaints about inferior quality of goods made in China. Those samples you got may be the equivalent of a 'loss leader' - high quality initial samples, but followed by low quality volume production.

In reply to #8

04/21/2016 2:11 PM

Luckily,

in my final product I have a few places where if a bad part quality was to be found. I could use it anyway, because of a cosmetic reason it is not visible anyway. So I could still use thee cheap inferior balls in those locations anyway.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 341

04/21/2016 8:40 PM

I've said for a long time, the quality from China is constantly improve. There still is low quality items. The thing I have against China, is how they poach ideas and patents.

As far as shipping, we had fabricated a dairy plant process equipment and shipped to China in pieces for them to assembly, it was a headache.

Then we teamed up with a export agent that specialized in exporting dairy equipment, even shared a booth with them at the McCormick Place in Chicago. That is the way to go.

Good Answers: 27

04/22/2016 3:45 AM

I don't know if any companies in Wisconsin export goods but if they do; their trucking company may be looking for 'back freight' from the port to Wisconsin. They often ask for less, just to cover fuel and wages.

Jim

United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 176
In reply to #13

04/22/2016 7:12 AM

That has worked well for me in the past. A load of bagged lime would depart from the works on a flat back lorry, the lorry would return with engineering parts. As you say, to the haulier it was a bonus.

I had to use lorry instead of wagon, I'm English

In reply to #13

04/22/2016 11:55 AM

More commonly know as a "back haul", at least in Canada.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 341
In reply to #13

04/22/2016 12:04 PM

We do, we'll get a couple of quotes and the companies always say we can get a cheaper rate if they aren't hauling empty on one of the legs.

Good Answers: 19

04/22/2016 11:42 AM

You're sowing the seeds of your own destruction.

China is nothing but a state-backed organized crime syndicate run by the goons and thugs in Beijing.

And you're worrying about freight problems?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

04/22/2016 10:00 PM

And that differs from us in the in the US how?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #18

04/24/2016 10:20 AM

Maybe not differs, but adds to.

Instead of one just bunch of crooks screwing you at every turn you now have two state-backed organized crime syndicates run by goons and thugs screwing you at every turn.

Is that better?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1598
In reply to #18

04/24/2016 12:22 PM

Many ways!

Register to Reply
Participant

04/28/2016 3:40 AM

Are there companies that would pick it up at this dock, and bring it to Wisconsin?

Re: Shipping UP-DATE

04/28/2016 8:43 AM

UP-DATE

The manufacturer suggested a company they have used before, ( A Company in Chicago ) The bring them from L. A. to me here in Wisconsin.

UG! ya gotta be kidding me!

I can BUY 20K balls, and ship them from China to L.A. for $418 USD

But to get these same balls from L.A. to Wisconsin, will cost another $600+ dollars just in transportation costs. then add in any possible duties fees, and bunch of other fees that add on another 100 bucks.

wow.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 22 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); JIMRAT (1); Kevin LaPaire (3); lyn (2); nguoiduatin196 (1); NSS (3); phoenix911 (2); SavvyExacta (1); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (3); TonyS (1); Usbport (1); wrenchtwirler (2)

Previous in Forum: Different Countersink Bits   Next in Forum: Product Assembly, Pre-Forming Screws and Bolts

Advertisement