CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Computer Science Education Week, December 7-13   Next in Forum: Is Cursive Going The Way Of The VCR?
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Associate
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 2

Masters of Science / Engineering in Electrical Engineering

04/23/2016 7:15 PM

Good day fellow Engineers, i would like again to consult all of you with regards to the above mentioned subject.

First i will also give my academic and field experience so you can help me easily / suggest or even advise properly.

I am 26 years old will be turning 27 this December, i got my Bachelor's degree back in the year 2011, got my professional license in 2012 at the age of 22 and has 4 years experience in the Power Systems track of Electrical Engineering particularly in Protection, Energy Meters, Power Systems Simulation and switchgears.

Question, when is it advisable to pursue a Master's degree? Based from your experience what age do you took your MSEE/MEEE degree? and How long? What is the practical advantage of having one in your current work? Also is it true that it is too hard to come up with a topic that will be the highlight of your thesis? If so can you give me some practical example/ ideas on how you came up with a topic during the course of your MSEE/MEEE study.

My future plan is that after i've gain field experience, i will enter in the academe and share my knowledge to students. Also i know that to qualify as an instructor i need to be at least a Master's degree holder and advantage if i took Ph.D study.

I hope that you can help me with this guys, reason why i always ask here instead of google is that i really enjoy the interaction here, the suggestions that each member contributes and most of all the sharing of knowledge.

Thank you so much and have a great day ahead.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1588

Re: Masters of Science / Engineering in Electrical Engineering

04/23/2016 7:34 PM

Perhaps you can enlighten us with some of the things that you have actually done.

I don't mean taking the information gleaned from asking questions of this forum and using it, but some examples of accomplishments made by you based on the strength of your education and experience.

In other words, what have you done to make you believe that you are ready to advance?

You certainly are not ready to teach, unless you subscribe to the philosophy that those who can, do and those who can't, teach.

Register to Reply
Associate

04/23/2016 7:55 PM

^ Hi Lyn thank you so much for the feedback, my experience during those 4 years in the field are mostly in testing:

• Meter Accuracy Testing for Transformer Rated / Self Contained Meters
  • Testing of CTs
  • Testing of Protective Relays
  • Design of Protection Panels

I will also agree to this "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" that is why i choose to work first in the field rather than do the Master's degree right away after college. So i can combine my experience in the field with the theory needed by the student in his / her study so they can have at least a glimpse of what is really happening outside the school walls.

Further my goal is that i want to learn how to make relay settings that will be feeded to protective relays based from my system that is modeled by me. Also if circumstances will allow me (i will also put a lot of effort for this) is that i will also cover stability.

Also based from your experience, when did you decide that it is time to pursue the MS degree? or ME perhaps?

As of now, i do some calculations in power flow and short circuit studies.

Thank you so much

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

04/23/2016 8:17 PM

The bullet points you list all seem to be subjects that you needed outside help to accomplish. You asked here for clarification for most of them.
I want to know what you, a young engineer from Asia, can put on a CV or resume as personal achievements.
Using technical references to understand concepts is fine.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #3

04/23/2016 8:44 PM

Yes most of the topics in bullet are what i experience and encounter on a daily basis.

I can send you my CV so you can assess it. I will send i thru PM.

Thank you so much lyn

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

04/24/2016 12:24 PM

I will look at this when I am in the office.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

04/25/2016 12:17 PM

Would you like the assessment here, in the open, or via PM?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1129
In reply to #2

04/23/2016 8:19 PM

What kind of student are you? That is did you do well in academic studies and testing?

Are you comfortable working in the field? Have you worked at the same job for all four years, tell us about that...Have you designed anything? Are you comfortable troubleshooting electrical/electronic systems....Are you happy in your present job, do you plan on staying there? What is your general geographic location?

In reply to #4

04/23/2016 8:48 PM

With regards to academic studies i can do most of the calculations and can understand basic and complex ideas. In testing i can easily adopt to procedures and concepts with regards to wiring setups and other related points in doing testing for primary and secondary assets. With regards to design i can design switchgears but that was a long time ago it was on my first job. Yes i am comfortable in troubleshooting ee systems. Further my approach is i like doing hands on work then i will mix theory therefore increasing my knowledge and understanding in the said work.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #6

04/23/2016 10:38 PM

You seem a little too vague to me. What kind of calculations can you perform with or without the use of a spreadsheet? Is your idea of a complex problem using Steinmetz's induction motor model because it uses complex (aka imaginary) numbers or performing a statistical analysis of the random results of a process to try and understand the underlying root causes of the chaotic deviations?

Good Answers: 416

04/24/2016 3:45 AM

First, I'd like to know what country grants a professional license to someone with only one year of work experience?

Second, I'd like to know what courses you took that comprise the "Power Systems Track", what were your favorite ones, and how well you did in them.

Third, I was a co-op student at a utility, gaining experience in distribution, system planning, generation, transmission, and systems engineering. After graduation I knew where I fit in the organization, and they did too.

Regarding your questions:

1. Age has little to do with earning a degree; experience, timing, lifecycle events do.

2. I earned (not received) my MSEE/CS at night, 4years after my BSEE/PS, while working full time for a utility.

3. The practical advantage was that I had 10 letters (BSEE, MSCS, PE) on my business card; the real advantage was that I had a great knowledge base that helped me understand how all the systems and subsystems of an integrated power system "play nicely" together.

4. If you believe that choosing a thesis subject is "too hard" or you can't think of one, then you don't know your field very well, aren't passionate about it, nor are you ready to choose one.

5. Get as broad an understanding of the inner workings of a power system as possible; then you won't have to find the topic, it will find you.

Your future plans need to be actionable, based on your experience and what you have learned well. Before you go into academia you should consider becoming an SME (Subject Matter Expert); it enabled me to become an Adjunct Professor developing and teaching an evening graduate level program in PSE even as I continued working at the utility. The highlight of the program was taking the class on a field trip to one of the many generating stations that I had equipment in. I had no time or desire to get a PhD, but I do wish I had gotten my MSME, just think of it, 14 letters after my name!

Class dismissed...

Good Answers: 16

04/25/2016 5:51 AM

On what basis you think that you will be a good teacher? It is not necessary that a knowledgeable person would prove to be a good teacher. To know your subject is different than to make someone understand what you know. One should also have aptitude towards teaching. As a trial you may help some average student to understand your subject right from fundamentals. This would give you feed back about your aptitude towards teaching.

It has been rightly said that you should be able to find your own thesis topic. You would have definitely come across many occasions where you would have felt the need for some academic help or research. Take that topic and then contact some university for post graduate / research work.

Register to Reply
Associate

04/28/2016 7:51 PM

Dear All,

Thank you for all the suggestions and insights being shared here in our discussion. I admit that i think it is too early for me to pursue a MSEE degree. Once again thank you for the kind suggestions it made me come to a realization on how will i proceed for the next 3 or 5 years. Thank you so much

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 12 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

lyn (4); mrbrightside (4); pcchatur (1); RAMConsult (1); redfred (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Computer Science Education Week, December 7-13   Next in Forum: Is Cursive Going The Way Of The VCR?

Advertisement