CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Masters of Science / Engineering in Electrical Engineering   Next in Forum: Education & Student Support Area on CR4 - Any Interest?
Close
Close
Close
61 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 210

Is Cursive Going The Way Of The VCR?

04/27/2016 2:16 PM

is it doomed as a skill all children learn in school?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 750

Re: is cursive going the way of the vcr?

04/27/2016 2:21 PM

yeah, and so is capitalization.

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #1

04/27/2016 2:22 PM

And spelling and grammar

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

04/27/2016 9:14 PM
Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700
In reply to #2

04/28/2016 4:08 AM

"Grammar - the difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t" - Anon

Good Answers: 230
In reply to #23

04/28/2016 5:11 AM

And the difference between "Let's eat, grandma.", and, "Let's eat grandma."

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #24

04/28/2016 6:00 AM

Either way they read it, it will still be the same outcome these days. Punctuation is dead. Cell phones and email killed it.

Punctuation is something one gets in a vehicle tyre.

Puncher is a flat tyre- (Brit)/ (tire-US) in Africa and amazingly they can fix punchers on wheels.

NB, Tyre is a rubber form on a wheel rim. Tire is a form of fatigue. Tire is binding a female, and the pen is no more mightier than the sword!

Comma: when some is ill.

Inverted comma: not ill, upside down in a hospital bed.

Exclamation mark: A deep scratch on a car paint work.

Period: Something a woman has.

Question mark: Something one does when noticing an exclamation mark on the car.

Parenthisis: Mum and dad.

Octothorpe #. Type of sea creature with many arms.

Pound sign £: Time to go on diet.

Hyphen -: Where one gets water or what ones does when you need fuel from another vehicle.

Apostrophe ': What happens when the day goes very badly. Or one of the 12 lads in the Bible.

Ampersand &; A gritty substance one gets covered with on a beech.

< >: Mr & Mrs Pacman

Asterisk *: A cartoon character.

Backslash, forward slash/ \: Something one gets for being cheeky to an adult

May the Power be with you! (In your cell phone battery).

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #25

05/04/2016 8:20 AM

And Tyre is a city...

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #24

04/28/2016 9:51 AM

Commas, not just good grammar, they can also save lives.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #30

04/28/2016 10:14 AM

He was in a coma comma and the hospital save his life full stop All were happy exclamation mark

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #24

04/28/2016 10:31 AM

Speaking of twisted grammar, I remember a puzzle from an old computer game, Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge.

To open this one door, you had to perform seven steps in sequence, out of about ten controls. You had the instructions, but they were written in 'Dwarvish Grammar' (aka 'Rambling Engineer') so the steps on the page were not in the order they were to be performed. i.e.: "After A, you do C, making sure B has been set first, then you do E, F, and G, once you have confirmed that X is off and D is on.." For sequence A-B-C-D-E-F-G. My brother could never get through that door, and kept setting off the booby trap (doing F while X was on triggered the trap).

I read through the instructions twice on the screen, then wrote them all out (the instructions were on a multi-'page' dialog, so some of the "but do this first" parts were on the screen AFTER the stuff you do after "do this first"), and pieced the correct order out of the instructions.

I even gave my brother a copy of the 'corrected instructions' and he STILL couldn't get through the door. How big did I have to write "Turn off X" for him to get it?

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #1

04/27/2016 2:33 PM

SORRY

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 22

04/27/2016 2:41 PM

Kinda difficult to do cursive script using only your two thumbs!

NOTE - ex-calligrapher here!

Good Answers: 1128

04/27/2016 2:44 PM
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 265

Re: Is Cursive Going The Way Of The VCR?

04/27/2016 3:30 PM

Wot's a VCR, and which way is it going?

Guru

Good Answers: 576

04/27/2016 3:31 PM

Them kids heer enuf cursin on TV witout larnin' it in school!

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 620

04/27/2016 4:04 PM
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #8

04/28/2016 2:33 AM

Very Clever Retard.

Register to Reply
Guru

04/27/2016 4:51 PM

Good Answers: 1588

04/27/2016 5:14 PM

Sadly, cursive is dying.

Interestingly enough, I'd be willing to say that everyone reading this forum can write in cursive, except any doctors who may be members of course.

There's plenty of resistance, like:"It's hard because you have to keep the pen down and connect the letters," said Luis Carlos Miranda, who Chapman described as one of the better writers in her class of 23.

Should Arizona schools still teach cursive writing?

Before long, we'll all just be speaking into our devices and someday, we'll have a chip at the base of our skull and we can think and communicate without any effort at all.

Hopefully, the Great Scottie in the Sky will have beamed me up before then.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #10

07/15/2016 10:02 PM

"...someday, we'll have a chip at the base of our skull and we can think and communicate without any effort at all."

Was Simon & Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence prophetic?

Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Popular Science - Weaponology -

Good Answers: 38

04/27/2016 5:53 PM

I was shocked when I first heard about this, I and thought it was a joke. But it's no joke. It doesn't even make any sense.

When I was a kid and saw the Declaration of Independence (you Brits out there, feel free to plug your ears for a minute), the only problem I had reading it was telling the f's from the s's. Now kids will look at it and do no more than give it a stupid stare of incomprehension.

I think this trend is asinine. Which specific individuals make these decisions??!

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 336
In reply to #11

04/27/2016 6:50 PM

I agree, looking at the old papers or documents that were hand written even from ones grandfather. I was impressed.... My handwriting has always been poor, I didn't realize how bad when that my 2nd grade teacher (in penmanship class) was paying me a compliment when she looked at my work and said... You'd make a good doctor.

I was out of high school when I realized that was no compliment. ;-)

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 750
In reply to #11

04/27/2016 6:59 PM

You should see some examples of cross-cursive writing. When paper was scarce, people would write until the page was full, and then turn it 90d and write crosswise directly on top. Not uncommon in the 1800s.

Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Popular Science - Weaponology -

In reply to #13

04/27/2016 7:13 PM

Agreed! And you don't need to go back to the 1800's! The mail we used to get from my relatives in then-communist Poland back in the 70's was exactly that! So combine old fashioned European style cursive writing, with a layer of cross writing, with thin cheap paper that showed the writing through from the other side, with Polish language, which I only have mastered to the level of a fourth-grader.... and I'll tell you what... THAT is a puzzle for the ages! One double sided sheet would take me several evenings to decipher that they were saying "Rich American cousins... SEND DOLLARS!"

And even then, we would have to sew them into the clothes we sent, or else the Customs guards would pocket it. Unless of course they also pocketed the clothes. Then we were SOL.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

04/27/2016 7:38 PM

any chance you could send me 100 pair of Levis?

Guru

In reply to #15

04/27/2016 7:51 PM

Przepraszam pan Fredski. ale nie mam Levi's.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #15

04/27/2016 7:55 PM

No... I bought two new pairs of Levi's last Sunday wore one of them once and then belt loop pull off when I pulled them up. I checked he'd them before I bought it, but must have missed one belt loop. Very poor quality sewing and not enough threads. Wrangle and Lee's (the poorest quality) and Cartharts the same... But one type of Cartharts, has heavier canvas, and heavily sewn.

Good Answers: 33
In reply to #17

04/28/2016 1:46 PM

Try Duluth Trading--Tough pants….

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #37

04/28/2016 2:55 PM

Co-worker mention that also... That is the next on my list.

When I mentioned about the problem, I did quite realized it was so wide spread.

Quite a few chimed in and said they're having the same problems.

Thanks

In reply to #37

04/29/2016 2:08 PM

Duluth Trading. Tough pants, comfy underwear....

...disturbing commercials.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #46

04/29/2016 3:34 PM

Yeah--I am trying to get off their mailing list…Easier to get on than off---Good stuff tho', and something is always on sale...

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #11

04/28/2016 1:06 PM

"I think this trend is asinine. Which specific individuals make these decisions??!"
Asses.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #11

07/15/2016 10:06 PM

"Now kids will look at it and do no more than give it a stupid stare of incomprehension."

Ever wonder if that was the purpose to begin with?

In reply to #56

07/18/2016 2:50 PM

"Ever wonder if that was the purpose to begin with?"

Could be, could be. Break the link with History, and you can rewrite History to suit your purposes. It's so simple, so subtle, Machiavelli would be proud.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 80

04/27/2016 11:15 PM

I certainly hope so.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #19

04/28/2016 11:06 AM

My penmanship was always so bad that I quit trying to write cursive (except for my signature) somewhere between 50 and 60 years ago. I used to be able to read my own signature, but now only the first 2 or 3 letters are distinguishable. I only write 2 or 3 checks a year, and they don't seem to care whether it is legible. Ditto for the signature pads on credit card machines...

In reply to #33

04/28/2016 1:08 PM

As long as the signature resembles the one on the signature card, it's all good. And they only check against the card if there has been an 'issue' raised, such as "I lost my checkbook, and I don't remember the last good check I wrote," or "I never wrote a check for THAT."

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #36

04/29/2016 2:01 PM

Several years ago, a friend of mine had several checks ripped out of the middle of his business register, and fraudulently filled in and the thief was able to cash them at the main branch of his own bank. No one checked his ID. My friend was able to use the account signature registry against the bank and was refunded all monies back into his account. I imagine the teller / s were given a severe reprimand, or worse, for failing their own verification requirements. BTW, the amounts were in the 5 figures, 5 times in 4 days..

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #44

04/29/2016 2:05 PM

5 figures? to the left of the decimal point?

That also flags the IRS.

In reply to #45

04/29/2016 3:31 PM

Each check was in excess of $10K.. He had kept a business account with that bank, and its successors, for over 40 years, so they may have thought of it as GoldPlated, and dropped their guard on the withdrawals. It boggled my mind when I read the Bank's letter of apology and re-instatement of funds. (Probably to ward off a future Lawsuit.. and further penalties)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #47

04/29/2016 5:16 PM

It's not uncommon for a business even a small one to issue checks in excess of 5 figures. I just see it hard for people to get away with it.

04/28/2016 12:18 AM
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.

04/28/2016 4:06 AM

The skill stands on its own. It is the use of the skill that is at risk.

There is a raft of stuff in Wikipedia on this topic.

• There is a book in the bookcase in the bothy that is written in German script dating from 1934; it is practically unreadable because the use of the skill is declining.

04/28/2016 7:59 AM

Just think of all the new jobs created. 'Cursive Translating Specialist'

Guru

In reply to #26

04/28/2016 12:57 PM

Would that be a public servant?

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 59

04/28/2016 8:18 AM

Tell me, when is the last time you had to write something? I don't mean print in a blank on a form, but actually write. Other than signing my name on checks, yes, I still use them and they are going the way of the VCR as well, I can't remember the last time I did so. That barely qualifies as long hand writing, because I followed my Father's style - make it illegible and very hard to copy.

Last time I checked, around here, it is not taught in school anymore. At least, not formally, as there are no more writing classes.

Foot note - VCR??? I still have a Sony Beta recorder. Now that is really obsolete.

In reply to #27

04/28/2016 8:22 AM

keep it next to the rotary phone

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

04/28/2016 8:47 AM

Well, not quite. but if my wife wasn't on 24 hour/7 day per week call, there would be no cell phones in our house that were turned on. We still use our wall mount push button dial land line phone. (another thing facing obsolescence)

I actually precede that device. I remember our first dial phone we got when I was 10 years old. We were party line and operator call until 1960 where I grew up.

Have you tried to buy a rotary lately? They are certified antiques now, and priced accordingly. I sold at least one per day in a temporary job at Radio Shack in 1972 for $5.00. In 2016 dollars, that's about $29.00. If you can find some at an antique store for that little, buy as many as they will sell you. I can move them here easily for double that.

In reply to #27

04/28/2016 2:02 PM

In our family, going back more than 5 Generations, we have made it a point to Always write Thank You notes, for any kindness offered, whether it be gifts or deeds. It really bonds you to the person and deed, and makes you take time for 1), going out and finding an appropriate card, and 2), sitting down and writing something appropriate. You will be surprised what responses follow. We do the same for all the Holidays, Birthdays, and the like. No E-cards allowed. We keep all of the written cards each year, and go through them before the Holiday season, make a list , and use it for part of our Holiday cards. We taught the Daughter to do the same, and I am sure she will pass it down to her children. It is getting harder for me to write as I have arthritis in my wrist due to Occupational reasons, but it forces me to use that wrist, and also forces my mind to slow down, and really think about what I am going to say, and then saying it in writing, Proper composition before writing makes sure you don't have to redo another card due to an error. My Second grade Teacher would be proud, as I spent many hours, during my turn, practicing my cursive on the blackboard in front of the other students. But that is just me.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #38

04/28/2016 2:26 PM

Yeah - that's what wives are for. She picks the card, writes any notes, and then just my signature needed, which as I explained, is definitely not cursive. If I personally sent a card to someone who knows me, they'd have a heart attack or stroke, or at least call to see if I'm loosing grip on reality. I am not what one would ever describe as a social being, and those around me know it, and apparently accept it. I have more conversations on this site, then I have any day at home or work. As Paul Simon once sang, I am a rock.

The teacher most concerned about writing properly, was my sixth grade teacher, and strangely enough, male. Men usually don't get into the finer side of neatness, but he was definitely a Felix Unger type. Always dressed so neat and proper. Other teachers had tried, but it took a man with a good oaken ruler in hand to get us to obey and write properly. (punishment was allowed in those days)

Unfortunately, any resemblance of fine penmanship he taught me disappeared in the last 54 years. It all started when I had to fill out multiple government forms, daily, with long descriptions on them, in a past job. Writing was much faster than printing. Sloppy writing even faster, and no-one ever really read them.

In reply to #38

04/28/2016 2:56 PM

A hand written note or in a letter form always carries weight.

More so than a email or text.

United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #27

07/18/2016 8:18 AM

I write my report first drafts in long hand...and I'm ~20 years younger than most of you...

In reply to #57

07/18/2016 8:22 AM

and I'm ~20 years younger than most of you...

your 3 years old ... you're quite an articulate unbelievable child.

In reply to #58

07/19/2016 8:12 AM

As my Mummy will confirm

Good Answers: 1

04/29/2016 1:43 AM

Sadly yes. We need to slow down and care about our language and skills.

Register to Reply
Guru

04/29/2016 9:01 AM
Hobbies - Musician - New Member CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 5

05/01/2016 8:00 PM

It is too bad they are not going to teach cursive writing in schools anymore, although some are still teaching the children how to sign their name. It is a nice skill to have and a beautiful way to correspond, even though my writing has a lot to be desired - more like chicken scratch. I find that I can write faster in cursive than print, it seems to flow across the page without having to stop and pick up your pen as often. Kind of like typing faster on a keyboard instead of an old fashioned typewriter.

In reply to #50

05/01/2016 8:11 PM

It literally amazes me that a college educated person today can't read my writing, It seems like a foreign language to them, unreal

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 15

05/02/2016 6:43 PM

As an educator, I am no longer allowed to write cursive on the board, because many students can no longer read it. Printing takes longer. The long term effect is less teaching gets done.

The high lite. Us slightly older people now have a secret code from youngsters. Writing.

Good Answers: 1588
In reply to #52

05/02/2016 7:26 PM

We have igpay atinlay oota.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #52

07/19/2016 8:15 AM

I've heard it said that a way to avoid surveillance is to use the hand-written word, and avoid all e-comms.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (1); adreasler (5); Anonymous Poster (1); BestInShow (1); C-Mac (5); Casper71 (2); dkwarner (1); Doorman (1); English Rose (4); Fredski (5); GameJudge (1); gbb1277 (1); IQ (2); Jan Murray (1); LakeGrl (1); lyn (2); Out of Box Experience (3); phoenix911 (8); Phys (3); PWSlack (3); Randall (1); Rixter (1); silvCrow (1); SolarEagle (3); StandardsGuy (1); Tornado (2); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Masters of Science / Engineering in Electrical Engineering   Next in Forum: Education & Student Support Area on CR4 - Any Interest?

Advertisement