CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®
Login | Register for Engineering Community (CR4)

Previous in Forum: How to Connect Waste Pipes from Toilets on Several Levels   Next in Forum: Lead Pipes
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Splicing

04/29/2016 8:22 AM

my question is i have a span of 27 meters footing tie beam and the available deformed bars here is from 6 meters up to 12 meters only.how can i splice the top rebars and bottom rebars

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 673

Re: splicing

04/29/2016 8:28 AM

Ask the Civils Designer.

Good Answers: 963

Re: Splicing

04/29/2016 10:17 AM

..." splice continuous top bars at mid span and splice continuous bottom bars at or near supports. "...

ACI 318-11 covers this....

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=361292

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #2

04/29/2016 11:18 AM

Yes thats the rule but the span is 27 meters if i used the 12mts long so its still short

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 963
In reply to #3

04/29/2016 11:59 AM
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 175
In reply to #3

04/30/2016 7:50 AM

Use Mechanical Splicing devices and 3 pieces of rebar, so it really doesn't matter where you place the devices.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 175

04/30/2016 7:58 AM

Take a look at Halfens "Bargrip" Coupler, as it doesn't involve threaded rebar ends, which I am not fond of, unless you have low stresses in the steel.

http://halfen-moment.com/en/wp-content/pdf/Coupler.pdf

Good Answers: 96

04/30/2016 11:10 PM

The ACI 318 book is a good one to look at--a lap splice is generally acceptable, if tied together. Units of measure are US, not metric, but conversion should be straightforward. I believe part of that has been used in www.daytonsuperior.com/docs/default.../ds_rebar_splicing_hb.pdf?...44.
The table on page 6 gives length of lap for various bar sizes and concrete strengths under two cases of bar spacing, with separate entries for top or bottom bars.

--JMM

Guru

Good Answers: 108

05/04/2016 5:46 AM

I seem to remember reading that if rebars are overlapped there is no need for couplers, as the bond strength, overlap length*bar circumference*bond shear strength, can exceed the allowable bar tensile load. But maybe somebody will say that's wrong.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); CaptMoosie (2); Codemaster (1); jmueller (1); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: How to Connect Waste Pipes from Toilets on Several Levels   Next in Forum: Lead Pipes

Advertisement