CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Clamping Force Calculations for Drilling & Face Milling   Next in Forum: Brazing Heating Coil with Nickel Pipe
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Participant

I Want To Mfg This Part But Dont Know How If Any Have Idea Than Plz Guide Me.....

05/02/2016 2:34 PM
Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 995

Re: i want to mfg this part bt dont know how if any have idea than plz guide me.....

05/02/2016 2:58 PM

This looks like some sort of drive shaft coupler for a front wheel drive....We would have to know what forces are involved to determine the material and strength is required....It looks like steel but there are tempering concerns in manufacturing processes that may come into play....there is a possibility that it could be printed 3D, or perhaps cast in some way....but most likely machined from steel....

http://www.brmotorsports.com/swivelsplinedriveshaftandcoupler.aspx

Guru

Good Answers: 738

Re: i want to mfg this part bt dont know how if any have idea than plz guide me.....

05/02/2016 3:11 PM

If you don't have the skills to use complete words when asking professionals for help do you think that they would think you have the skills to manufacture high precision parts from high strength tempered alloy steel?

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 483

Re: I Want To Mfg This Part But Dont Know How If Any Have Idea Than Plz Guide Me.....

05/02/2016 4:11 PM

Who made the one you are holding in your hand?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 738
In reply to #3

Re: I Want To Mfg This Part But Dont Know How If Any Have Idea Than Plz Guide Me.....

05/02/2016 5:22 PM

Probably someone with at least a lathe and milling machine and a huge amount of expensive accessories and applied knowledge to go with them.

Or maybe a chunk of billet alloy steel and a Dremel rotary tool and a year or two or five of free time.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1533

05/02/2016 6:34 PM

Looks like a constant velocity U-joint.

1. If you only want to manufacture 1-50, contact a custom machine shop in your area.

2. If you want to manufacture higher volumes, borrow $500,000.00 USD and buy a machine center and hire someone to program and run it.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 995

05/02/2016 9:45 PM

You would also need a technical drawing with all the measurements from top, side and front....

Good Answers: 26

05/02/2016 10:54 PM

Depending on the required tolerances and the material, looks like an alloy steel or ductile iron part, and depending on the quantity, Investment Casting might be a possibility followed by hobbing to clean up the interior spline and machining the OD's and ID's where needed. All depends on how much investment you're willing to make and again it depends a lot on the quantity involved and its ultimate use and the torque or horsepower being transmitted.

Location: Savannah, GA. The post office decided to change my address again.
Good Answers: 19

05/02/2016 11:39 PM

Actually looks like a case for net shape forging process, expensive, unless you are making a very large quantity, even then it ain't cheap!!

This is a process that one of the manufacturers I worked for uses, very hard on the equipment due to the heat and pressures applied, be prepared to open your piggy bank!!

Oh, and did I mention that that is just the beginning of the process? then it has to be machined, tempered, annealed, cleaned and possibly machined again.

Good luck.

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked.(Lord Chesterfield)
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 89

05/03/2016 3:19 AM

We can surly exclude sewing!

Pick your poison:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_manufacturing_processes

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 65

05/03/2016 3:23 AM

Go back to school and start with taking "machine shop" 101 and 101a, then work your way through CNC programing and milling. During your course of metallurgy, if you pay close attention, you'll also learn about the hardening process and the steps that it takes to produce the part your hold in your hand.

There's not enough time nor space on this forum to teach you from ground zero.

Oh yeah, plz no short hand texting, it doesn't work here, we refuse to translate it!

Good Answers: 218

05/03/2016 5:15 AM

What material is it made from? What does it need to be made from?

Why have you taken the photograph on your bed, especially when someone is clearly trying to get some sleep in the background?

Good Answers: 89
In reply to #11

05/03/2016 8:09 AM

LOL. I did miss that one!

Good Answers: 1533
In reply to #11

05/03/2016 11:06 PM

Are those cargo pajamas?

Backgrounds in photographs can be very telling.

The upper left photo is very interesting.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

In reply to #18

05/03/2016 11:19 PM

I'm thinking maybe a motel/hotel room?

United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 171
In reply to #18

05/04/2016 6:37 AM

The original contents of the box may be in the cargo pajamas pyjamas.

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 79

05/03/2016 8:05 AM

I don't see anyone being able to machine those tight rads so deep, I suspect, like a previous poster, that this was forged then machined. Could be cast but I'd worry about the strength if it is a drivetrain component. Given the very large splines in the cup part I wonder if this takes a rubber coupling?

Good Answers: 35

05/03/2016 9:03 AM

I worked in a couple machine shops (for a 'brief-while'), wherein some pretty fine pieces having pretty fine tolerances were produced (and subsequently tested, using Helium mass spectrometry).

My first assumption (seeing all the intricacies) would have been a CNC EDM process (though I picture this as being perhaps 'too-slow'... perhaps only used for final touch-ups?).

Never having worked one, I am simply guessing... but, will tune-in here to (hopefully) become enlightened...

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 32

05/03/2016 10:28 AM

Where did that part you are holding in your hand come from and why do you want to manufacture it yourself?

That looks like a factory made part already. It would be much cheaper to order it from the factory, rather than make it yourself. The factory probably has a whole warehouse full of them and can sell them to you way cheaper than you making it yourself. Furthermore, like many people have stated, making a large quantity is much cheaper than just making one. First you're going to have a die charge, which is going to be about $2500, $800 if made in China. Then there is the set up cost for each process it takes to make the part. The more parts made at once, the more that cost is spread around.

You're better off ordering from the factory. With the Factory you also have their warranty and quanlity assurance.

Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 78

05/03/2016 6:34 PM

Is that a terrorist on your bed? Is the part from a nuclear weapon? We don't help terrorists.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #16

05/03/2016 10:36 PM

Makes ya kinda wonder, huh? Making of IED shrapnel?

Sorry about your weather this last weekend! My ex moved in it her new home over the weekend and I had an ear full about it about the weather this morning!

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #16

05/05/2016 12:46 AM

Just what I was thinking, StandardsGuy.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 181

05/08/2016 4:48 PM

Most probably the part was hot/cold pressed, cold calibrated and then machined. As alternatives you have pre machining and electrospark profiling or manufacturing by additive 3D techniques and machinig. It could be possible to make it by welding together several parts by EB (lowest possible distortion).

A solution can be suggested ONLY if :

1- you give the usage of it and

2- make a drawing

3- show the counter part.

To me it appears as part of an elastic coupling or a part of a homo kinetic coupling with an axial sliding capacity.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 22 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dj95401 (3); drdave (1); IdeaSmith (2); Janissaries (1); lyn (2); ndt-tom (1); nick name (1); Nigh (1); Randall (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (2); Spinco (1); StandardsGuy (1); tcmtech (2); TonyS (1); Wrench twirler (1)

Previous in Forum: Clamping Force Calculations for Drilling & Face Milling   Next in Forum: Brazing Heating Coil with Nickel Pipe

Advertisement