CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: 3D Cutting Motorised Automation Stages   Next in Forum: Damage Simulation with Dynamic-Temp-Disp in Abaqus ?
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member

Good Answers: 7

Different Versions of MS Office

05/05/2016 8:34 PM

For the last two years I have used MS Office 365 but have not been satisfied with certain features/programs. The latest change to Outlook will not even let me send an e-mail. I plan to purchase the full featured Office Home & Business 2016.

I'm not afraid of software, but I respect it very much!! If I install the 2016 will it cause conflicts with the 365? Word and Excel data files are resident on my computer, but I worry more about Contacts and Outlook clashing (crashing).

Any help or hints?? ss

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1589

Re: Different Versions of MS Office

05/05/2016 10:46 PM

Get away from Microsoft software altogether.

It is a giant waste of time and money.

You will be a slave forever.

You will no longer own the rights to anything, but rather you will rent the privilege of using it.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1129
In reply to #1

05/05/2016 11:38 PM

"Microsoft Says 300 Million Devices Run Windows 10"

http://fortune.com/2016/05/05/microsoft-windows-10-devices/

Good Answers: 1589
In reply to #3

05/06/2016 4:31 AM

Pay up sucker!

That reflects Microsoft's move to embrace cloud computing and delivering software features and capabilities in a continuous stream via a subscription service.

Register to Reply
Guru

05/05/2016 11:32 PM

Well you might save the files to a thumb drive as a backup just to be safe....My understanding is that Office 2016 is the same as Office 365 only it doesn't include updates to new versions when they become available like Office 365 does....So it sounds like you will be freezing what you have now, and to upgrade to newer versions when they come out you will have to purchase the product again...Office 365 also includes 1 tb of cloud storage which allows you to access these files with any device...

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-s-the-difference-between-Office-365-and-Office-2016-ed447ebf-6060-46f9-9e90-a239bd27eb96

05/05/2016 11:53 PM

Are you using Mac or windows machine?

Engineering Fields - Biomedical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member

In reply to #4

05/06/2016 8:45 PM

Windows 8 (which was a treat to get used to)

Found a shell program to make it work like Win7

Canada - Member - If there is a way to screw someting up, there is someone to do so! Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 137

05/06/2016 10:14 AM

My 3 month old Dell laptop... proceeded to install the MS Win10 update by itself. Yes... fully on its own, I sat down at it a week or two ago, and the machine was ready for a reboot to continue the install and there WAS NO WAY I FOUND to cancel the install or to undo what it had done.

The day it acts weird or I get a "send us money" notice... another laptop joins the Linux world.

I have lots of experience with many versions of RedHat/Fedora... but am 12 years away from supporting a Linux box. What are the popular distributions these days... and can anyone suggest a good choice?

In reply to #6

05/07/2016 6:58 PM

I haven't tried it but a friend of mine is sold on Linux Mint. Apparently it is an easy install and very up to date drivers.

My personal favorites are Debian, Slackware and Gentoo, although I haven't run Gentoo for a while.

There are some "live" versions out there that will let you boot from a stick or CD. Let's you try them out without writing to your hard drive.

I have a live version of Debian I use for repairing/diagnosing computers running different operating systems.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #12

05/09/2016 10:38 AM

While Linux Mint might be to big a step at this time (although I do recommend trying it out), You can get LibreOffice for Windows, which will be able to read and write almost all MS Office files, you might not get all the 'new' features' to 'pop in' automatically, like the 'virtual sticky notes,' and some things might need a little post-transfer editing (LibreCalc uses semicolons instead of comas in its functions, to allow for easy compatibility with international standards, where some countries swap the meaning of comma and decimal point). But the software is easy enough to use. If you could learn MS Office, you can learn LibreOffice.

And you cannot beat the price: Free to download, free to install, free to use, later on you can donate what you feel it is worth to you, if you want.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 81
In reply to #6

05/07/2016 7:09 PM

There have been threads on CR4 about win8 updating to win 10. Do a search for that. Some have been able to reverse it, and some have not. You may want to try to restore your system. Others may be helpful for that. I have no experience there. My son has used Ubunto for years. I had a dual boot a couple years ago, but that version of Ubunto would not support my printer. They are always bringing out a new version. Now Win 8.1 will not support that printer.

Register to Reply
Power-User

05/06/2016 9:04 PM

While I understand the dismay/anger with MS....... I thought I could use this site for real and helpful information rather than the oblivious disdain for a successful organization!! For me it is a tool, not a political statement.

Like it or don't, the computer world would NOT be where it is today without Bill and his stuff. Am I completely and totally on board?? NO, I never drank the Kool-Aid, why else I would I be asking questions on CR4???

I came here - rather than ask questions of the MS support team - because I have a great trust for all of you and the immense brain trust (over them).

Leave the bashing at home. (please!)

In reply to #8

05/07/2016 6:50 PM

While I am on board with you for a couple of points, I don't understand the dismay and anger with MS. If something is bugging me enough, I fix it or if I can't, I learn to live with it. I used MS operating systems from 3.11 through to Win98 before I began using LInux. For a short period of time I was dual booting with XP but ended up running both it and Win98 out of Virtualbox for the occasional time when I have to fire up someone's proprietary PLC software.

Like you, for me the computer is simply a tool, and as such I want it to work for me with as few problems as possible. I don't hate MS or Mac I simply prefer Linux. I do disagree with your statement that without MS we would not be as advanced as we are. I believe if not for the greed and mistakes made by Unix and IBM we would be much further down the road than the path we have taken.

I believe your original question was whether installing Office 2016 will conflict with files created in 365?

My advice would be:

1. Back up your files to a different device. Check the integrity of the files after backing them up.

2. If you do not have a second computer running Office 365 or do not know anyone else running it, install Openoffice or Libreoffice and check if you can open the files using them.

3. Install Office 2016. Copy the files back to your computer. Do not work on the backed up files directly as you run the risk of corrupting them.

4. If you do have problems, install Openoffice or Libreoffice again and open the files. Save them as a different version of MS Office. Usually and older version.

5. Repeat step 4 until you are successful in opening the files using Office 2016.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 6

05/07/2016 12:49 AM

Hello Sid.

Actually members are answering your question in general terms.

Understand that there are multiple versions of 365 and Office 2016. They act differently.

My understanding is Office 365 runs on a virtual computer and must be connected to the internet to download the apps you require.Some versions of Office also work this way.

Microsoft exists in a constant state of change. There were full versions of Office that could be bought in a box and would install on your computer alongside of 365 but may no longer be available as Microsoft is moving much more to again downloading what you need to work with.

There were versions of Office you could run alongside of 365 ( but usually caused error messages due to default conflicts)

Two versions of Outlook to my knowledge has never worked.

There were versions of Office that would inform you of which apps would be removed since they conflicted with the newer version .

There were versions of Office that removed all traces of 365, some would not.

To be sure, back up everything and export your contacts, no matter what.

The only real answers is to pick a very specific Office program and inquire from MS exactly what that version is going to do on your computer. Even then because they are in a constant state of change, i suggest a backup image of your hard drive.

For your outlook problem, try running an elevated command sfc /scannow. it usually fixes Office programs.

Hope this helps.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 2

05/07/2016 2:22 AM

I have run two different older versions of office next to the Office 365 for a couple of years now. The office programs, when not open, just sit there are recallable when needed. They work fine even with the Office 365 running. I run a Mac Pro with a Virtual Windows off of Fusion for my work programs. I never go on the net with the Microsoft machine except for updates from my own programs. Both environments run the Office 365 and have old full featured Microsoft Office programs that I own next to them. I never use Microsoft mail programs as they are too balky and complicated. I do all of my net browsing and mail and updating from the Mac, which so far has shown no problems with either compatibility or function. My work includes constant heavyweight processing, as I translate technical documents and use CAT tools from different software companies. As long as I keep my domains separate, it seems, up to now that everything stays smooth. I believe you need to outfit your IT as you require for the work you do. My Mac runs wonderfully and fast, but it is not good for gaming. The virtual PC is much faster than on resident machines I've seen of similar category. So Yes, in my opinion, you can run these two Microsoft Office programs together if you like.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 81

05/07/2016 7:00 PM

Sid,

There are other word processors made or Linux that have widows versions such as LibreOffice (that are free!). They are also compatible with MS Office. I would never consider buying a MS word program again. Forget Outlook. I use Gmail for e-mail. It works for me. If you don't want MS to be bashed, then don't post anything about it here.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #13

05/14/2016 9:59 AM

It's not that I don't want them to be bashed, I just don't need it when I have a question

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (1); buzz (2); DocCKR (1); grandpaw (1); lyn (2); North of 60 (1); Sid_Sidow (3); SolarEagle (3); StandardsGuy (2)

Previous in Forum: 3D Cutting Motorised Automation Stages   Next in Forum: Damage Simulation with Dynamic-Temp-Disp in Abaqus ?

Advertisement