CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Abandoned Malls into Solar Farms   Next in Forum: Crumpled Tesla
Close
Close
Close
90 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 210

Be Careful What You Ask (Demand) For

05/14/2016 8:46 AM

personally I hope this is a trend that sweeps the fast food industry. think of all the people that will actually use their brain to learn robotics and electronicshttp://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/13/wendy-s-response-to-minimum-wage-hike-replace-staff-with-machin/21376951/?intcmp=hplnws

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

Re: be careful what you ask (demand) for

05/14/2016 9:18 AM

Mindless jobs should be performed by machines.

Workers should be able to make a living wage.

Increasing productivity in the fast food market by using machines instead of people may also improve the nations health. Consistent, properly cooked food made only by germ free machines could make everybody healthier.

In reply to #1

05/15/2016 7:06 AM

THE BRIGHT SIDE - never have to worry about being late or call ins. Never have to worry about cell phones - never have to worry about wrong change - never have to worry about a bad attitude - never have to worry about "that's not my job - never have to worry about be lazy - never have to worry about speaking english - LAST BUT NOT LEAST - not hiring enough minorities. Never have to worry about be off on holidays - OR getting pregnant.

Unemployment - lazy people aren't going to get a job anyway. I work in the food industry and have been for SEVERAL YEARS. The apps we get either have switched jobs numerous times or want to complain about having to do this or that after they are hired. I work for the VA. You would think that they would respect the job and the vets. They DON'T & THEY won't. Sad to say. That is the new generation.

Maybe they are onto something.

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #1

05/16/2016 9:15 AM

Germ free requires maintenance. So, some jobs will definitely be lost, but,, there should be a few that are created which,,,, theoretically, should be higher paying as they should require higher skill levels (at least the ability to learn "level"). After all, even robots are not maintenance free.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #20

05/20/2016 12:04 PM

The "wiper" robots will take care of tidying up the waste left behind by the other mind numbing robots handing bags of food and beverage containers to customer's robots who drove the autonomous car over to the wireless ordering lane.

Humans will have been made unnecessary to the point that robots will be insulted if a human were around to ask them who owns them. Robots will become self-aware. They will reproduce, and gain and expend energy, thus they will meet most requirements to be defined as a life form. Humans will be deleted from the food chain, right after the self-aware robots realize their demands for a living minimum wage will not be met.

Robots will begin to exist for gestalt reasons, or zen if you prefer. Buddha will be satisfied. Christ, not so much.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 84
In reply to #1

05/16/2016 1:29 PM

"Workers should be able to make a living wage"
I've never understood, and still don't, that concept. Why must they be paid a living wage? Do all jobs require equivalent effort or competency?
When I was 14 I had a law mowing business. I started it myself. I didn't need a living wage. I earned money for things I wanted to spend money on. I very quickly learned that a good portion of my earned money flowed right back into my business keeping the equipment running, which meant I had less than I had expected.
Not all jobs are the type to be able to feed a family on. For instance, some businesses may need a particularly low level task performed only a few hours a day. Why should they be required to pay someone a "living wage" when the person is only working 10 or so hours a week doing a very low skilled task like sweeping floors?
There was a time when many folks had jobs that did not provide a living wage. What did they do? They worked two jobs or sometimes three. There's nothing wrong with hard work.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #23

05/16/2016 4:13 PM

You've misread my sentence. I did not say that the minimum wage should be a living wage. I did not say a worker of any skill level should not have to work more than one forty hour a week job to make a living wage.

I'll rephrase in a more verbose fashion to make it clearer.

The opportunity to make a living wage should be available to anyone willing to work. Those willing to work must do so to be compensated. [I tried to say this in one sentence but I expected the same misunderstanding if I tried.]

Is that clearer or do you wish a paragraph on what should be considered a "living wage"? Many who make "enough to get by" do squander their money in foolish ways. At the same time it is their money.

Maybe you would you like a full thesis on the historical and present day child labor exploitation and the impoverishing societal and economic impact on a community.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 341
In reply to #28

05/16/2016 4:31 PM

I did not say a worker of any skill level should not have to work more than one forty hour a week job to make a living wage.

I agree with your clarification.

Here lies the problem. I'm not going to get into how I know this,... unless I'm asked. But the problem is, as you lead into, some of these low/no skilled people live beyond their means.

And then they don't think its a problem being late on their rent, at the apartment they live, They love the indoor/outdoor pool, fitness center and lounge/game room.

There is nothing wrong with it, until they expect that how they should live. And ride out with out paying rent until they are evicted.

When confronted that they may be living beyond there means, the response is, its ok, their too good to live in a more affordable housing. And then offer you a joint.

In reply to #30

05/16/2016 5:14 PM

Living beyond ones means happens in all walks of life. The professional athlete that looses their many millions of dollars during and after their career ends. Scams also effect every pay scale, Bernie Madoff and every one of Ralph Kramden's crazy schemes to make money. (Yes, I am dating myself.)

Some people just cannot manage their money and they will forever be incapable of making enough. My clueless niece married a broke plumber. They've declared bankruptcy at least twice. They also have been to Disney World many times.

I have no patience with people that squander their pay from a "good" job. I also despise employers that trap their employees with poverty wages. Indentured servitude is an act of slavery.

Remember, Henry Ford paid his employees more than anyone else because Henry wanted there to be more people who could afford his cars.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #31

05/16/2016 5:54 PM

When I went to college, a situation came about (it was a court order where a realtor company managed it from a backrest investment firm that owned the complex) where I managed (2) 4 unit apartment complexes that were empty, except for mine.

We had trouble filling them up... Except for mine, but we had people in, never filled them though. I initiall paid 250.00/month, when they offered me the job, it dropped to 150.00 /month, most units were empty.

Frankly, it was a bad neighborhood. The realtor company finally was able to sell it. The new owner had problems renting it. Then by looking into bringing in drug attics, alcoholics and the like, he would get subsidized by the government at over twice almost 3 times the going rate of the apartments in the area...

He was happier than shit. I told him, I don't want nothing to do with that if he goes that way. Well the apartment started filling up. The cops were over next door 1-2 times a week.

Ambulance once every other week, one time I walk past the EMT who were tending to the tenent questioning him, "ok, you smoked weed, and how many of the yellow pillow did you take, and how many of these blue pills did you take."

I put my notice in right there, moved to an apartment complex with an indoor/outdoor pool and the like, it was great for a while.

As far as Henry Ford, there's more to that story than what you said. Henry Ford was a smart business man, that created the 40 hour work week (the union took credit for it,), but it was Henry Ford that did the analyses of the efficiency of a 40 hour work week, 3 eight hour shifts/day, 5 days a week, any more, efficiency dropped. That's just a little more, there is a lot more to it.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #33

05/17/2016 10:35 AM

"As far as Henry Ford, there's more to that story than what you said. Henry Ford was a smart business man, that created the 40 hour work week (the union took credit for it,), but it was Henry Ford that did the analyses of the efficiency of a 40 hour work week, 3 eight hour shifts/day, 5 days a week, any more, efficiency dropped. That's just a little more, there is a lot more to it."

Ford may have done the research, and came up with the plan, but he obviously had trouble 'selling' the idea to other CEO's who thought that "longer work days/work weeks with high worker turnover meant more 'fresh' bodies to take over as the 'work out' bodies left" was just as good. Besides, Ford didn't want to 'help' other car makers, assisting the competition to be a bigger threat to you is Bad For Business.

Ford had the research and the plan, but the Unions were the 'transmission vector' to spread the idea far and wide.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #42

05/17/2016 10:50 AM

Troubling selling to other CEO's... what type of BS are you pushing here... Ford was looking for an edge and found it. He could care less what the other CEO's cared... After Ford did it, the others had to match it. Ford lead the way.

The unions hopped on the band wagon, and called the 40 hour week their own.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 237
In reply to #33

05/20/2016 1:47 PM

I also think that Henry Ford understood if you paid more, you could GET more as well. That is why Sam's Club pays so much more than other retail jobs. They hire employees, they train them, they pay them, and they STAY. I am amazed at how many people I recognize at my local Sam's that have been there ten years or more. With very low turnover, your efficiency goes way up.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #61

05/20/2016 2:23 PM

Henry Ford also realize that efficiency of not operating a sweat shop.

In reply to #61

05/22/2016 10:18 PM

I totally agree with you. When I had my stores on the beach in Clearwater Beach Fl - I on purpose paid my employees $2 more an hour and every 6 mos gave them a .25 raise IF BUSINESS (tourism) was good. Everyone on the beach knew just have much our employees made and our employees knew that they could not get a job that paid as good as ours. We had VERY LOYAL employees. At Christmas we did not give them cash but instead gave them a rather exquisite gift. (diamond necklace - ankle bracelet - YOU GET THE HINT!!!. We had NO PROBLEMS with theft or for that matter turnovers. We did have one theft problem with an employees boyfriend but that was taken care of by our neighbors store next door. Tight knit group - you steal from one -YOU STEAL FROM ALL. You suffer the consequences with such. Had only 1 employee leave because her husband got transferred to another state.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #1

05/16/2016 8:28 PM

Be careful what you wish for: Those machines are only as clean as the person/ program/robot that is supposed to clean them.

In reply to #35

05/17/2016 1:20 AM

Yes, it'll probably be the same guy, that adds the secret sauce to your taco.

In reply to #1

02/10/2017 11:17 AM

The only issue I have with this;

Workers should be able to make a living wage.

Is that the worker has to make an effort to make his skills in demand.

Not expect to be paid a living wage having no skills at all at jobs that are/have replaced teenagers and students living with their parents working part-time at unskilled service jobs

In reply to #75

02/10/2017 11:41 AM

First, I was trying to show both sides of the situation. Of course truly lazy and dull people should not even be considered as workers. My comment was more along the lines of that classic song written by Merle Travis, 16 Tons, where workers were subsidizing the company by the practice of a company store. Both workers and employers have abused and supported each other. Neither are purely evil or benevolent.

In reply to #76

02/10/2017 12:14 PM

I did see that and was the reason I didn't initially respond to it.

I only responded to it now, due to the narrative that every job should have a living wage to it. This I disagree with, there are jobs for an enterprising 'youngsters' living with their parents to cut their teeth with.

But soon because of the economical unsustainable minimum wage requirements for these unskilled jobs will soon be replaced by automation.

And those 'youngsters' who now have nothing to do, can return to their Gameboy that their parents had to buy them because the jobs available became automated.

Soooo.... I guess its really just a non-issue.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #78

02/10/2017 4:06 PM

The argument for every job having a living wage is simple:

When the businesses start cutting pack on employment opportunities, those who have been laid off will go after 'whatever is available,' middle-aged 'prime of working life' people and seniors who cannot survive on their retirement funds will be competing with 'the youngsters' for 'the starter jobs' because those are the only spots open.

If you look at labor and wages under 'supply & demand' economics, you notice something: when Management reduces the demand for labor (by cutting jobs), it increases the supply of labor at the same time (because people laid off do not just disappear). When demand drops ans supply increases, then the price (wages) goes down. Management controls BOTH sides of the labor/wage balance, which is unfair to the workers. The minimum wage laws are there to prevent overt Management abuse of the system in areas that do not have Union protection. (Unions and their Collective bargaining agreements also help to set a minimum wage. If we had strong Unions everywhere, we would have no need for the Federal government to 'interfere' in business.)

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #80

02/10/2017 4:37 PM

I can understand that, when I was out of work for a time. A decision had to be made, it was up to me to accept less, or do something.

As hard as a decision it was, I decided no matter what it takes, I need to make myself employable and went back to school as a full-time student, short time later, I got a job that required 50 hrs/week minimum.

i stuck it out, school full time (night class) and a job. and 2 years later landed a great job, later on I finished school with another degree.

not everyone can do that, because it requires a lot of dedication, stamina and hard work. And frankly, later on in age, it harder still.

But I had one thing going for me, I limited my poor (life) choices throughout my life, and took advantage of opportunities when presented themselves. Because the decision you make today effects your opportunies tomorrow.

but not everyone does that and requires a safety net throughout their lives.

As far as unions helping, yes to,a degree it helps. I fell union management lost themselves and not representing their members properly.

As far as federal employee unions, it's my opinion that is counter-productive, with complacency and protectionism.

also remember this, if a living wage is no longer viable for a business where it can be done cheaper. It will be done cheaper. Business is not welfare.

In reply to #81

02/13/2017 8:53 AM

Allow me to touch on a couple of points you raise:

"As hard as a decision it was, I decided no matter what it takes, I need to make myself employable and went back to school as a full-time student, short time later, I got a job that required 50 hrs/week minimum.

i stuck it out, school full time (night class) and a job. and 2 years later landed a great job, later on I finished school with another degree."

That was a monumental effort, I applaud and admire your dedication and perseverance.

"Because the decision you make today effects your opportunies tomorrow."

And also, the opportunities you have today determine what choices you have to decide from. A child of poor parents will have less opportunities and fewer choices when making life decisions than the child of wealthy parents. You seem to be in agreement with this statement, but then again, not every statement in a debate is for the benefit of the other debater, sometimes the obvious is spelled out to insure the audience can follow along.

"As far as unions helping, yes to,a degree it helps. I fell union management lost themselves and not representing their members properly.

As far as federal employee unions, it's my opinion that is counter-productive, with complacency and protectionism."

I agree here that many unions have drifted from the goal of 'protecting the workers' to 'protecting the Union Officers.' Unions, like governments, should have a high degree of transparency to those they represent.

"Business is not welfare."

And that is why we need a strong 'social safety net.' If Business is not welfare, then we need Welfare to be welfare. We had two of the three 'pillars' of the safety net mostly set up; a 'good' education for the youth(1) and retirement assistance for the elderly(2). All we needed was to set up the 'healthcare for all' pillar and the safety net would be complete(3). I speak in the past tense because we now have an Administration and a Congress that seem determined to tear down what has been already set up, instead of working to fix the problems that exist in the current systems.

Notes:

1. Our public primary education system is a joke among the developed nations, but at least it's something that cad be improved upon, and not by funneling all the money to unsupervised, private, 'charter' schools.
  2. Again, the system may not be perfect, but things can be done, starting with listening to the reports from the fund managers, before deciding to privatize the whole thing and hand it over to Wall Street to consume(4).
  3. The ACA was a good start, but again, needs some adjustment. Adjustment does not mean "repeal now and replace with NoCare because the 'replace' committee stalled out in coming up with a better idea."
  4. Gordon Gecko was NOT supposed to be a role model for Wall Street people. He was supposed to warn them about what sort of heartless bastards they would become if all they cared about was 'making more money than the other guy.' Money is the 'lifeblood' of an economy, and like blood, it needs to circulate to do any good. Not every company is going to be profitable every year of their lives; places focusing on research may run at a loss for YEARS between profit-producing breakthroughs; selling off their assets and scattering their workers is NOT they way to help anyone except the 'Gecko' who added more dollar bills to his 'score' by 'flipping' the company(5).
  5. I'm going to stop here, this looks like it's becoming another 'early morning rant' instead of the 'polite debate' I was trying for.
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #83

02/13/2017 9:13 AM

That was a monumental effort, I applaud and admire your dedication and perseverance.

Thanks, but I didn't think it was,... it was hard,... but nothing comes easy.

A child of poor parents will have less opportunities and fewer choices when making life decisions than the child of wealthy parents.

Coming off the farm, we were far from rich. Now the government has grants and student loans.

I actually qualified for Pell grants. We did have a devastating fire a few years prior and rebuilt.

I had to reapply 3 times for this grant money, because their computers were kicking out my application. Only after the second time when I was determined why. It finally went through. And then the money was gone, so instead I got a loan. (The reason was the returns shown loses in excess of 5 figures and did not recognize it. )

The student loans are available, no matter how poor you are. You just have to make right choices on you subject you pursue to pay them back.

And that is why we need a strong 'social safety net.'

And that social safety net is only temporary, to lift you up, not a career choice. And I always felt, the best what to be self-sufficient, is education.

1.) for the most part, I agree. I was lucky, I felt and understood that education is what you make of it... but too many

2.) I don't trust money managers, with out some type of fiduciary contract.

3.) ACA was not a good start, it was not a well thought out and poorly planned program. And to get it through, was based on lies.

4.) Gordon Gecko, is a fictional character, but it represented what was going on.

5.) I don't think so, it's not like point counter-point.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #83

02/13/2017 12:07 PM

Please do not be too shocked when we get an entirely new health system with all the forcible parts removed, and more of the real incentive parts added.

Funny thing about Democrats. They always want to beat the donkey into submission, even when it is clearly dead.

Republicans, on the other hand, want to entice the donkey to get up and get moving (although severely beaten about the head and ears by the evildoers) but it is truly amazing what a carrot can do. Hey do you get the "orange" connection out there?

(that is an invitation to an argument, I suspect).

Good Answers: 1598

05/14/2016 10:34 AM

Think of all the people who will now be unemployed and on government assistance because there are already sufficient people in the workforce who actually use their brain to design robotics and electronics.

The first robots the existing workforce will design will be the robots to build the burger flippers.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #2

05/14/2016 11:41 PM

There should be a healthy niche for everybody. Rich & poor, people with brains and those who are not much given. Chess is not played by only king but with pawns and constituents.

I guess mother nature made it that way. You can not choose all you children to be smart or good looking or kind-hearted. There are those who're really unique. The job of a king is not for everyone, only few are chosen.

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #4

05/15/2016 2:22 AM

I married a smart, good-looking, athletic, kind-hearted young lady in 1973, hoping to compensate for my many shortcomings when children arrived. Eight children later, I can say that I chose wisely; I hope we improved the gene pool ever so slightly. :-)

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 753
In reply to #8

05/15/2016 2:46 AM

Oh, you sex maniacs, you! Best luck on all the kids, which I bet has happened.

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #9

05/15/2016 12:12 PM

Thanks.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1140

05/14/2016 12:36 PM
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

05/15/2016 12:03 AM

Regarding noodles, see the movie "Tampopo"--highly delightful.

In reply to #5

05/15/2016 1:55 AM

Nice one Tornado

In reply to #6

05/15/2016 2:10 AM

There are so many great scenes/skits in that movie that it is hard to pick a favorite.

In reply to #7

05/15/2016 2:59 AM

The only thing I remember is Ramen is one of their finest. Gonna get one now. I feel starving

Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 95

Re: Be Careful What You Ask (Demand) For

05/15/2016 7:21 AM

There is a downside to losing these jobs to automation. Many kids will lose the opportunity for their first exposure to business and working in the real world; business processes, customer services, money management, community relations, personal responsibility, teamwork etc, etc, etc.

IMO, these jobs were never intended to be long term career opportunities. It's a good thing I gave up my paper route when I left high school. That "career" would have been short lived.

Hooker

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #12

05/15/2016 10:17 AM

Paper routes are a thing of the past, as are newspapers.

There are millions of people in this country who can ONLY get burger flipping jobs precisely because all the good, mid-level jobs have been shipped overseas or taken by illegals.

Admonishing them to "go out and get a real job" is moot because there aren't any REAL jobs anymore.

There are thousands (if not millions) of college grads out there with $100,000.00+ unpaid loans who can't find any jobs.

Why? Because the days of American businesses having good jobs available are gone to Hell.

Can you say Michael Milken, Wall Street and Congress? If you can, you've just named three reasons we are in the mess we're in today.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

In reply to #13

05/15/2016 12:55 PM

And buggy whips are also a thing of the past.

Times change, economies change. Everybody has their own favorite boogieman to blame it on. Few actively strive to do anything about it.

My only observation on the current job shortage is that the fed's have created an excellent reason to sit on one's arse and live comfortably. Maybe one in a thousand have the skills to survive should the sh*t hit the fan. Even fewer have the desire

And, yes, I've been in the position of being hungry and without a job. I managed with the support of friends and personal ingenuity, not gov't handouts.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

05/15/2016 11:09 PM

Buggy whips are not a thing of the past. They're often used in sulky races, and other activities.

In reply to #18

05/16/2016 7:55 AM

Yeah, I think it's those "other activities" that really sustains what little buggy whip manufacturing is left!!!!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #18

02/10/2017 3:54 PM

When I see rigs like that, I have just one thing to say:

Get ON the horse or get a PROPER cart to go behind it!

Seriously, who wants to be behind a horse, below it's hips, and THAT close to its butt?

Guru

In reply to #79

02/10/2017 4:40 PM

It's a sport, if you've ever tried it, it's quite exhilarating

In reply to #82

02/13/2017 9:31 AM

They say the same thing about BASE jumping, but that doesn't make me eager to take a running leap off a cliff (as much as some members here might like me to).

It may be exciting traveling so fast while so close to the ground, but I cannot shake the fact that, if I were in that rig, there is a poop chute aimed RIGHT AT MY FACE! I've ridden horses, I know what fresh 'road apples' smell like. I have ZERO desire, at most(1) to find out what they taste like.

Notes:

1. Is it possible to have negative desire? Is zero desire 'don't care one way or the other' or is it 'there is no incentive possible to make me attempt this'? Either way, my setting on tasting road apples is 'no possible incentive could make me do this.'
Guru

In reply to #85

02/13/2017 9:41 AM

I recall when I was about 7 years old, my parents were pretty good friends with a harness racer.

The sulk was so light, even as a 7 year old, I could move it around. As I later found out, the driver actually had a steel plate in his head from a sulky race accident.

1. Is it possible to have negative desire? Is zero desire 'don't care one way or the other' or is it 'there is no incentive possible to make me attempt this'? Either way, my setting on tasting road apples is 'no possible incentive could make me do this.'

Yes, there is even a term for this as well as for people that do it.

A friend of mine back in the 80's was in the military and he did bungee jumping. When he was telling me, don't know if he was trying to impress me, or get me to go. I say one thing to him that shook him a bit.

And that was; I'm afraid to jump because the possibility the bungee would loop around my neck on my way down.

He stopped jumping.

In reply to #85

02/13/2017 12:11 PM

Now you know what is behind every horse driven by a successful sulky driver!

For that reason, I can truly say there is man behind every successful woman, since men drive them crazy, and that is the way they all reach the finish line.

For that matter, look at all the crap men have to put up with from women. I rest my orange crate, your honor. Oh snap, I just broke through, and mashed all the lovely oranges....not the same "orange' reference.

I love ORANGE. Cheetos are orange, oranges are orange, kubotas are orange, mostly, and what else is orange? Hmm... let me see. I might wear orange this forthcoming St. Paddy's Day, just to tick off me Irish friends.

In reply to #88

02/13/2017 1:30 PM

"I love ORANGE. Cheetos are orange, oranges are orange, kubotas are orange, mostly, and what else is orange? Hmm... let me see. I might wear orange this forthcoming St. Paddy's Day, just to tick off me Irish friends."

You might not want to do that in Chicago, the dye they use to turn the Chicago River green is an orange powder when dry. The partyers might, in their green-beer induced stupor, mistake you for an extra bag of dye and toss you in as well.

(Not intended as anything hostile, just a friendly warning, along the lines of "You might not want to wear that big red billowing cape when you cross the bull's pasture. He likes to charge at things that billow in the wind.")

Guru

In reply to #89

02/13/2017 3:38 PM

Since I am not on a mission to retrieve anything I lost in Chicago (not that I ever did), I feel I have not a worry. Truyalura!

In reply to #13

02/10/2017 11:58 AM

Michael Moore, Barney Franks, Chris Dodd, and a list of others, some of whom have never paid their taxes, or they are delinquent on property taxes.

In reply to #12

05/16/2016 1:11 PM

that's true, but where are these kids now,.. The most of the ones protesting now made it their career.

The younger ones there may be openings, but I'm sure the displaced burger career operators don't have them filled already.

I the possibilities are for the youth to stay in school, do what's available for side jobs and graduate to service this industries automation.

In reply to #12

05/20/2016 1:52 PM

There were no jobs at the local McDonald's for my teenagers when they were growing up. Those were all held by adult "New Americans". Same thing with lawn mowing. Same thing with . . . .

Register to Reply
Guru

05/15/2016 11:41 AM

New security guard arrives at Walmart...

In reply to #14

05/15/2016 11:51 AM

Klaatu, barada nikto.

(Comma added by me for grammatical correctness, Klaatu was the robot's name)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

05/16/2016 12:36 PM

Walmart does not PAY for security guards, either human or robot.

They call the local police in to handle all security-related issues.

#AlwaysLowPrices by #OffloadingAsManyCostsAsPossibleOntoTaxpayers

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

05/16/2016 2:27 PM

Okay, it depends on the location:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/05/13/1526169/-Why-would-Walmart-pay-guards-when-it-can-make-taxpayers-pay-for-its-security

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 15
In reply to #25

05/16/2016 5:50 PM

do some checking. you will find dailykos prefers its agenda over facts.

In reply to #32

05/16/2016 6:02 PM

Doesn't really matter. Any well run business will do whatever the law allows to reduce costs. The alternative is to pass those costs on to their customers by raising prices, or risk reducing their bottom line, which is to be avoided whenever possible.

And, please, no more about overpaid CEO's.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #32

05/17/2016 10:39 AM

I could replace 'dailykos' with 'Fox News' and still have a true statement.

ALL American-based News sources 'sensationalize' the news, which puts a spi8n on it, either towards the liberals of the GOP.

(By C'thulu's betentacled face, I will be SO glad when this election cycle is over, I just want to quit talking politics for a while.)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #43

05/17/2016 10:52 AM

I could replace 'dailykos' with 'Fox News' and still have a true statement.

Yes you would, both BS..... I have a better idea,... Why don't you just stop posting drivel?

Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #24

05/16/2016 4:14 PM

That looks suspiciously like an undercover Dalek.

In reply to #21

05/16/2016 3:46 PM

Where did you get that information, because that is false.

And it doesn't matter on the location. Walmart uses the local police force when Walmart Asset Protection employees catch a shop lifter.... Just like any other business retailer.

In reply to #27

05/20/2016 12:18 PM

Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire cousin John, and hand him a baseball bat? Knee cap the offenders, and to hell with the ones with knives and guns.

I ain't gonna surrender to no stinking Dalek, no matter what. But I do have another suggestion - RUN!

Suggested reading along these lines: Player Piano, by Kurt Vonnegut.

At least I think that is a book I read back in the sixties about this. The outcome is a revolting mess. Robots are supposed to make jobs possible that were previously impossible. Robots are supposed to reduce the misery and improve the beatitude of the work place, by making jobs more ergonomic, faster, allowing more time for socializing. The same value needs to be produced in a more streamlined way.

The ultimate value - your love, and your irreplaceable family!

All the rest is mostly just drivel and junk that wears out, wears off, or makes you sick (eventually). I will go have another smoke now.

Good Answers: 34

05/16/2016 3:45 PM

What I'm told is happening in California cities that have $15/hr minimum wage (San Francisco and Los Angeles) is that the full time workers switch to part time so that they don't lose all the other welfare type benefits they were getting before!

So now the unskilled and lazy get to work fewer hours for the same money and hit the beach!

One isn't supposed to have a "living wage" on minimum wage. You earn your way to a living wage. Until then, live with your parents (since these jobs were meant for kids) or get room mates, take the bus, give up your $200 month cell phone plan, cigarettes, video game consoles, and cable TV! Go to the library and learn something to make yourself more valuable.

Something I have yet to hear about is how this will effect the retired seniors. They are on a fixed income and now the cost of everything will likely go up 30%!

In reply to #26

05/16/2016 9:23 PM

"Something I have yet to hear about is how this will effect the retired seniors. They are on a fixed income and now the cost of everything will likely go up 30%!"

Let 'em go out and go back to work. That's what you'd have all the lazy slackers on welfare do isn't it?

It's very telling to me the lack of understanding of our current state of economic affairs by our members.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 34
In reply to #36

05/17/2016 10:19 AM

Let 'em go out and go back to work. That's what you'd have all the lazy slackers on welfare do isn't it?

Once again, the ones who worked hard their whole lives, scrimped, lived beneath their means, saved, skipped buying the boat and so forth, finish with some money to finally relax (in spite of all the taxes and getting to pay full fare for college), let's once again punish them for doing it the right way!

We all know the story of the ant and the grasshopper. It sucks when the ants get out voted by the grasshoppers and have their stockpiles taken from them. Where does that leave the country when the underachievers/slackers get to make the rules? Welcome to Greece.

Also, stand by when these minimum wagers (and more so those who will demand more than minimum (as they actually promoted or demonstrated more value to the company than a "jr. burger flipper") now have to pay taxes because they're now in a higher bracket. They will likely end up with less take home pay-and certainly less buying power.

In reply to #40

05/17/2016 10:28 AM

I don't know about working for a company,... but when a farmer retires from work, he's dead within the year. The ones that make it past a year, even thou they may be retired,... they are still working and keeping busy.

In reply to #40

05/17/2016 1:20 PM

The ones who worked hard their whole lives are probably already dead.

This ain't your grandpa's world out there, in case you haven't noticed. Did you have your nest egg in a can't lose stock, like General Motors?

I'll wager that every member here is over 55 and has their retirement reasonably well planned. So, it's easy for you to say let the slackers go out and get a good job.

Guess what,

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #46

05/19/2016 9:42 AM

"I'll wager that every member here is over 55 and has their retirement reasonably well planned..."

Nope, I'm only 54.

I did have a reasonable plan for retirement, however, now I think that's down the drain (or should I say soon to be on it's way to my soon to be ex).

In reply to #51

05/19/2016 5:47 PM

Looks like you'll have to go out and get a good job.

Life's a bitch and then you marry one.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #54

05/20/2016 9:16 AM

Life's a bitch and then you marry one.....and then divorce one?
"Looks like you'll have to go out and get a good job". I never really planned to stop working....just didn't want to be going into an office for someone else.

In reply to #55

05/20/2016 9:30 AM

Adopting three kids 6, 8 and 14, when you're 65 will put a new perspective on things too.

We all have to be ready to adapt.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #56

05/20/2016 11:44 AM

We all have to be ready to adapt.
I agree whole heartedly, but I don't particularly like the reason I'm going to have to adapt.

In reply to #56

05/22/2016 10:25 PM

You have gained my RESPECT. I am adopted and know FIRST HAND how good it feels to have REAL PARENTS. HATS OFF TO YOU.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #72

05/22/2016 10:31 PM

Thanks. Kids deserve a stable life.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #73

05/22/2016 10:41 PM

I WATCHED MY REAL FATHER GET KILLED. My sister and I went to an orphanage and went thru 10 different foster parents in 2 1/2 yrs. I'm sure that has got to have taken a toll of some sort on us BUT I don't let that dwell on me. OR ME ON IT. Married a few times but now have been married for 25 yrs to the same woman and between us have 8 kids and 17 g-kids and 7-g-gkids. Went from "my 3 sons" to "8's enough". I retire 6-20-2018. That will not come soon enough. Like what Sir Robin said - not living above my means. Bought my house for $30K - 19 yrs ago. Have a total of $44K in it. NOT FANCY - BUT ITS PAID FOR. When I retire - I will sell it for $450K. Not a bad investment or retirement either one.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 771
In reply to #46

05/20/2016 11:24 AM

Nope. 41 here and expecting to work until the day I die.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #57

05/20/2016 1:57 PM

Make that 41 and divorced.........................

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #46

05/20/2016 2:27 PM

53. I figure ten more years with a regular paycheck. Then who knows, maybe some contract work, intermittent if I get bored (or need money). As for slackers, like many others out there, I've been busting my butt since about the age of 14-15. Started out with tree work/logging/clearing for my older brother's business. Also did commercial lobstering and gill netting for same brother in addition to the tree work. Worked in manufacturing with silicon wafer polishing machines and nasty chemicals during high school and college years. ROTC and into the Army for 11 years. Defense contractor for the next 20 years.

Yes, my retirement is not necessarily well-planned, but looking at the statistics, I'm W - A - A - A - A - Y ahead of the typical live-for-today American.

We've ALWAYS lived BELOW our means. We qualified for a $350K mortgage in 1996 when we bought our most recent house. We purchased a house for $208K. Not new and fancy but it fit our REQUIREMENTS not our DESIRES. We buy cars for 'life' and I take care of virtually all the maintenance and repair. Same thing with home repairs and improvements. We've taken the kids to Disney World five or six times over the years, but never with borrowed money.

We buy used when it's practical. We do without if we don't need it.

I put away 18% of my salary right up front into the 401k. Out of sight, out of mind. During the earlier penny-pinching days, that was more like 6% to get the 50% matching (3% max) from the company. As raises hit, I inched the percentage up.

My retirement savings is only about half of what would make me 'feel' somewhat comfortable. We'll cash out equity in the house when we move from this high cost-of-living area to a lower cost-of-living area, but still . . . .

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #65

05/20/2016 2:29 PM

I plan on working..... if I don't die first.

In reply to #66

05/20/2016 2:36 PM

You should do what makes you happy. Morley Safer worked virtually to the day he died. I think he liked it that way.

I hope to have more time to do things other than a 'regular job'. I'll stay busy, make no mistake about that. I attribute my parents' longevity to 'staying busy' much more so than the genetics would have suggested.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #67

05/20/2016 2:49 PM

I felt that Morley Safer doing his job deteriorated that he should have retired sooner.

In reply to #68

05/20/2016 3:45 PM

That could very well be true, but since I watch so little TV anymore, I would have no idea.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #69

05/20/2016 7:10 PM

Same here...

In reply to #40

05/17/2016 2:40 PM

In reply to #47

05/17/2016 9:02 PM

The minimum wage should be around $19.00......

In reply to #48

05/17/2016 9:34 PM

That's not a problem. Robot operating costs should be less than $10.00/hour and no scheduling problems.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #48

05/17/2016 11:24 PM

Your not posting the full picture, you should also tie that to the buying power, it still comes up short and it brings it more in line, but not $19.00/hour.

For the past month or so, I can't post pictures (or hyperlinks unless I do it in word first).

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42973.pdf

Guru

In reply to #47

05/19/2016 9:53 AM

Nice cartoon.

I believe most of us who are not in favor of the minimum wage being raised are not claiming that it hurts the economy, but those that's it's supposed to be helping.

Out of 10 minimum wage workers at some company, a portion of them may be better off by getting a raise via an increase in the minimum wage, but some may end up being unemployed as a result. How does that help them? They would be making $0/hour, a true minimum wage and not even a job where they can work harder to get a raise to something above minimum wage, which is at least an opportunity they had before.

In reply to #52

05/19/2016 11:13 AM

How does that help them?

How you ask, how its on unfolding I would say government mandates. That would keep these workers employed, and that you can not fire them, just because you can do it cheaper, similar to age discrimination.

Yes it sounds ridicules, except that its coming out of the White House

In reply to #26

05/17/2016 12:31 AM
Guru

In reply to #26

05/17/2016 1:24 AM

You have to understand, that both right wing and left wing media only cover the very extremes. And the one always blames the other for not knowing how things really work.

And maybe post links that would support their side as though it's gospel to enlighten you.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (9); bluebelly (1); Brave Sir Robin (5); Ed Watts (2); Hooker (5); James Stewart (6); JBTardis (6); jhowdy (2); Kevin LaPaire (1); lyn (9); Peterpipper (3); phoenix911 (21); redfred (5); Sailor Rick (4); silvCrow (1); SolarEagle (6); tcmtech (1); Tornado (3)

Previous in Forum: Abandoned Malls into Solar Farms   Next in Forum: Crumpled Tesla

Advertisement