CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Damage Simulation with Dynamic-Temp-Disp in Abaqus ?   Next in Forum: Seagate 500 GB Mini Hard Disk Password Remove
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12

Training AI with Romance Novels?

05/16/2016 8:57 AM

The mind boggles. I wonder why Google's engineers made this choice for training Google Brain? Nothing mentioned in the article, or maybe I missed it.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 158

Re: Training AI with Romance Novels?

05/16/2016 11:57 AM

Because if you want a rational, logical machine to speak Humanese, you have to feed it gobbledygook.

Good Answers: 22

05/16/2016 12:27 PM

Maybe GOOGLE is trying to make AI achieve the impossible task of understanding "women" by reading their novals?

Good Answers: 1129

05/16/2016 4:12 PM

Maybe they are planning on pairing this technology with the Articoolo software to corner the market on trash literature....

..."Trashy fiction, to my eye at least, illuminates the human condition and reveals fundamental truths at least as well as "serious literature" or non-fiction, and does it so much more enjoyably.

There is a fundamental snobbery in the "pure art", "serious literature" and "art for art's sake" that strikes me as not only arrogant, but just plain wrong-headed. Somehow we are made to feel that the "true artist" creates solely as an expression of his art and not for baser motives such as making a living, and that his art is a pure expression of his creativity. Someone who stoops to illustrate books or stories is a mere craftsman or prostitutes his art to crass commerciality. Yet many, if not most of the great artists were, have always been, commercial artists, from the great masters: da Vinci, Michaelangelo, and Rembrandt, to people such as Rockwell, Toulouse-Lautrec, Wyeth, or genre artists like Tenniel, St. John, Foster, Raymond, Hogarth, Petty, Frazetta and Olivia DeBerardinis. Artists like Charles Dana Gibson, though "mere" illustrators and not "serious artists", change the world around them as do writers like Wilde, Wells, and Asimov. They speak to our core beings and change how we see the world. When they are dead and safely gone we raise them up as "classics", yet we shun their modern colleagues. "...

http://www.123helpme.com/view.asp?id=13076

http://hilobrow.com/adventure/

Good Answers: 1588

05/16/2016 7:26 PM

I hope that the finished product contains just a little intelligence.

So far I see none, at all.

no.
he said.
"no," he said.
"no," i said.
"i know," she said.
"thank you," she said.
"come with me," she said.
"talk to me," she said.
"don't worry about it," she said.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1129
In reply to #4

05/17/2016 12:51 AM

Well, pretty impressive for a new-born...

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 350

05/16/2016 8:01 PM

Good Answers: 1588
In reply to #5

05/16/2016 9:03 PM

Microsoft????? What would anyone expect from them.

Half finished, half-a$$ed crap is what they put out. And we have to pay them to frustrate and cheat us.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 16
In reply to #6

05/17/2016 12:52 PM

For once I have to totally agree with you. God, that hurts!!!! I think this effort is using the old chestnut that there is a thin line between genius and madness and they have chosen to cross over the line.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #10

05/19/2016 3:02 PM

"I think this effort is using the old chestnut that there is a thin line between genius and madness and they have chosen to cross over the line."

I agree, and they didn't even try Refuge in Audacity, or try to make it funny by Crossing the Line Twice.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #5

05/17/2016 10:54 AM

And Google learned the lesson that M$ forgot about:

"Don't let your kids get on the internet without a chaperone!"

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member

Good Answers: 8

05/17/2016 12:28 PM

I read a Sci-Fi short story years ago, pre-internet, and it posited a future where computers throughout the universe were interconnected when a switch was throw. An eager populace asked the big question: is there a god? And the computers answered "now there is," and a bolt of lightning fused the switch closed forever. Anyone remember that story?

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (1); adreasler (2); Graycav (1); jack of all trades (1); Kilowatt0 (1); lyn (2); SolarEagle (2); SSCpal (1)

Previous in Forum: Damage Simulation with Dynamic-Temp-Disp in Abaqus ?   Next in Forum: Seagate 500 GB Mini Hard Disk Password Remove

Advertisement