CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Acoustic Noise Insulation- Piping Orifice Plate   Next in Forum: Step Input to AR Model
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Participant

Rotameter (Variable Area Flow Meter) Percent Indication Debate

05/17/2016 1:33 PM

I was recently determining the indication reference point for a flare purge line and am trying to settle a disagreement with a colleague.
We have a rotameter (Variable Area Flow Meter) that has a range of 0.5 m³/hr to 7 m³/hr. (This is the uncorrected pressure, temperature and SG values but they are sufficient for this conversation ie) Air @ ATP).
It corresponds with a indication scale of 10% to 100%. I'm trying to determine what % display to achieve 3.35 m³/hr setpoint.
Employee #1) x = (MV - (LRV)/Span)*100% as: x = ((3.35 - (0.5)/(7-0.5))*100% = 43.8% (45%scale)
Employee #2) x = (MV - (LRV)/Span)*100% as: x = ((3.35 - (0)/7))*100% = 47.8% (50%scale)
We can't resolve better than 2.5% indication. So values should be corrected as shown.
Which employee is correct, and why?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1028

Re: Rotameter (Variable Area Flow Meter) Percent Indication Debate

05/17/2016 2:08 PM

There's no way to tell for sure without understanding the dynamics of the airflow.....

Good Answers: 1028
In reply to #1

05/17/2016 8:34 PM

#2 would be correct in theory though...

Good Answers: 1533

05/17/2016 2:19 PM

#1. Their equation is longer, so they must be smarter.

If you need more accuracy, get a better gauge.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 740

05/17/2016 3:02 PM

Call the factory and have them sort out their contradictory data. There is no way anyone here can do it.

05/17/2016 5:24 PM

This problem has little to do with Air flow or vendor equipment, it has to do with calculating calibration span and zero offset. Employee #1 believes the span is from 0.5-7.0 (Delta6.5), employee #2 believes span should be 0-7.0 with no offset.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

05/17/2016 5:34 PM

Read the calibration instructions.

You MAY have to search out the web site for the latest information.

You found this site, you should be able to find theirs.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 689

05/18/2016 3:29 AM

The easiest way to settle this particular disagreement is to phone the equipment manufacturer over a speaker-phone with both parties present and discuss the matter directly. CR4 does not offer training in the use of the telephone.

<unsubscribes>

Good Answers: 111

05/18/2016 7:08 AM

Neither is correct IMO.

Presumably the meter has % indications, and you have to do a calculation or use a graph to find the flowrate.

Assuming flow and reading are linearly related, it should be

(3.35 - 0.5)/(7 - 0.5)*(100 - 10) + 10 = 49.46%

In general, for readings R % and flows Q,

(R - Rmin)/(Rmax - Rmin) = (Q - Qmax)/(Qmax - Qmin) so rearranging and putting your figures in

R = (90*Q + 20)/6.5 = 49.46%

I don't understand your 43.8% (45% scale) and 47.8% (50% scale). Presumably you just look at where the float is on the 0 - 100% scale, not worry about what that is as a fraction of the 90% range.

I believe Rotameters are linear with flow, but to confirm, just check that the readings are equally spaced.

In reply to #8

05/18/2016 12:57 PM

Thanks for the response Codemaster, all the others who didn't understand the concept of the debate preferred to preach hate and throw garbage posts like learn to use a phone. Real value added guys. If your solution to every problem is to ask someone else, then you are no different than myself for posting where "guru's" can chat... except in my experience, I know far more than any vendor selling equipment and figured I could talk to likewise people here.

Codemaster: The reference to scale reading is based on indication resolution. The indicator dashes are set equally every 5%, so we can only resolve half that increment for proper meter reading. I can't tell an operator to set the flow rate through a needle valve to 49.4%, but I can tell him to set it to 50%. Thanks again for your response.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

Good Answers: 111
In reply to #9

05/18/2016 1:44 PM

OK

I should have said (R - Rmin)/(Rmax - Rmin) = (Q - Qmaxmin )/(Qmax - Qmin) but you probably spotted that.

In reply to #9

05/18/2016 4:53 PM

I think you do not understand the concept of good manners.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 181

05/18/2016 3:12 PM

You should base on the function principle of a rotameter: the moving part has a constant weight so that the pressure difference is always the same in ALL positions. This means that the flow is proportional to the annular area between "floating" part and wall.

For the lowest flow the outer diameter is D(0), the flow area will be A(0)=π/4*(D(0)^2-d^2). If the new position is at "h" from the lower the area will be A(h)=π/4*((D(0)+k*h)^2-d^2). The flow for this position will be Q(h)=Q(0)*A(h)/A(0). If you scale for "h" is linear then the flow relation to the scale is not.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

05/18/2016 4:42 PM

Rotameters readings are linear to flow and normally has a range of 10 to 100%.

100% is equal to 7 m3/hr then the lower marking should be 0.7 M3/hr .Why is it 0.5 M3/hr

That is where I guess the confusion arises.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Apple II -

Good Answers: 47

07/27/2016 1:44 PM

Out of curiosity, why does this purge flow measurement application require such precision? Will a 2.5% error actually matter?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Codemaster (2); Kinalam (2); lyn (3); nick name (1); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (2); srini (1); tonykuphaldt (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Acoustic Noise Insulation- Piping Orifice Plate   Next in Forum: Step Input to AR Model

Advertisement