CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®
Login | Register for Engineering Community (CR4)

Previous in Forum: Rust Prevention Additives for Wet Blasting Steel   Next in Forum: Reversible Color Change
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Participant

Carbon Buildup in Toyota Hybrid EGR Exhaust Baffle

05/19/2016 7:37 AM

i have a clogged piece of baffling beyond the EGR valve in the exhaust system of my 2010 toyota prius.the clogged component is aluminum with no electronics.is there a solvent i could soak this part in that would clear it of the carbon buildup that had made it disfunctional.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 673

Re: carbon buildup in toyota hybrid EGR exhaust baffle

05/19/2016 7:46 AM

Carbon doesn't dissolve in common solvents.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 62

05/19/2016 7:59 AM

If you can find someone that has a "Soda Blaster", that will take it off and not harm the part.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 735
In reply to #2

05/19/2016 8:43 AM

Good Idea.

Our OP should not confuse a soda blaster with the Mentos and Diet Coke trick.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 735

Re: carbon buildup in Toyota hybrid EGR exhaust baffle

05/19/2016 8:07 AM

If I had to do this repair myself, I would try a carburetor cleaner and steel brush and hope the carbon adhered to a hydrocarbon film. Had this been on steel, one could burn the carbon off, unfortunately the burning carbon would melt the aluminum.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 597

05/19/2016 8:44 AM

Well, you could always burn off the carbon. Kinda makes having a Prius even more pointless though.

Good Answers: 963

Re: Carbon Buildup in Toyota Hybrid EGR Exhaust Baffle

05/19/2016 1:20 PM

You might try soaking it overnight in simple green and using a copper brush to clean it off....

Good Answers: 26

Re: Carbon Buildup in Toyota Hybrid EGR Exhaust Baffle

05/20/2016 2:31 AM

The best stuff if GM 1050002 (top engine cleaner) if you can find it. I've seen it on Ebay. If you can't, try using Berrymans B12. A bottle is around $3-4 at Walmart. Seafoam is also good.

I've heard about Simple Green, but I've never used it.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Autobroker (1); PWSlack (1); redfred (2); SolarEagle (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Rust Prevention Additives for Wet Blasting Steel   Next in Forum: Reversible Color Change

Advertisement