CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Seagate 500 GB Mini Hard Disk Password Remove   Next in Forum: Atmel 89S52 Code to Maxim DS89C450 Conversion Help Required
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 70

Converting .STP to .STEP free and easy..

05/26/2016 2:09 PM

Dear sirs,

If you google such a term (how to convert .stp to .step for free) ...a million web sites pop up offering to handle this or other file conversions.. When I (or you) click on the link, a host of banners and lists of the 'top 10' etc. are displayed for easy pickings.

You know how this ends up. Me.. (or you) not really finding a free simple file converter of this sort. I've gotten as far as half a download. I have no clue what it did or why it stopped, but I'm weary of looking.

Any help greatly appreciated. If I must spend $ to do the deed where's a reasonable place to do so? I don't run CAD programs as my computer would explode along with my brain.

-Lost in the 4th dimension

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1129

Re: Converting .STP to .STEP free and easy..

05/26/2016 2:41 PM

Haven't tried this , so no guarantee....

http://www.3d-viewers.com/

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 81

05/26/2016 4:20 PM

Do you want to do this a few times or for longer? You could install a trial of AutoDesk Inventor or Fusion which will both import .stp & export .STEP.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 94

05/26/2016 11:04 PM

Um, unless something has changed since I retired two years ago, stp and step extensions are the same format neutral data file. stp was originally used on DOS machines when file names and extensions were stuck with 5 file name characters and 3 file extension characters due to DOS file naming limitations. When MS finally freed up that limitation (and on UNIX systems) the step extension came into wider use.

That said, just try renaming "filename.stp" to "filename.step" and see what happens (capitalization is not necessary).

Also be aware that there are text and binary variations of step files but most import/export programs can interpret both. Check with your software manual or vendor to be sure.

Hooker <-- who was on the step development committee oh so many years ago.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 1129
In reply to #3

05/26/2016 11:51 PM

06/01/2016 11:19 AM

Gulp.. how do I saw this? I screwed up the trajectory and I'm just now trying to correct it.

What about converting .stl to .step? .stl files are commonly used for 3D printers.

In reply to #5

06/01/2016 12:08 PM

As in my post#2, you could install a trial copy of Inventor or Fusion, maybe Solidworks but I can't say for sure if Solidworks will import stl.

In reply to #6

06/01/2016 12:12 PM

I will give it a go.. Thanks!

In reply to #7

06/01/2016 12:16 PM

If you are in real trouble you could mail me the file & I could convert it.

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

In reply to #5

06/01/2016 12:22 PM

What is your goal? Do you need to import a step file into a CAD system?

If so, most solid modeling systems have an stl import function (as well as a step import/export functions) so you don't need to create a step file first.

But your major problem if you're are trying to get the stl file into a CAD system is that it will be imported as an unintelligent "lump".

A better method is to use a suite like Autodesk's 3D Studio Max and Inventor to get the dumb tessalated model into something that could be handled with the functions of a solid modeler and then exported to step.

I've tried this on several occasions and usually get a reasonable representation into the CAD system but it is difficult to modify. If your intention is to manipulate the stl shape, that is better done in an organic modeler like 3D Studio Max. And step format would not be needed for that.

But, then, I could be totally wrong about what you are trying to do. There are other newer tools that come with 3D scanning systems but I am out of date on them.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

06/01/2016 3:40 PM

I'm not looking to modify a .step file. I have designed a couple of parts using free 3D modeling software that will export in .stl, .X3D, .obj, or .vrml (this time they are simple sheet metal pieces with some small holes punched into them)

I am ok with developing 3D parts this way too and have had some good success printing them.

In the past I had to take my drawings to a guy who is a full time CAD engineer who could whip out designs in .step format which seems to be popular for this type of project.

My problem is that I'd like to submit these files for a manufacturing quote.

I'm afraid that if I submit .stl files they may not be the prefered format for the companies looking to provide a quote which will lead to either requests for a proper file type, or worse yet, my request being ignored entirely.

I would settle for a temporary solution for converting file types, but would love to be able to convert files in the future as well.

I could be way off base here as I'm working on a few assumptions.

In reply to #10

06/01/2016 6:22 PM

The fact that your export options only include the file formats you list implies that the modeler you are using targets 3D modeling for presentation use, character modeling, and/or optimized video game models.

There's nothing wrong with that but your goals demand an engineering modeling system with output formats like step, iges, dxf and/or stl. Most engineering modelers include stl export because 3D Systems provided the source code under open license to make StereoLithography more accessible.

I'm sure you are comfortable with your current modeler but I highly recommend you acquire and learn an engineering modeler. You will then be able to output annotated models which will show your design intent as well as the shape of the model. The data will also be more precise.

I, for one, would prefer to quote from drawings instead of a file of a model converted multiple times. There are several free/low cost modelers available out there but I won't recommend any since I don't know your exact skills or requirements.

Hooker

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #10

06/01/2016 7:20 PM

If looking to make .stl files, you might consider Autodesk 123D software. This is completely free & includes a variety of tools to create shapes including scanning. Autodesk have introduced this because they have entered the 3D printer market. You could import your .stp, .step or .stl files & modify them.

06/05/2016 7:35 PM

I've been messing with Autodesk123D .. I was aware of it, but hadn't really looked into it. like some of their other programs/apps Very nice.. I'm living in a world of tutorials.

I'll just throw out my previous work and stark over! Back to school for me..

thanks for pointing me in the right deflection.

Good Answers: 230
In reply to #13

06/06/2016 5:25 AM

"I'll just throw out my previous work and stark over!"
Are you designing an exosuit?

06/06/2016 8:46 AM

Some people will wear anything, but that doesn't make it an exosuit..

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Hooker (3); JE in Chicago (5); Nigh (4); Randall (1); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: Seagate 500 GB Mini Hard Disk Password Remove   Next in Forum: Atmel 89S52 Code to Maxim DS89C450 Conversion Help Required

Advertisement