CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Atmel 89S52 Code to Maxim DS89C450 Conversion Help Required   Next in Forum: MS Outlook 365 is a Total Loser
Close
Close
Close
13 comments

Serial Port Programming

06/14/2016 11:52 AM

Hi, I have Web page which is in php format I want to sent data to the serial port of computer. I am using Windows. My question, is it possible that visual Basic dot net program can be send information from the Web page to the serial port of computer.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Serial port programming
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174

Re: Serial port programming

06/14/2016 12:04 PM

Yes.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 235

06/14/2016 12:07 PM

If there is data, it certainly can be sent to the serial port. The question is how to access the data on the web server. What are the origins of the data? Is it from external users posting, like this forum? Or is it data internally generated and posted on your website? You might want to look at this:

http://www.w3schools.com/website/web_spa_homepage.asp

As for working with serial ports, this is my favorite:

http://docklight.de

Good luck with your quest.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer

In reply to #2

06/14/2016 1:38 PM

I want to communicate electronic device through the serial port communication with Web application. Suppose I have Web page there are two buttons one button will send '1' on serial port of computer. & another button will send '0' on the serial port. I don't understand how to send this binary digit to the serial port.

How to send data from Web page to the serial port. I saw some links I think I have to develop Windows program in Dot net that will send data from the Web page to the serial port of computer. I just want to confirm so please help me.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #3

06/15/2016 10:24 AM

"Suppose I have Web page there are two buttons one button will send '1' on serial port of computer. & another button will send '0' on the serial port. I don't understand how to send this binary digit to the serial port."

Right there, you show a misunderstanding of serial ports.

You do not send a Binary Digit to a serial port, you send a Byte to the serial port.

You also need to have the serial port configured properly, based on the equipment you are sending the data to:

• Do you need to send 7-bit Bytes, or 8-bit Bytes?
  • How many Start Bits do you need to send?
  • How many Stop Bits do you need to send?
  • What Parity do you need to use? Even, Odd, or No?
  • What Baud Rate do you need to use?
  • Do you send the data Big Endian or Little Endian?
  • What sort of Handshaking do you need to set up?
  • Will you be communicating in Simplex, Half Duplex, or Full Duplex?

Once you have the answers to those questions, I'll be able to assist you, until then, I doubt anything I could say would enlighten you.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

Location: just died off here (now i may flicker back for a while)
In reply to #3

06/20/2016 10:43 AM

i don't know but you're addressing a general misconcept that all things must be done from the same place

the web.page can store cookies or even write files or databases - the content in what can be used as what your Comm "driver" perhaps on a different device will address to a COM/USB/... port yet on another device

webpages on end user are slow - unless you run some active-x (just perhaps https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa259393(v=vs.60).aspx) or another dynamic executable there

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

Re: Serial Port Programming

06/14/2016 2:33 PM

Good Answers: 1586
In reply to #4

06/14/2016 7:48 PM

What pairs well with Thunderbird?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #7

06/14/2016 10:27 PM

Firebird

In reply to #8

06/14/2016 10:44 PM

No comparison.

Post '57 T Birds are lead sleds.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 55

06/14/2016 7:25 PM

Mr. Axelson left nothing out of his 400 page reference tome:

Image is older 2nd edition, I think a 4th or 5th is out now.

The older RS-232/485 serial port one is now a classic, found in used book stores (minus the floppy disk):

Register to Reply

In reply to #6

06/15/2016 12:03 AM

I did Google search & I found that The Web page can't send any information to the physical port on computer.

I need help to understand which process is use to send information from Web page to the physical port on computer

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #10

06/15/2016 12:39 AM

Do another Google search to understand the process.

Hire an IT person.

Go back to school.

Give up.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (1); Ajay Sahare (2); Brave Sir Robin (1); Carl_E (1); ci139 (1); lyn (4); Mikerho (1); redfred (2)

Previous in Forum: Atmel 89S52 Code to Maxim DS89C450 Conversion Help Required   Next in Forum: MS Outlook 365 is a Total Loser

Advertisement