CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Using an AC Rated Contactor for DC Circuits   Next in Forum: How Can I Overlap 2 Different Signal
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 265

Mobile Service = Mobile Pricing

07/21/2016 4:46 PM

Albert Einstein, it is said, commented that "The hardest thing in the world to understand is the Income Tax." I believe one reason Einstein said this is, he did not have to try and decipher a monthly bill for his (and that of Mrs. Einstein) cellular phone and/or mobile devices.

There is a tremendous rant about cellular service carriers just waiting to pop out (about my selected carrier in particular, but I believe if I change from my current rascal to a different rascal there will simply be a different set of issues) regarding the science – the technology – the varied bits of magic that it takes to make these marvelous devices operate at all… why oh why cannot some of that technology be applied wherever it needs to go so that my monthly invoice is correct? My invoice from May 2016 was $73 bucks, invoice in June was $95 bucks, I just received the July invoice at $235 bucks. The agreed to price for my cell service is around $65 bucks a month, and has been pretty steadily there for the 9 or 10 months previous to the $73 bill. [edit] The phone was new about a year ago, no changes since signup in service, equipment, plan, anything. There are no sundown offers in place - it's just a phone.

The customer service people with whom I speak about this are always helpful and readily agree there are some misapplied charges for some reason or another, and they reverse them, bringing my bill back to the customary $65 bucks.

I have pretty basic cell phone service, but my usual monthly bill is still 4 pages long, printed both sides. There are tariffs, surcharges, use taxes, FCC fees, blah blah blah ad nauseam. There are plan fees, plan deductions, basic and flat charges, a charge for enhanced service, and more blah blah blah. The most recent bill is (iirc) 8 pages both sides, blah blah and more blah.

So… why? Why do I have to call? How come these characters can't keep it straight?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 620

Re: Mobile Service = Mobile Pricing

07/21/2016 4:56 PM

I've heard greaet things about Cricket Wireless. I know a guy who uses that carrier, and is happy with the service and costs. I'm locked in to a different carrier right now, but at my first opportunity I will switch to Cricket.

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #1

07/22/2016 1:35 PM

I use cricket wireless. I pay 22 dollars for 2.5 GB and unlimited texting/messaging

sounds like its fake but its not.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/plans-and-features/cricket-plans-and-features/customer/group-save-discounts.html

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

In reply to #7

07/22/2016 2:48 PM

Have you noticed any of this attempted bill padding (for lack of another phrase) foolishness on your monthly statements?

Good Answers: 1586

07/21/2016 5:17 PM

There is no legitimate reason for this.

You have to call because it takes time, is a pain in the rear and the wait times are 10x what they would be if you wanted to become a new customer.

All this means that many people pay the bloated bill because it is less of a pain than spending 45 minutes on the phone with someone from some non-English steaking country who does not have a command of your language.

And, they call that customer "service".

What really burns me is the fact that the cellular infrastructure in this country is well established and mature. I have cell service 7 miles out of town in Arkansas.

But, we're still paying the same rates as when they were building the system.

We're also paying a surcharge so unemployed people can have free phones. (These are inappropriately called "Obama phones".

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

07/21/2016 5:38 PM

"All this means that many people pay the bloated bill because it is less of a pain than spending 45 minutes on the phone with someone from some non-English speaking country who does not have a command of your language."

I hate to think that you're right about this, but you're probably right about this.

The cynic in me says that most people are not able to figure out if they are being overcharged a few dollars... I really hate to think that unethical tactic might be used, but I guess it could be.

Starting with the May invoice, the carrier started charging me North Dakota Use Tax ($1.85, I think). Shown up on my bill every month since. I moved from ND more than two years ago.

In reply to #3

07/21/2016 7:55 PM

Read More Dirty Little Secret Lives of Phone Bills - TeleTruth

Scroll down to see Verizon bill.

If our leaders weren't being purchased by the highest bidder, we might have a chance.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 576

07/21/2016 7:42 PM

A combination of high demand and government bureaucracy.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 241

07/21/2016 9:29 PM

Google Fi Service has caught my eye. I may be giving it a try.

Good Answers: 158
In reply to #6

07/22/2016 8:40 PM

I checked it out today, and ordered a phone. Nexus 5X is $199 with a $150 rebate through Aug. 11th. I, and my family are in very rural areas, so I figured if it works as advertised, I will switch the other 4 phones over.

Thanks for the info, I will let you know how it works out via PM.

Good Answers: 241
In reply to #9

07/22/2016 11:07 PM

Let us know your experience in here, or possibly start a new thread if you don't mind. I'm sure many people would like to know.

07/22/2016 11:34 PM

We got Trac Phones (not an endorsement) for our pre-teen boys. The phones are $20.00 USD and you purchase blocks of minutes. They allow us to call them when it is time to come home.

If basic is what you want, this is it. Phone, text and camera. They may do more, I don't know.

Interestingly enough, neither of them want to carry a phone and have to be reminded to take them when they go out to play.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

07/26/2016 4:06 PM

"Interestingly enough, neither of them want to carry a phone and have to be reminded to take them when they go out to play."

If the kids carried their phones, they would have to answer when you called, then come home for dinner.

I used a 'disposable phone' (not TracPhone, but same idea) for quite a few years, and was completely satisfied. In fact, I got geographic coverage where a number of other people got zero bars! But now... ya know, as I consider, I'm not exactly sure just how I was talked into this current cell phone entanglement.

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #11

09/04/2016 8:31 PM

You can get smart phones through tracfone as well. I'm currently using an android based LG phone from them that I got for 20 bucks (refurbished). Came with lifetime triple minutes too.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 2

09/04/2016 8:24 PM

And THAT, my friend, is why I use a pay-as-you-go phone from tracfone.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Doorman (3); Kilowatt0 (1); lyn (3); nfhiggs (2); red_fish (1); Rixter (1); truth is not a compromise (2); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Using an AC Rated Contactor for DC Circuits   Next in Forum: How Can I Overlap 2 Different Signal

Advertisement