CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Nicotine and Niacin   Next in Forum: Cleaning Bathroom Stone Floor
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 11

Computational Tool for Shaping Auxetic Materials

07/27/2016 8:01 AM

The big picture of a shoe caught my eye, but this article about shaping auxetic materials (from one of my alma maters) is of interest way beyond making shoes.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 330

Re: Computational Tool for Shaping Auxetic Materials

07/27/2016 8:42 AM

Your link didn't show much for me... maybe my computer.

I have often wondered about pattern making in the clothier or shoe industry that would be similar to sheet metal unfolding routines where they take a 3D model.... like a proposed shoe, and unfold it.

Of course like in CADD, you still have to construction plan as your creating it for unfolding but with the clothing industry, you still have to have aesthetics playing the key roles. But the software lets you select materials (with their properties), types of stitching, heat sealing/gluing and such, that compensates for the materials needed.

I'm sure there's something out there. I just thought that would really enable to bring style or even fads to market so much quicker.

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #1

07/27/2016 9:09 AM
Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 148
In reply to #2

07/27/2016 3:55 PM

The old way of curving large diameter pipes: Cut a lot of "pie" sections, and weld them up. I think the art has improved its state immensely since 1940.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

07/27/2016 3:53 PM

Auxetic materials maybe could in fact make a spherical shape from a flat sheet, but it will never hold water! LOL ! OR will it - if the holes are small enough and the materials is hydrophobic enough, who knows, maybe the interfacial tension will keep water inside...

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 616
In reply to #3

07/27/2016 4:55 PM

A wikipedia article mentions a number of Auxetic materials including a form of Goretex and graphene (is there anything it can't do?). Both would be capable of enough curve to hold some water - though there isn't enough info to say if a single flat sheet could be made into a complete sphere.

'Auxetic' is my new word for the week. Kind of like 'exotic', but turned inside-out -- which is rather fitting, so to speak.

In reply to #5

07/27/2016 5:00 PM

Kinda makes you go hmmm....

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174
In reply to #5

07/27/2016 10:22 PM

Kind of my thoughts too. This is the first I've heard of these materials. Now, I'm sucked in to a bunch of internet research (and the plethora of rabbit trails I am sure to go off on) to understand how these actually work., but

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 15

07/27/2016 11:34 PM

For some wider thinking, combine auxetic materials with kirigami (origami with scissors) thinking and apply to lightweight bullet resistance barriers and mining equipment developments. A bit more to google and discover.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235671877_Kirigami_Auxetic_Pyramidal_Core_Mechanical_Properties_and_Wave_Propagation_Analysis_in_Damped_Lattice

In reply to #8

07/28/2016 4:58 PM

Now if we could just engineer this into a material that will stop an RPG, or cut it in half in a nanosecond....before it arms and impacts. (or vice versa).

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 10

07/28/2016 7:48 PM

Conceptually, I could rationalize the shaping of (new-tech ?) materials to form, say, the (smoother/Higher-temperature-resistant/stress-resistant/stress-relieving/other) products to form the surface panels of, say, higher speed aircraft, but I don't see the value to humanity, as a whole, of making a (million-dollar) pair of shoes for a very few, very rich, (consumers), when much of the world has no choice but to go around essentially barefoot...

Good Answers: 39

07/29/2016 10:29 AM

A person with a laser cutter or water jet and a tig welder could have a ball with this. From a design standpoint, it appears the shoe was done with a triangular pattern with three legs and then the triangle is rotated to expand the local area. I could see waterjetting grid panels and then rotating the individual triangles to a predetermined rotation to get the 3d shape and then drop in and weld precut fillers for the openings generated by the rotation, or possibly something like metal spray or electroforming to fill the gaps. If preplanned right, everything could be done with CNC.

NEAT!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (1); Don from Oz (1); James Stewart (4); Jpfalt (1); Mikerho (1); MR. Guest (1); phoenix911 (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Nicotine and Niacin   Next in Forum: Cleaning Bathroom Stone Floor

Advertisement