CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Difference Between Automation Test and Plant Automation Engineer   Next in Forum: Can an Instrumentation Engineer Work as a Process Engineer?
Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Associate

RJ45 Connectors For CAT-7 Cables

07/28/2016 9:50 AM

Friends,

i want to confirm if this statement (made by my control system vendor) is true?

There is no way (technical not possible) for customer to do Cat7 RJ45 connector connection at project site, Cat7 RJ45 connector must be done inside IT factory (i.e. tell factory: each Cat7 length requirement, they will use special modular machine to make connection at both end, tested & delivered).

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: CAT-7 RJ45
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 450

Re: RJ45 CONNECTORS FOR CAT-7 CABLES

07/28/2016 10:09 AM

Good Answers: 1559

07/28/2016 10:11 AM

Never done it myself but it looks like it's done all the time.

Cat 7 RJ45 Connectors | Products & Suppliers | Engineering360

• Guaranteed On Time Delivery
  • 90 Day Hassle Free Returns
  • Instant Quotes
  • APO/FPO Shipping
  • 100% Secure Shopping

Recently Viewed Products

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1089

07/28/2016 1:24 PM

They probably mean for proper certification pursuant to contractual obligation...the connections need to be made and tested in house for certification...field connection fabrication not certifiable....

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 262
In reply to #3

07/28/2016 2:37 PM

Agreed, this is a likely and defensible position for them to have.

However, it's not "There is no way (technical not possible) for customer to do Cat7 RJ45 connector connection at project site."

In reply to #5

07/28/2016 2:49 PM

Well there may be something lost in translation....There is no way for the customer to do a technically compliant Cat7 RJ45 connection in the field.....would be a true statement in this case....

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 744
In reply to #6

07/28/2016 4:31 PM

Are "technically compliant" and "bureaucratically compliant" the same thing?

In reply to #7

07/28/2016 5:22 PM

Well I wouldn't think bureaucratical practices are necessarily best practices related to technical standards in every circumstance and instance, but I would not think that technically compliant rises to a higher level either relating to proper practices relating to existing governing standards that are being cited as the guiding reference...so yes they are theoretically equivalent...without further criteria...imo

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #8

07/28/2016 6:03 PM

Spoken like a true bureaucrat.

In reply to #7

07/28/2016 6:28 PM

Take a look at OP's history of questions and you will find that he won't know what you are talking about. Also, the construction of the question renders it unanswerable.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

07/28/2016 9:20 PM

That never stopped us before...

In reply to #11

07/28/2016 9:33 PM

I know.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #3

07/29/2016 5:44 AM

Oh dear, I have to slap myself on the wrist because I do these connections all the time and I didn't know that it "couldn't be done". The OP either needs to buy the correct equipment and train his own staff to make connections of a certifiable quality, or to hire in a sub-contractor who will test and certify any RJ45 terminations he completes. Just add it to the specification when you place the order. In some applications it is impractical to draw a ready terminated cable through a duct and in many instances the equipment to be connected is not in place when the CAT-7 cables are installed, so they are put in over length and cut to suit when the kit arrives. If in the future a length of CAT-7 is wiped out by a fork truck*, does the vendor expect the plant to sit idle while a new length it terminated at his factory and shipped to the client? Would he be prepared to pay the downtime cost?

(* Is it just my clients who hire people with the driving skills of a chimpanzee to dive their fork trucks or does everybody have the same problem?)

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 262
In reply to #19

08/03/2016 3:49 PM

This thread is similar to something else we have discussed… replacing the damaged molded end of a power extension cord and returning the cord to service.

I know darn well that this (the repair of a damaged cord) can be done fairly easily, it isn’t a big deal. With the varied regulations at my place of employment, a repaired power cord is verboten. Use ‘em at home, give ‘em away as gifts, fine with me, I simply can’t have them at my shop.

These Cat7 cables we are considering here may be used in human medical equipment for all we know.

Power-User

Good Answers: 55

07/28/2016 1:30 PM

Field terminating an RJ-45 is a detailed, tedious job requiring a skilled conscientious worker.

My neighbor makes a living installing network cabling doing just that. The cable comes on spools, it is cut-to-length and terminated by installers like him who strip the cores, position the cable and crimp the RJ-45's. Each cable is then tested with a cable tester. There are specialty tools for stripping and crimping, but the devil is in the details. Like anything, it can be done the right way or lots of different wrong ways.

I understand the vendor's position because he, like I, has probably experienced a dozen times where the a 'it isn't working' fault was not his installed equipment, it was bad RJ-45 connections, that he wasn't responsible for. By insisting on commercial cables, the likelihood of bad connections significantly diminishes.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Associate

Good Answers: 1

Re: RJ45 Connectors For CAT-7 Cables

07/28/2016 10:42 PM

When I rewired my office, I made 6 Cat7 cables from my computer to the other 3 walls. It is not difficult.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

07/29/2016 12:01 AM

...if your close-up vision is still good.

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #14

07/29/2016 12:29 AM

The conductors are color coded and the plug is color coded.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 160
In reply to #14

07/29/2016 12:34 AM

...or you use a good quality binocular loupe.

Good Answers: 6

07/29/2016 12:50 AM

Of course the vendor is going to say that because he wants the job to make the cables so he can make money by supplying the cable & plugs then charge a fee to install plugs & test. Anything is possible if the person doing the job has the right training & equipment to do the job. there is always the chance that a factory fitted plug could get damaged while being installed so what do you do in that case pull the whole cable out get the factory to resupply or just refit a plug on site?

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

07/29/2016 2:35 AM

You definitely can do that yourself but you'd need the equipment for clamping the cat cable on the connector and the test module to test if all cables in the cat are correctly connected and work properly.

You also need to keep in mind that if you somewhere in the making of the cable [bad language removed] mess up you throw away money if you can't use if for a smaller length piece.

It's easier to buy if from an IT guy or computer parts store and usually not really any more expensive then when you do it yourself. If you fuck up however you're definitely going to be spending more then when you get it readily made.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 143

08/03/2016 5:02 PM

What they are telling you:

(1) it is not compliant with government regulations for you to do this yourself, as you cannot attest to the degree of radiated RF power from faulty connections made.

(2) It is not cost effective for you to do this, since it requires special tools you are not likely to use on a frequent basis.

(3) Forget about it, and buy their cables, after you communicate fully with them.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

AWSCWI(RETIRED) (2); brettj1au (1); Carl_E (1); dc_ulrich (1); dkwarner (1); Doorman (2); James Stewart (1); jhhassociates (1); JohnDG (1); lyn (3); SolarEagle (4); Tornado (3)

Previous in Forum: Difference Between Automation Test and Plant Automation Engineer   Next in Forum: Can an Instrumentation Engineer Work as a Process Engineer?

Advertisement