CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®
Login | Register for Engineering Community (CR4)

Previous in Forum: RJ45 Connectors For CAT-7 Cables   Next in Forum: Belt Scale Poor Repeatability
Close
Close
Close
10 comments

Can an Instrumentation Engineer Work as a Process Engineer?

07/30/2016 12:15 PM

I am an instrumentation engineering student and was planning to do masters in process engineering so could someone tell me whether a instrumentation engineer can work as a process engineer and would it be a good choice to pursue masters in process engineering after obtaining a bacherlor degree in nstrumentation engineering?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1532

Re: Can an Instrumentation Engineer Work as a Process Engineer?

07/30/2016 12:51 PM

Do it the other way round IF you want to be a process engineer.

My experience with the instrument guys who have worked for me is that they know instrumentation very well (why I hired them) but do not know processes and must have that part of their job brought to them by a process guy.

Where I worked at the time we had numerous processes to work with and there was no way one guy could have ever done both.

Sadly, we KNOW NOTHING about you or your talents, what field you want to go into, so that's about it.

I'll add this, if you came to me with an instrumentation degree, then a masters in process, I would not hire you as a process engineer.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 963

07/30/2016 2:49 PM

You could work as a process control system engineer.....maybe

Education/Experience:

• Bachelor of Science Degree in appropriate and related basic science or engineering field with a PE license preferred
  • Ten (10) or more years working in one or more of the following service areas: Chemicals, Petrochemicals, Polymers, Utility, Energy, and Manufacturing
  • Knowledge of all facets of process instrumentation and control systems project design and implementation
  • Ability to perform and check sizing calculations for flow meters and control valves
  • Experience with PLC specification, Operator Interface, and Process Automation Controllers; configuration knowledge is a plus
  • Experience with P & ID’s, instrument loop diagrams, wiring schematic diagrams, panel layout and detail drawings
  • Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Access, PowerPoint and Excel); familiar with Revit and Autodesk CAD (3D preferred) software

http://www.indeed.com/cmp/Chemstress-Consultant-Company/jobs/Process-Control-System-Engineer-c898a2b06f5bfaf3?sjdu=QwrRXKrqZ3CNX5W-O9jEvVAqVsPWlF0EFv8nwAMQJlLe__B_44-gbVeF_PS335iZCUhD0W1B7gbMnmtRL72392bt4ZHJ-xol4PtP7m79kZI

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 730

07/30/2016 8:26 PM

You could always go for a job with Velveeta Cheese--that's process at its purest.

Instrumentation and Process are closely enough aligned that there should be quite a bit of overlap and transferable skill.

On the other hand, anal bureaucrats and company or national cultures may pretend that there is some stark divide between these emphases.

Good Answers: 1532
In reply to #3

07/30/2016 9:12 PM

"Instrumentation and Process are closely enough aligned"

Depending on your definition of the two words and the industry concerned.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 156

07/30/2016 9:35 PM

Our instrumentation guy has been here for many years and knows the instrumentation and how it works very well. It's amazing how much he has in that brain of his. He is also often very hard to understand when he is talking.

However, he knows our processes extremely well. He has to know the processes by necessity. How can you control something without knowing intimately how it works?

Ideally, this combination of disciplines would sequence: Process Engineer first, then Instrumentation Engineer. The disciplines do go hand-in-hand though, and I don't see anything wrong with pursuing a Masters in Process Engineering.

One thing that is extremely important in ANY engineering discipline is communication. I realize that English is probably not your original language, and you are doing very well at it. Keep in mind however, that prospective employers look very closely at punctuation and spelling on resumes.

Best of luck!

P.S. If you end up having an opportunity to work for Lyn, it's best not to submit your Masters in Process Engineering resume anyway, as he'd be a real hard-a$$ to work for.

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #5

07/31/2016 12:38 AM

GA!

"Keep in mind however, that prospective employers look very closely at punctuation and spelling on resumes." I definitely agree!

Since the OP gives no information on his/her location, we can't tell, but I certainly hope you're right that English is not his/her first language.

The advent of texting and other similar forms of communication has fostered a great deal of shortcuts and just plain laziness. I see no appropriate use of such in science and engineering, where poor sentence structure can communicate totally wrong ideas.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 673

07/31/2016 5:46 PM

The only person who can answer that question is the individual making the hiring decision.

To ask a bunch of anonymous contributors to a global engineering forum is rather obstruse!

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 156
In reply to #7

08/01/2016 1:45 PM

Obstruse.

Is that a new word - abstruse and obtuse at the same time? Hmmm... deep AND dense (thick, if you will).

Good Answers: 16

08/01/2016 10:38 AM

I fully recommend going for your masters in process, however stay in instrumentation for your career. You have to fully understand the process in order to effectively automate the process. When we hire new grad program engineers the first thing we train them is in process.

Side note…my company specializes in instrumenting powder handling processes. When we exhibited at powder shows, most of the process engineers visiting the booth had no desire to learn what the controls were doing. In many cases they were repulsed and ran the other way.

However when we exhibit at the Rockwell Automation Fair, all the instrument engineers were fascinated about the process equipment in the booth and always wanted to learn more. In my mind this makes the instrument engineers more valuable.

Guru
Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 15

08/02/2016 8:51 AM

You can end up working in any field, you just have to get that particular job. The hardest part is getting the job.

Your education/degree should let you get your "foot in the door", as it were. Where you can go from there is up to you and your employer. It really depends on what you are willing to learn once you have graduated and what opportunities you are given or make for yourself once you have become employed, and here is the kicker, by an employer that is flexible enough to give you the opportunities and not just pigeon hole you in one specific area. It may not be your first employer.

Personally, my degree is in Agricultural Engineering, but I have spent most of my career in other fields, from railway track maintenance to structural engineering and to automotive related.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Delmar (1); dkwarner (1); Kevin LaPaire (1); lyn (2); Mikerho (2); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: RJ45 Connectors For CAT-7 Cables   Next in Forum: Belt Scale Poor Repeatability

Advertisement