CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Education & Student Support Area on CR4 - Any Interest?   Next in Forum: Inverters, UPS, Smps
Close
Close
Close
6 comments

Is it Possible to Study a Different Field than Your Undergrad Degree, In Masters

07/31/2016 3:27 PM

Hi, everybody, I wonder if it is possible to study in a different field than your undergrad degree, in master/graduate program ?

For example, I have a biomedical undergrad degree, can I pursue my education as industrial engineering or mechanical engineering for master/graduate program ?

If yes. What should I do to fulfill this step? I heard some universities have pre-graduate programs. Anyone who has information about these programs ?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 350

Re: Is it possible to study different field than your undergrad degree, in master

07/31/2016 3:55 PM

What does the University say?

You really should be asking them this question as the answer will likely vary from country to country and University to University. Alternative Universities may not accept your current course credits either, so start with the University you got your first qualification from and go from there.

Good Answers: 1589

Re: Is it possible to study different field than your undergrad degree, in master

07/31/2016 4:34 PM

Who will do your work for you IF you ever get a job?

What Can Be Done After Graduating From Biomedical Engineering Major?

Do some research on your own.

Ask questions of people who are instructors and potential employers.

You can study whatever you want. But, YOU need to decide what that will be.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1129

Re: Is it Possible to Study Different Field than Your Undergrad Degree, In Master

07/31/2016 5:32 PM

This is going to vary from place to place....You need to find a university that offers the degree you want and see what prerequisites are required...Without knowledge of what you want to specialize in, and what resources you have available, what your abilities might be, where you want to end up, and other pertinent information, we can only give general information....

https://engineering.tamu.edu/industrial/academics/degrees/graduate

http://study.com/biomedical_engineering_undergraduate.html

http://www.ou.edu/coe/academics.html

Good Answers: 3

Re: Is it Possible to Study a Different Field than Your Undergrad Degree, In Masters

08/01/2016 1:20 AM

Yes, you can, but how to do it depends on the university requirements for the particular course of study. In my case, my first degree was in Mechanical Engineering and I wanted to switch to Chemical Engineering for a Masters degree. To qualify, I had to take additional Chemistry courses (Advanced Organic and Physical Chemistry) and a Sophomore level course in Material and Energy balances. I was able to take two of these as electives in my Senior year and the third one in Summer school after I graduated.

You should discuss your plans with a faculty member to find out what specific requirements you need to meet.

Good Answers: 33

Re: Is it Possible to Study a Different Field than Your Undergrad Degree, In Masters

08/01/2016 10:11 AM

Yes you can. As long as prerequisites for the Masters are met. An easy transition can take place if you've obtained your Bachelors in Accounting and get a Masters in Business Administration.

A lot of teachers have Bachelors in one concentration and a Masters in another, such a BSBA in Mathematics and a Masters in English, or Bachelors in something and Masters in Education.

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 128

08/02/2016 9:23 AM

The closer the subjects are, the easier to get into the graduate program, though they may ask you to take some high level undergraduate courses as part of you degree requirements.

In theory you can get into any graduate program with any undergraduate degree. However you will probably need to ace the subject specific GRE for the graduate program if it is a huge leap (like English or History to Physics). I think one Engineering field to another will be fine. You may just have to do some extra work / take extra entrance exams.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bayes (1); Ed Elton (1); jack of all trades (1); Janissaries (1); lyn (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Education & Student Support Area on CR4 - Any Interest?   Next in Forum: Inverters, UPS, Smps

Advertisement