CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: 4-Pin Trailer Plug Replacement   Next in Forum: Chinese Bus Drives Over Cars
Close
Close
Close
30 comments
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 103

Maglev

08/02/2016 12:13 PM

I'm wondering if maglev technology could be used for autos and trucks. Anything seems to be possible these days. I'm thinking of parallel lines of electromagnetic fields embedded in the pavement. Vehicles would still have wheels for steering and stopping.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

Re: Maglev

08/02/2016 12:26 PM

The secondary advantage in a magnetic levitation (magleg) train is the near zero friction between train and bed. Wheels steer things by having less friction in one direction than another on the plane of motion. When one levitates then there is effectively no friction in any direction.

The primary advantage of maglev is the propulsion engine is in the bed and not part of the train. The engine does not get accelerated or moved at all, only the magnetic fields change.

Good Answers: 588
In reply to #1

08/02/2016 1:36 PM

A good point. I remember from college some guys built a hovercraft. It had almost no friction and slid easily off the crown of the road and into the curb. The big problem is steering and having vehicles moving in opposite directions on a roadway is a recipe for disaster.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703

08/02/2016 12:52 PM

As a MagLev is a guided transport system, there would be no need for wheels and steering as in unguided systems; the thing would simply be a MagLev and not an car/auto or a lorry/truck.

While it is certainly possible, the investment needed would be most likely out-performed by existing cutting-edge technologies, which is why the existing car/auto/lorry/truck manufacturers are pursuing them instead of MagLev.

However, the prospect of travelling at speeds up to 431kph, as happens on the Shanghai MagLev as a matter of daily routine, makes MagLev attractive for niche applications. A ride on the system rates as a tourist attraction in its own right, and is a "must do" experience when visiting that particular city.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 341
In reply to #2

08/02/2016 1:05 PM

i.e... and now were back to trains...

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703
In reply to #4

08/03/2016 9:55 AM

No, MagLevs!

The original poster is looking for a subsurface magnetic guidance system for wheeled vehicles, which isn't a MagLev. Vehicle manufacturers are working on satellite-based guidance systems for wheeled vehicles, which aren't MagLevs either.

Because a MagLev doesn't use wheels.

Good Answers: 167
In reply to #16

08/03/2016 10:20 AM

You are right, that what he's proposing isn't MagLev, because there is no levitation.

It's not at all clear, but as I understand it, neither is he proposing a magnetic guidance system. I think he's proposing a magnetic propulsion system, presumably to reduce pollution.

Unfortunately, magnetic fields strong enough to propel vehicles are only useful over very small distances, so each vehicle would require some fairly massive magnetic structure that could be lowered for use on magnetic roads (which would have to be exceptionally smooth to avoid changes in separation between the road and the magnetic structure), and lifted up for driving on ordinary roads.

There are plenty of other limitations/obstacles as well...

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #17

08/03/2016 11:49 AM

I totally agree with comments #16 and #17. If you have wheels on the vehicle and try MAGLEV, the extra drag would seriously curtail performance. It would be a bit scary lifting off the road surface at first, also. I assume there would have to be a steering lock in the neutral (straight ahead) position. Maybe a wheel fairing could be deployed over the leading bottom parts of the vehicle to reduce drag, IDK.

At least with wheels still on, exiting the MAGLEV section (propulsion and guidance by magnetics) would not be as difficult, not so sure about the entrance ramp or what that looks like, or how to sync up to prevent a collision with high speed traffic on the MAGLEV part. I consider this to be highly inefficient mode of advanced travel.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #16

08/03/2016 10:32 AM

ya, not just trains, MAGLEV trains...

And the problem remains in the States, with the vast wide open spaces is creating the infrastructure to support it.

08/02/2016 1:02 PM

to name a few...

not advanced far enough just for power requirements... its not powering one train (actually the track is the motor) so the track is not actually lifting and powering one train, but a number of vehicles each with its own 'pilot'. With each pilot having its own destination and abilities.

how would it handle intersections without interruptions.... power transfer for power assist?

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 753

08/02/2016 2:39 PM

What would you do? Drop the vehicles out of maglev mode so the wheels would touch the ground?

In reply to #6

08/02/2016 2:43 PM

so would the string of cars behind and in front on the same circuit. A headache to the nth degree.

Good Answers: 1140

08/02/2016 4:34 PM

Oh but you're thinking too small ...

The future...

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #8

08/02/2016 4:58 PM

I like that, on that one I suppose there is a small rest room? Are we there yet?

In reply to #10

08/02/2016 6:26 PM

There are several car configurations....You can even have one custom built...

In reply to #12

08/03/2016 8:59 AM

I like most of this modular concept, but I would not want my "car" traveling next in line either in front of or behind a shipment of such hazardous chemicals as sulfuric acid, hydroflouric acid, caustic soda, hydrochloric acid, ammonia, or chlorine liquified gas.

The results could be deadly. That is I think why passenger rail travel and cargo by rail have mostly if not completely separated within the United States of 'Merika.

In reply to #12

08/03/2016 9:06 AM

In a way, it looks more like a car ferry only for land.

The types of drawbacks that traditional car ferry's have I'm sure will be the same here.

Here's a few.

• On-loading/Off-loading
  • time
  • congestion and points
  • accidents enroute

In reply to #15

08/03/2016 5:13 PM

08/02/2016 4:56 PM

I think your idea is possible, but only within the following scenario: One car designer has proposed a uni-chassis based on hydraulic propulsion (hydraulic motors, accumulator, pumps, ICE computer controlled opposing piston with peripheral disc fuel injection - INGOCAR). The important take-away from Ingo Valentin on his design is the idea that with fixed geometry hard mount points for the body, the vehicle can take on a range of styles and funtionalities. Snap off the body, and snap it to a MAGLEV carriage, the chassis stays at the depot. There would have to be a chassis sharing program.

I see this as making long distance trips across a continent more interesting, except one would not be allowed to stop and smell the roses, so to speak. Potty breaks and meals would also be somewhat problematic. It would be like preparing to go into orbit, and you would be somewhat locked into your trajectory for a while. Not saying that one could not for example travel from Boston to St. Louis, disembark, drive around, see the sights. Heck you could even keep going on to the next depot. Eventually you end up at your destination at the south rim of the Grand Canyon, take your pictures, then connect back to the MAGLEV, and ride in comfort back to Boston.

Good Answers: 115

08/02/2016 5:53 PM

I say just perfect the Telepod (without the flies).

Good Answers: 167

08/03/2016 1:05 AM

Of course it could, but...!. I have a very good friend who designed a complete system back in the early '60s. As I recall, his system put each vehicle on a "pallet". Electronics has come a long ways since then, so it is much nearer to practical now than it was then, but the required infrastructure could still only be practical for major routes, if at all.

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

08/04/2016 11:28 AM

Have you seen this? Interesting idea!

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #21

08/04/2016 12:01 PM

It's Volkswagen. They fake things.

In reply to #21

08/04/2016 2:05 PM

OK, I will bite. How does it "react" with minerals underground, rather in the ground to levitate? Is this all based on diamagnetics? I did see the aluminum beer can get kicked out of the way in the video.

In reply to #23

08/04/2016 2:14 PM

How?...

The answer is in the name of the flatulence drive system...

In reply to #24

08/04/2016 4:57 PM

ROFLMFAO once again!!!!

Good Answers: 588
In reply to #21

08/06/2016 9:29 PM

It's called special effects. It only works in videos!

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

08/06/2016 1:51 PM

My thought was speed could be controlled by the roadway field so all vehicles would travel at the same speed. Different lanes of traffic would have it's own magnetic field. Moving from on traffic lanes to progressively faster traffic lanes would be controlled by the rate of magnetic pulse in each lane. I know it sounds pretty complex, but theoretically it could be possible. Maybe the wheels could be replaced with linear motors; braking could be by regeneration. This is not something that can be retrofitted to current vehicles or roadways. It would be a complete new system; could possibly be used for long distance travel at high speed.

In reply to #26

08/08/2016 9:35 AM

Why don't you start experimenting with this, and let us know the HO scale result? Then we can start working on scaling it up to full size.

08/08/2016 2:21 PM

We have cars that can brake automatically in an emergency, self parking cars and driverless cars. What's next; maglev?

In reply to #29

08/08/2016 3:59 PM

What's next is a pile of junk from hell that nobody can take off-roading. Try going mudding in one of those maglevs.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dkwarner (2); James Stewart (8); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); phoenix911 (6); PWSlack (2); redfred (2); Rixter (2); ronseto (2); SolarEagle (3); Tornado (1); WJMFIRE (1)

Previous in Forum: 4-Pin Trailer Plug Replacement   Next in Forum: Chinese Bus Drives Over Cars

Advertisement