CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Chinese Bus Drives Over Cars   Next in Forum: Corvette EV Breaks Record
Close
Close
Close
30 comments
Participant

EOT Crane Fuse Getting Tripped

08/04/2016 2:53 AM

We are using a 4 ton crane from KONECRANES. Now the issue is when the crane is running the fuse associated to the motor is getting tripped off. Then we removed the motor and checked whether its running and at that tym the motor is running smooth. But when we fix it into the wheel of the crane and start the crane it moves provided that we dont apply brakes. After applying the brake again if we start the fuse is getting tripped off. Motor is also getting heated a lot. please advice.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 62

Re: EOT crane fuse gettting tripped

08/04/2016 4:41 AM

Dear Mr. Rahulvariyath,

The following may be the reasons.

1. The brake gets energised and applies brake, hence motor draws more current and fuse(s) get blown.

2. The cable to the motor from the control board may be defective, resulting in partial short-circuit.

3. You have not indicated the motor capacity, fuse rating etc. and it appears some mis-match for correct specs.

4. The gear box ratio may be mis-matching. For this the Linear Speed of the crane hook should be with in the design limits Plus or Minus 5 %. If the speed is more then lifting will become a problem, hence tripping.

Pl. post the full details and definitely CR4 members can identify and suggest a proper solution.

DHAYANANDHAN.S

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Participant

In reply to #1

08/04/2016 5:03 AM

Hi Mr.Dayanand

The motor capacity is 2.7 Amps max o/p 0.75 kw and the fuse which gets blown is of a rating 10A . And the motor is not of the hoist the motor which we face is of the long distance travel motor. This problem we faced in the evening. And today morning when we started the crane, it was working fine and again now the same issue is repeating and now the motor is really heated up and the fuse is getting blown. But when we detach the motor from the wheels of the crane its working good. So can it be something related with the wheels like when the motor is attached to it the wheels are not allowing the motor to work smooth which may make the motor overheated and an overloading which makes the fuse blown away.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 457
In reply to #2

08/04/2016 8:57 AM

What is the motor Full Load Current (FLC)?

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #2

08/06/2016 6:46 PM

The fuse is perhaps a little small for the application, unless a dual element type.

Locked rotor for the motor is about 2.7A x 6, or over 15A is possible. The only reason this is somewhat important is that when fuses blow, you expect to be faced with an electrical problem, not a mechanical problem.

You have shown that it is most likely a mechanical problem, especially observing the temperature of the motor. Your overload heaters should be tripping off the motor before the fuses blow.

Some of your readers may be confused that this overload happens in the hot afternoon and not in the cool morning, which I expect is misinterpretation of what you say above.

Perhaps the brake is not releasing, I have seen this happen before. Also a bad but not open connection of the motor starter contactor, power to the motor. Contactors wear out quickly on cranes due to use, many on-off & jogging operations. Use a clamp on meter to make sure all 3 phases are within 10-15% of each other. You should be able to measure this at the mains, running only the bridge or trolley. This will also show trouble mentioned by Phoenix911 with bad crane rail splices, or bad collector shoe, if an open type electrification, and not festoon cable.

Other possible realistic problems with an installation that has been running, and not hit by an earthquake, would be a failure in the gearbox, bad bearing, lubrication in the box or of the trolley wheel axle bearing. When turning by hand, there may not be enough load on the part to make the problem apparent, but noise & temperature at locations other than the motor can give you a clue.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #27

08/07/2016 1:04 PM

Mr,Williams,

As the problem is faced only in afternoon so the electrical problem happens in afternoon only which sounds funny. I had presumed it is mechanical problem which is occurs in afternoon due to heat. Let OP respond after detailed investigations.

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #28

08/08/2016 1:59 PM

In his post 2 which he marked off topic (not off topic), it sounds more like the first time they found the problem, it happened to be evening, no mention it was a recurring problem. If they left it overnight to cool, it could take several hours or more to heat up again, whether night or day, once it cooled off. So more accurate to say that it heats up with use, possibly mechanical, possibly electrical.

One of our readers expanded that one statement to more than what was actually said, perhaps correctly, perhaps not, but never explicitly stated.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #29

08/08/2016 3:54 PM

How about we whip that dead horsey some more? I think OP done gone and left the railroad.

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 341

08/04/2016 7:37 AM

A phone call to Cone Cranes may be in order.

I'll share my experience..

I had a 5 Ton, I believe it was a Konecrane.

There are a couple of motors on the crane, which one.

1. Hoist
  2. cross gantry/hoist
  3. And linear track/cross gantry

I don't know which one.

There can be a number of issues. If I recall, the control would give you a error, (It would be a sequence of blinking lights, this can help. Gives you an over current and such

The problem that I had was when the crane was running on the tracks, when it passed the electrical rail splice the spring loaded brushes would jump and trip it., I would have to reset it.

The other issues, make sure the drive wheels on the track are aligned. some times the couple slips... I thought it was a cheap design.

and it being a three phase, make sure you don't have a dead leg.

That some of what I experienced.

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

Re: EOT Crane Fuse Getting Tripped

08/04/2016 9:03 AM

Well, if you can't fix it, you really need to be calling the crane manufacturer and arranging a call-out rather than coming here, Mildred.

Good Answers: 167
In reply to #5

08/04/2016 11:39 PM

I think I've said it before, but I REALLY find your use of "Mildred" and other names demeaning, offensive, and inappropriate! STOP IT!

Good Answers: 113
In reply to #9

08/05/2016 5:06 AM

Now by acknowledging his use of the word that offends you, you have given it meaning!

I think our friend who seem to be a fan of a British sit-com show, long since finished, is giving us his version of humour, which I do not find offensive, and which many do not IMHO understand, no offense intended!

You must agree that while many posts/questions posted in this forum are verging on the obtuse and very left field, one has to apply a certain level of humour to those posts, while trying not to offend.

I find your reply, in this instance, to Crabtree rude.. but that's just my opinion, he can be annoying.. but I do like that fact that he is knowledgeable, he does not take this to seriously, and far to many folk do take themselves FAR to seriously...

So IMHO maybe you need to lighten up, relax a bit.... and not take this seriously, after all, everything we post here is only an opinion!

Good Answers: 167
In reply to #11

08/05/2016 10:38 AM

OK, I guess I should have asked others what they thought before being so direct.

Apparently, I am showing my age. I never did watch much TV; it seems I always have more constructive/useful tasks to occupy my time, such as trying to help a few people here on this forum.

"Now by acknowledging his use of the word that offends you, you have given it meaning!" I have? What meaning have I given it?

To me, ending a paragraph with "..., Mildred." is equivalent to ending the same paragraph with "..., you dumb [fill in the blank]."

I guess my British roots (virtually the only kind of roots I have) have all withered and died.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #22

08/05/2016 10:52 AM

I don't think so. Do not cast thy visage downward, and doubt thy power. Stand upon your feet, continue on your well-chosen path, and be proud of who you are!

I have known several "Mildreds" who were wonderful vivacious, clever, hard-working, and downright sexy. Do not let the stereotypes wear you down to beach sand. Do as the chinese railroad worker did, leave Gold Mountain when the tea box is empty!

Rule Britannia! Britains never, ever, ever will be slaves!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #9

08/05/2016 7:20 AM

I see it as humor... dry humor. typical British humor

In reply to #12

08/05/2016 7:57 AM

it is just that...... and not to be confused with caustic humour!

In reply to #13

08/05/2016 7:59 AM

Oh, I'm sorry, this is dry humor, Caustic Humor, that's down the hall and to the left.

(lines were lifted and mutilated from a monty python sketch before it was released)

In reply to #14

08/05/2016 8:13 AM

to the left?

That is the Argument Clinic? I think you'll find the Caustic humour is the second door on the right!
And I'm never wrong!

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 457
In reply to #15

08/05/2016 8:15 AM

Yes you are.

In reply to #16

08/05/2016 8:23 AM

No it isn't,.... the parrot is just sleeping.

for the ones who aren't monty python fans....

In reply to #16

08/05/2016 12:01 PM

No.. I'm NOT!

Now, is this a 5 minute or the full 30 minute argument?

In reply to #24

08/05/2016 12:16 PM

I'd take this up with the Ministry of Silly Walks.

In reply to #25

08/05/2016 12:41 PM

In reply to #15

08/05/2016 8:32 AM

a little off topic... Monty Python films from the sitcom were actually saved by Terry Gilliam, "the illustrator and bridge tender" among other things.

I can't recall how or where I hear this, but I believe it was the BBC procedures to destroy the films instead of procuring the costs to store the films and Gilliam's bought it before that happened.

I looked and couldn't find a reference to it.

In reply to #15

08/05/2016 9:03 AM

What is the first door on the right, please, I need to go really bad!

In reply to #12

08/05/2016 9:01 AM

served with a twist of lemon, shaken, not stirred.

In reply to #9

08/05/2016 9:00 AM

Heck, all this time I thought he was signing his post Mildred, as a term of endearment. I suppose Dearie would be a better term to use.

Good Answers: 1140

08/04/2016 1:10 PM

It sounds like you need to check brake assembly for proper operation....or your motor is failing....or any number of other problems...You need a troubleshooter on site....

http://manuals.chudov.com/Kone-Cranes-XN10-Hoist-Manual.pdf

http://www.konecranes.com/equipment/overhead-cranes

http://www.konecranes.com/service/corrective-crane-maintenance

08/04/2016 1:35 PM

I gave most of the responders a good answer point. I think you accidentally uncovered the problem in your second post. You mentioned the tripping is apparently related to time of day (afternoon heat), and it works fine in the mornings when cool.

The heat is causing one of two potential problems:

(1) The rails the trolley runs on are becoming bowed from differential heating of the building on one side (if the tracks are spanning the building). This places extra drag on the wheels, hence the motor loads up and trips. Make sure you can run the crane from one end of building to the other during the coolest hours, also inspect the rails with a laser to look for misalignment/bowing. Konecrane will have to take care of solving that issue for you if that is the problem.

(2) Some part of the brake system is hotter later in the day, and this is interfering with the brake release mechanism. Be sure the crane operator is not "riding the brakes" also. Inspect the brake, and follow OEM manual instructions for any necessary lubrication of parts that have sliding friction. Do not get grease/oil on the actual brake, as that is a safety violation.

(3) If you do not think you can troubleshoot this yourself, bring the OEM representative, and get them to diagnose and solve the problem for you for a fee or on warranty.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 753

08/04/2016 7:07 PM

Some mechanical items to check could be:
1) Lack of lube to trolley wheel bearings.
2) Bearing wear.
3) Debris under the wheels.
4) Corrosion of the surfaces on which the wheels run.
5) Some out-of-adjustment condition resulting in binding.

Good Answers: 25

08/05/2016 2:40 AM

Mr. Rahulvariyath,

Kone Cranes are reliable Cranes. It is something wrong with the site. I presume it is conical rotor motor, Please confirm. If it is working well in morning but stops in afternoon then it may be due heat. Are located in south India where in summer it is very hot?. It may be due to misalignment of L.T rails or the L.T wheels are jamming or jamming of conical rotor I suggest you should contact local Kone office they will guide you properly after visiting the site.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

brich (5); Crabtree (1); dhayanandhan (1); dkwarner (2); James Stewart (6); JohnDG (2); phoenix911 (6); Rahulvariyath (1); rwilliams (2); SolarEagle (1); suresh sharma (2); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Chinese Bus Drives Over Cars   Next in Forum: Corvette EV Breaks Record

Advertisement