CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Mars Terraforming Plan Suggestions   Next in Forum: 24/7 Solar?
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 115

Low Energy Nuclear Transmutations

08/09/2016 4:48 PM

Point of reference to other literature:

http://kb.e-catworld.com/index.php?title=Low_Energy_Nuclear_Transmutations

I find it extremely fascinating that there is now evidence also for carbon arc in light water vapor or submerged light water carbon arc producing also an entire list of elements, and excess heat.

The electrolytic methods are less intense, but still worth further investigation. That is what I fully intend to do soon.

Mitsubishi has been granted a patent on their process to transmute actinides.

Anyone care to chew the fat on this topic?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 980

Re: Low Energy Nuclear Transmutations

08/09/2016 5:15 PM

...."In January 2014 a newly formed company, Industrial Heat LLC, announced that it had acquired rights to Rossi's E-Cat technology.[58][59][60] In April 2016, Rossi filed a lawsuit in the USA against Industrial Heat, alleging that he was not paid an $89 million licensing fee due after a one-year test period of an E-Cat unit. Industrial Heat's comment on the lawsuit was that after three years of effort they were unable to reproduce Rossi's E-Cat test results.[61][62][63][64] In June, 2016 Darden et al filed a Motion to Dismiss:[65] In July, 2016 the judge dismissed some charges (without prejudice), but allowed others to proceed, setting a trial date for June 26, 2017. She also ordered the parties to attempt mediation.[66] (The court records are available directly from PACER [63] or, with a publicly-visible index, at Pacer Monitor[67])."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Catalyzer

In reply to #1

08/10/2016 10:57 AM

As I was aware, some members of a team independent from Rossi, took an E-cat unit (or two) to Switzerland for testing/evaluation, still have not heard the final test results, although, supposedly they were seeing some transmutation of the nickel metal involved to a mixture having traces of an isomeric cobalt isotope, as I recall.

I am thinking the Japanese researchers are running their carbon arcs a very long time, and to see the levels of various metals (that are simply not present initially in spectrographic grade carbon electrodes) they are observing present at the conclusion, is one of two things: (1) patently dishonest, or (2) a clear and conclusive demonstration of elements being made from carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and damned little else other than plasma. The paper I saw mention metal traces at the microgram level (easily observable), and claimed excess heat production, although, mysteriously they reported no COP, heat gain, heat in vs. heat out, etc. I find that just a tad syspicious.

I would not really call this cold fusion, nor would I call it LENR in the usual sense of those experiments. The Japanese researchers coined the acronym LENT (meaning low-energy nuclear transmutation). Biological induced transmutation was mentioned in the same paper, another completely mysterious and poo pooed topic.

Any such experiment that (1) does not do carefully planned out and calibrated calorimetry is just speculation, even if they detect and measure radiation, and (2) at low levels of "conversion" as would be consistent with nuclear transmutations, chemical analysis of the results has to be done under special conditions to totally preclude any form of contamination, including removal of anything from the reactor with a tool of some type made of metal.

Until someone can consistently demonstrate a power output well above the power input (on a steady-state or average power basis), such that there is a net energy excess over time, this arena remains more hope than substance.

The experiments I have planned in the near future will either encourage or discourage me to the fullest extent. Just don't feed the bears.

In reply to #1

08/10/2016 10:59 AM

..."

Business ventures[edit]

Petroldragon[edit]

In 1974, Rossi registered a patent for an incineration system. In 1978, he wrote The Incineration of Waste and River Purification, published in Milan by Tecniche Nuove. He then founded Petroldragon, a company for developing oil from waste, which collapsed in the 1990s amidst allegations of dumping toxic waste,[14] and accusations of tax fraud. Its assets were seized, together with Rossi's personal assets, and Rossi was arrested pending trial. Rossi spent four years in prison working on his legal defense in 56 trials, 5 of which ended in convictions related to tax fraud. Rossi wrote that he was acquitted in the other 51 trials.[15] According to court documents found by journalists at Swedish Radio, Rossi was convicted to prison on three accounts of environmental crime that he was never acquitted of.[16] The government of Lombardy spent over forty million euros to dispose of the 70,000 tonnes of toxic waste that Petroldragon had improperly dumped.[5] According to the mayor of Lacchiarella, Luigi Acerbi, "In the years when [Rossi] was working here, he didn't produce a single drop of oil, as far as we know."[15]

At the conclusion of the trials in 1996, Rossi moved to the US.[17]"

..."

Electricity from waste heat[edit]

In the US Rossi started the consulting firm Leonardo Technologies, Inc. (LTI). He secured a defense contract to evaluate the potential of generating electricity from waste heat by usingthermoelectric generators. Such devices are normally only used for heating or cooling (Peltier effect), because the efficiency for generating electrical power is only a few percent. Rossi suggested that his devices could attain 20% efficiency. Larger modules would be manufactured in Italy.

Rossi sent 27 thermoelectric devices for evaluation to the Engineer Research and Development Center; 19 of these did not produce any electricity at all. The remaining units produced less than 1 watt each, instead of the expected 800–1000 watts.[6]"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Rossi_(entrepreneur)

Three strikes,,,you're out!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathological_science

In reply to #12

08/10/2016 12:28 PM

Yeah, checkered to say the least. He would not have lasted well with Torquemada, the Enquisitor.

At least we still have Galileo, a survivor of the skeptics.

Good Answers: 58

08/09/2016 6:29 PM

that's pretty chewy

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 734

08/09/2016 7:01 PM

The no workey no money clause was probably a good idea.

Good Answers: 1533

08/09/2016 7:15 PM

I was lead to believe that any form of transmutation was illegal in Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, North Carolina and Kansas.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

08/10/2016 10:39 AM

No, you are referring to the shape-shifters out in the desert of Arizona, New Mexico.

Transconfiguration to another beast is illegal in Texas. Leads to confusion while hunting coyotes, and permitting issues.

Transmutation is where a hillbilly screws the wrong light bulb in the right socket.

08/09/2016 7:42 PM

"A pair of Raleigh investors want a judge to squash a lawsuit over a cold fusion technology they claim never worked in the first place.

Italian inventor Andrea Rossi filed an April lawsuit against Raleigh investors Tom Darden and J.T. Vaughn and their companies, investment firm Cherokee Investment Partners and clean-tech startup Industrial Heat, which had licensed Rossi's technology. Rossi, the inventor of a controversial device called the “Energy Catalyzer,” or “E-Cat,” a black box he claims generates a low-energy nuclear reaction (purportedly a cheaper, greener way to generate a huge amount of energy than a coal plant), claims the defendants are in breach of contract and owe him $89 million in licensing fees.

In April, Vaughn said the lawsuit was “without merit” in a prepared statement.

Flash-forward to this month and Darden and Vaughn have responded formally with a motion, asking a judge to dismiss the complaint entirely. In a court filing, they say they met their contractual obligations and that Rossi's device never met its performance milestones. The test that Rossi claims proved the technology didn’t involve a six-cylinder unit, they continue, a requirement of the contract, they allege. Additionally, they argue that amendments to contracts cited in Rossi’s complaint were never signed by all of the parties involved and are therefore “not effective.”

Prior to April, Darden has been vocal about his belief in the concept.

Darden said last year that if the technology could be proven, it would literally save the world from air pollution, as it could remove global dependence on fossil fuels.

But that’s if it works – and it’s a big “if” in the scientific community, as Darden has admitted that many scientists adamantly insist that cold fusion is physically impossible.

In 2012, Darden and his cohorts made a big gamble to prove them wrong, founding Industrial Heat and later participating in its 2013, $11.6 million funder– a mixture of equity and debt. They relocated the startup to an incubator-like facility in Cary and stealthily continued their research.

The team kept relatively quiet about the work actually happening in that laboratory until April. That’s when, following the suit, Vaughn released a statement claiming that Industrial Heat had been unable to substantiate Rossi’s claims about the E-Cat, despite more than three years of research."

Hahahahahha it's so complicated, how could it not work!!!

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/techflash/2016/06/raleigh-startup-responds-to-italian-scientists.html

Well it's just an electric water heater...patent granted

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=%229115913+B1%22&OS=

This is just a patent application with these outrageous claims...not granted

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220110005506%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20110005506&RS=DN/20110005506

Don't forget to visit our giftshop! ...because that's pretty much all we have that's real...and yes we are making a fortune on T-shirts....

In reply to #5

08/09/2016 10:30 PM

My legal team is filing an infringement lawsuit tomorrow.

LynDoor™ Industries feels irreparably harmed and infringed upon by this obviously cheap copy of our Interferminator® free energy machine, show below in a Beta version.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 730
In reply to #6

08/10/2016 12:41 AM

At the moment the TCM Tech AE Research Division has had nothing to say being most of its workforce was killed in an ill-fated HHO GenSet explosion when a unit apparently went into closed loop over unity runaway and exploded due to a faulty discombobulation reintegrater and TCM Tech himself spraying a whole case of starting fluid into the diesel based engine at once.

(It's not like science could have predicted that taking a stock Perkins 540 CI V8 diesel tractor engine to over 16K RPMs in under 2 seconds would lead to catastrophic mechanical failure. )

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 600

08/10/2016 7:11 AM

Dumb and dumber.

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 57

08/10/2016 9:21 AM

Rossi - I thought that name sounded too familiar - here we go with "cold fusion" again.

(sorry Mr. Scott, but you were duped - not going to work on the Enterprise)

Good Answers: 211

08/11/2016 7:50 AM

The granting of a patent does not reveal much about whether the invention functions. Confusion seems to exist about the 'utility' requirement for a patent. While specific practical beneficial utility is required, utility stated in the application is assumed to be valid and the burden to disprove is upon the examiner.

uspto.gov notices on utility

(Take a big breath Lyn, that link should provide all you are looking for)

In reply to #14

08/11/2016 2:30 PM

Finally!

Unfortunately securing a patent now days is akin to launching a fusillade of arrows into the air in the hope that one of them may hit a target of value.

In other words, they are useless unless one has deep pockets with which to defend the one which may be of value.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

08/11/2016 3:12 PM

And is it really patent infringement if someone independently builds their own device or discovery which serves the same purpose as the patented device or discovery, whether or not it largely is embodied within the framework and similar structure as the aforementioned item that is patented?

Suppose the second contruction or discovery was made without any previous knowledge of the patented state-of-the-art. Further suppose the second inventor has made the device or discovery only for his own purposes outside of commerce.

I really think it matters not a whit, as long as nothing is offered for intra-state or inter-state commerce. Furthermore, how to get caught, if not advertized.

In reply to #16

08/11/2016 3:36 PM

It matters to the lawyer$ and patent trolls!

"First to file" is a gold mine for them.

The poor slob like me, just working for wages, who assigns all rights to their employer as a condition of employment, doesn't much care either way.

I made much more money on speeches about my new technology than I ever did on patents. All expense paid trips to Vegas and Chicago and Toronto, plus bonuses from my employer for the speeches. Those were the glory days!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

08/11/2016 4:09 PM

Nice! I suppose Lyn-Dor Industries has some spin-offs that need to be marketed?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (5); JE in Chicago (1); lyn (4); Phys (1); SolarEagle (3); tcmtech (1); Tornado (1); truth is not a compromise (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Mars Terraforming Plan Suggestions   Next in Forum: 24/7 Solar?

Advertisement