CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Mobile Service = Mobile Pricing   Next in Forum: Our Jumpy Note--Purple Music Spectrum--LED !
Close
Close
Close
10 comments

How Can I Overlap 2 Different Signal

08/11/2016 7:23 AM

Hello everybody;

I would like to conduct a validation study for a Heart rate monitor(HRM) with respect to a chest strap which has been already validated with a gold standard ECG. (electro cardio gram).

The thing is; I couldn't figure out how to start measuring the signal with 2 different devices at the same time.

Is there any way to detect 2 different signals(each from one of the HRM) on the same time domain.Thus, I can shift the time and able to overlap the signals.

OR is there any recommendation? If I record them separately how can I overlap them later ?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 576

Re: How Can I Overlap 2 Different Signal

08/11/2016 7:36 AM

What kind of signals come from the HRMs? Please supply some details.

Register to Reply

In reply to #1

08/11/2016 9:54 AM

ECG signals

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

08/11/2016 10:08 AM

It is definitely possible to compare two different signals. The speed of the signals from a HRM are so slow that I doubt you actually need this comparison to be truly at the same time. Faster than a person can compare these signals will probably be good enough.

I see a few difficulties in this concept.

A golden standard from any data analysis is almost never actually found in the real world. The standard is an average or other smoothing of all of the measurements from a set of data. If what deviates these real signals from the average is a purely random source then 68% of the time these deviations will be less than one σ from the average. Where does one put the threshold for detecting a trip condition?

The amount of data storage and processing power needed to achieve this comparison might make the the cost versus benefit ratio too expensive.

Then again, these concerns and questions are precisely what good research is supposed to identify.

Good Answers: 576

08/11/2016 10:26 AM

Is there any way to detect 2 different signals(each from one of the HRM) on the same time domain.

You could use a dual channel digital oscilloscope. If you don't have one available, you can probably rent one.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #4

08/11/2016 4:40 PM

You can purchase a $29 datalogger with four voltage inputs +10/-10 V allowed, and sufficient bandwidth for millisecond work at the highest sampling rates. I do not think you could resolve one microsecond, but your application has no such requirement.

Goopgle it. I have two of them in my backyard shed/workshop, and they work great.

You can set up your own engineering units on them, etc.

You can also do the same with a basic Arduino board, if you know how to oversample and average to get more resolution. At least I think that is how it is done. I know I have seen data with way more digits than what a 10 bit word would allow for.

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #4

08/12/2016 1:15 PM

with digital data acquisition to provide a record.

Test with two identical ecg units in each channel before & after the comparison, to validate the test,

Test with a known test pattern of similar voltage & frequency, maybe sawtooth vs. squarewave, to prove that the differential values produced by the analytical calculation between the two samples is also valid.

Mathematically analyze the test sawtooth vs test squarewave patterns, and comparing those results to the test pattern differential calculated from the numerical data acquired, using the identical calculation to the ecg.

From this you should be able to determine what the accuracy is for your desired resolution / sample period.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1129

08/11/2016 12:23 PM

Good Answers: 1129
In reply to #5

08/11/2016 8:27 PM

This is pretty cool...

http://www.theheartcheck.com/

Don't know how comfortable this would be....but a lot of features including Bluetooth...

https://www.getqardio.com/en/qardiocore-wearable-ecg-ekg-monitor-iphone/

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #7

08/12/2016 10:34 AM

Looks like the competition already beat OP to the market a long time ago?

United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 23

08/12/2016 11:25 AM

Accuracy of the Digital readings of different HRM varies depending on design criteria used by each chosen manufacturers! And there are hundreds of them!

To validate, you may need to be familiar with those manufacturer(s) product line as a starting point... Once familiar, your validation needs may no longer exist?

A/D conversion, sampling, and filtering techniques are examples of their key differences used in their respective products..

You also need familiarity on the physiology of your subject where the signals are goung to come from? Else, you may also cheat by using some readily available patient simulators?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (2); redfred (1); Rixter (2); rwilliams (1); SolarEagle (2); vsar (1); yigitalp (1)

Previous in Forum: Mobile Service = Mobile Pricing   Next in Forum: Our Jumpy Note--Purple Music Spectrum--LED !

Advertisement