CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Project Development   Next in Forum: Screw Conveyor Advice Required
Close
Close
Close
11 comments

Mechanical Engineering Studies Help Required

08/14/2016 6:08 PM

For my Level 6, I have do a technical design report, and the instructions are: " For this written assessment task you are required to write a technical design report in which you present a design problem, describe 2-3 possible solutions (in words and sketches), and then recommend one of these solutions. " As I am new to this field, I don't have much knowledge, I was thinking of doing a vibration on a drive motor of a Pre-Breaker, would that be a design problem? if not what topics would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1598

Re: Mechanical Engineering Studies Help Required

08/14/2016 6:45 PM

So, you have identified a problem, mechanical vibration.

Now, study the causes of the vibration and how you might reduce the vibration transmitted into the machine, and into the surrounding environment.

Loosening of fasteners, mounts, wiring, etc.

Noise is a problem caused by vibration transmitted through the air and even the human body.

Possible solutions: damping vibration with mounts, either rubber or some other material.

Electronic vibration cancellation? Look at active automotive suspensions and motor mounts.

Air bearings?

Register to Reply

In reply to #1

08/14/2016 7:08 PM

I have just been informed that my topic choice is not suitable, would you have any other ideas that could work as a design problem in engineering?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1598
In reply to #2

08/14/2016 7:13 PM

If you can find out what topic choices are acceptable it will reduce the amount of guessing we have to do.

It is up to you to determine an acceptable subject. It is, after all, your assignment.

Register to Reply

In reply to #3

08/14/2016 7:29 PM

I have had a few topic that was declined by my tutor as all my ideas he said is not a design problem, it has to be a design problem within engineering. a previous student had done "design improvements for bench vice handles."

I have thought about the idea that might work, a frame has to build within a room that is flammable, therefore solutions could be either to use bolts to join the frame or put up temporarily fire resistant sheets. however i wouldnt think that, that is a good enough topic. thats why i came here for help

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1141

08/14/2016 9:22 PM

You might follow this guy's lead, and go out into the world and look for problems that could be solved...

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2013/05/50-problems-50-days-part-1-real-empathy-innovation/

Good Answers: 4

08/15/2016 10:27 PM

I hope level 6 in your engineering education is the entry level class. You don't seem to have a clear understanding of how to approach and study an engineering problem to reach a possible solution.

Register to Reply

In reply to #6

08/16/2016 7:15 PM

Considering I am new to the whole engineering field, I did expect some struggle yeah. However, I am still trying my best. So a negative comment isn't what I am looking for. However, thank you for your concern

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 29

08/16/2016 4:12 AM

An example of a design problem:

Problem: Apple iPhones need for frequent recharging.

Potential causes: Battery too small/low power, too much heat generated/too little dissipated, software uses too much power, antenna too small, too many programs running in the background or user error.

Solutions: Source a battery with more power from the same size. More efficient material for the heat sinks. Streamline software. Design a better antenna. Reduce number of programs running in the background. Tutorials to teach people how to make the battery last longer - don't run so many things at one time, close unused aps, etc.

Recommendation: Create a program to monitor battery usage. When too much power is being used, run an analysis to find aps or programs that can be shut down. Run a tutorial for the user to let them know what they can do to lower the power usage.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 341

08/16/2016 10:18 AM

I don't know how serious the design problem presented to you.

Is it a group assignment?

We did one similar in college 30 years ago. I'll share with you what I have learned.

Develop a Fishbone Diagram to address and define the problem.

Then, with something to hang your hat on it will make it easier to mitigate more quantitative solutions and the consequences to the solutions.

In reply to #8

08/16/2016 9:38 PM

I used the Fishbone Diagram and actually made it super easy :)

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 29
In reply to #8

08/16/2016 11:40 PM

Wow, that brings back some memories. Fishbone Diagram! We used these when I was in my MBA program. Like you pointed out, they're great when working in a group.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

annekel (4); Autobroker (2); lyn (2); phoenix911 (1); SolarEagle (1); wayneelowe (1)

Previous in Forum: Project Development   Next in Forum: Screw Conveyor Advice Required

Advertisement