CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Modem/Router IP Address   Next in Forum: Stabilized Arm That Holds a Camera Steady
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Active Contributor

UNO R3

08/17/2016 7:22 AM

Hi, anybody here have any experience with Arduino uno R3 as flight control. I am trying to develop a CB with R3. I don't have any previous experience on this DIY control boards with UNO. Do I need to upgrade to higher Arduino CPU?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 104

Re: UNO R3

08/17/2016 12:00 PM

1) What is a "CB"?

2) Are you trying to fly something for real or develop a flight control for a school project?

3) What are you trying to fly?

4) What country are you in?

5) Do you have experience with the Uno R3 or are you starting from scratch with it?

In reply to #1

08/18/2016 12:00 AM

CB- control board

I am trying to make control broad for quad copter(quad rotter drone),. Yes I have experience with various ardunio and raspberry pi 3 micro controllers. I am trying to develop a low-cost drone that's why I choose r3

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 104
In reply to #1

08/18/2016 7:49 AM

I suspect that raw CPU processing power is not on the top of your list of issues. Your top three needs probably are:

1) Obtaining sensors. If I recall correctly there is a low cost control shield available for what you are doing.

2) Interfacing to everything. If all sensors and controllers are Arduino shields then interfacing to them should be easy. Depending upon your quad's design it may be easy or hard to get in between the batteries and the motors.

3) Getting everything on board, being balanced and keeping the weight down.

A beginner that is flying successfully is probably only making 3 or 4 control adjustments per second. It would seem like that little MEGA328 should be able to out perform the beginner.

Mr. Google has many examples of Arduino RC planes and some quads. A large amount of information is easily available.

If you actually do this project take some pictures and visit us again. There are quite a few prop-heads, fan-heads and wrench turners here. Once it can be seen that you have done some of the work the responses on this forum tend to get much more helpful. We get so many "please do my homework" and "I would become rich if you would design something wonderful for me to sell" questions that newbees with "no technical payload" questions tend to not get much consideration.

A little bit of friendly advise, it is usually best not to spar with a master in his dojo.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152

08/17/2016 1:30 PM

If you mean controls board, where the inputs land, and outputs also land, then maybe you need to search the internet for more open-source code applicable for Aruduino R3.

I know enough to be dangerous, and certainly not up to setting up control surface actuators, or throttle, but if you have ever done radio controls before, you know the local controller encodes everything on RF, presumably as a digital signal, and the on-board receiver has to decode the information and output it to the actuators to each control surface and the throttle. That is all I know, sorry.

Guru

Good Answers: 1587
In reply to #2

08/17/2016 10:29 PM

Maybe he wants to control a scissorlift.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Active Contributor

In reply to #3

08/18/2016 12:14 AM

I dn't know why you sniff and follow my ass- your comments are irrelevant if you don't know about the matter please keep quiet.

with all respect that you deserve

Thanks for nothing

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

Good Answers: 1587
In reply to #5

08/18/2016 12:21 AM

Just speculation based on your other post about scissor lifts.

Bye.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #6

08/18/2016 1:22 AM

guess he told you, huh?

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174

08/19/2016 4:31 PM

Processing power should be fine as long as you don't have a lot of I/O. The UNO R3 ($24.95 at Adafruit) has 14 digital I/O, of which 6 can be used for PWM output control, and 6 analog inputs.

The UNO processor would have trouble handling activity on all of these going on at the same time.

How many lines of I/O are you going to need?

Next model up would be the MEGA 2560 R3 ($45.95 At Adafruit). It has 54 digital I/O, of which 15 can be used for PWM output control, and 16 analog inputs.

This may be sufficient for your needs, but without more specific information on the project, it's impossible to say for sure.

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 68
In reply to #9

08/19/2016 7:53 PM

Yup, just like his scissor lift thread, a very basic open-ended question and then disappears

In reply to #9

12/13/2016 1:40 AM

I completed it using Software serial, I got help with it from arduino community and came to know about Software serial library. I am sorry to update the details here. thanks for your expertise on this matter.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); BruceFlorida (2); dj95401 (1); James Stewart (1); king1 (3); lyn (2); Mikerho (1)

Previous in Forum: Modem/Router IP Address   Next in Forum: Stabilized Arm That Holds a Camera Steady

Advertisement