CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Casting and Forging   Next in Forum: Source for PREN > 27
Close
Close
Close
5 comments

What is the Difference Between an Instrumentation Engineer and a Process Engineer

08/24/2016 12:27 PM

Can a instrumentation engineer work as a process engineer in a process industry?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1102

Re: What is the difference between a instrumentation engineer and a process engineer

08/24/2016 12:52 PM

Why do you keep asking the same question over and over and over???

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/108217/Can-an-Instrumentation-Engineer-Work-as-a-Process-Engineer

In reply to #1

Re: What is the difference between a instrumentation engineer and a process engineer

08/24/2016 1:01 PM

Because I jobless right now as an instrumentation engineer

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416

08/24/2016 1:11 PM

You have asked to different, but related, questions. The difference is focus, a process engineer is concerned with the process, while an instrumentation engineer is concerned with the data generated and control required by the process. This means that the process engineer is higher in the hierarchy than the instrumentation engineer.

Are the two interchangeable? It depends upon their education, experience, and their desire to be a generalist. Some lean companies might want one engineer to be both, others will keep the two separate, with the boundary being where the process needs to be monitored/controlled.

Since both work closely together, the environment provides many opportunities to learn from each other. Use your time wisely and learn as much as you can about both disciplines.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 201

Re: What is the Difference Between an Instrumentation Engineer and a Process Engineer

08/24/2016 11:25 PM

The greater the differences between what your background and knowledge's are the more you have to be able to communicate your skill in the area you want to be hired into. Your must be able to show them via your interview, references, etc. that you, with your slightly different past job title, are the best person to fill the requirements of the position they are trying to fill. If you can fill the job communicate it to them. If needed get someone with the interviewing skill and hiring experience show you how to do this.

The knowledge to do the job and the ability to use that knowledge to benefit the employer is what they want.

Some examples I found through my career were: The best packaging engineer I ever met was previously a packaging mechanic. He never went past the 10th grade but was the best among a whole corral of engineers with armfuls of degrees; 2 My father-in-law had dozens of patents for financially successful items and processes. Made it through high school but beyond that the education he got was the US Navy OJT training he got in Alaska during WW2 as a pipe fitter; 3 A Cost Accountant I once had working for my plant had a PHD in Latin (the Julius Caesar kind). She outshined all others in that job in all our plants.

summary---> communicate, communicate and communicate some more!

Good Luck, Old Salt

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

Re: What is the Difference Between an Instrumentation Engineer and a Process Engineer

08/30/2016 9:34 AM

It all depends on the skill set the individual has. You'll find the best person to make the call is the person interviewing you, really.

Please don't ask the same question several times. Most of them on here are trying to get some sleep.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Crabtree (1); old salt (1); RAMConsult (1); Sam48013 (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Casting and Forging   Next in Forum: Source for PREN > 27

Advertisement