CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Find Your Keys, Car, Dog, Phone and Wallet   Next in Forum: Graphene Thermoacoustic Speakers
Close
Close
Close
40 comments
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 103

Wireless Lie Detector

09/02/2016 11:02 AM

I understand how a lie detector works. Has anyone developed a lie detector that is wireless and reads variations in speech patterns and/or the sound of the human voice when calm and under stress? It would seem to be a great idea to be able to "listen" to a person speaking and be able to detect whether that person is speaking the truth or lying. It would be especially good when listening to politicians. I know there are voice analysis machines that can compare speech patterns, but can it detect lies?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Good Answers: 11

Re: Wireless lie detector

09/02/2016 11:14 AM

I am married to the most advanced model ever created, or that mankind will EVER see!

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 177

09/02/2016 11:18 AM

Why would it be good for politicians? How do you know when a politician is lying? Their lips are moving!

Good Answers: 589
In reply to #2

09/02/2016 7:36 PM

This also works to detect politician lies...

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 29
In reply to #8

09/07/2016 3:34 AM

Now that's funny! Did you know that Dilbert was based on somewhat true experiences at AT&T.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #2

09/03/2016 5:17 PM

Just like a lawyer

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #23

11/16/2017 6:35 AM

Hiring an attorney is just like hiring any other professional: you want to make sure that you have the best person for the job. You may want to talk to friends and family to get their recommendations before making new contacts. However, consumers can find experienced legal help online through original site. Discuss a lawyer's qualifications and experience with them before you hire them to help with such a personal matter.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1141

09/02/2016 11:37 AM

We already have that, it's called the Truth-O-Meter....

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/

Good Answers: 589

09/02/2016 12:40 PM

Useless for politicians. You have to calibrate with known true statements.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 177
In reply to #4

09/03/2016 12:17 AM

Good Answers: 45
In reply to #4

09/03/2016 12:34 AM

Actually, all you need to determine whether a politician is lying is a sound level meter.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 69

Re: Wireless Lie Detector

09/02/2016 4:25 PM

A well trained human.

Good Answers: 771
In reply to #5

09/02/2016 5:15 PM

Yep. The best lie detector there is is your own judgment and gut feelings based on your willingness to actually learn what is true and not aobut whatever topic is at hand.

It's very difficult pose a lie to a wise and informed person and not have it be seen for what it is.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #6

09/02/2016 5:42 PM

That's true, but what I was suggesting is training in detecting "micro-movements" that can indicate a person's tendencies towards true or false statements. I suspect you might be able to train a dog to do the same thing.

Good Answers: 45

09/02/2016 11:45 PM

Three letter government agencies have wished for such a device forever. I was asked to look into it "now that we have better technology" by someone who had been a participant in a meeting of people involved in speech, called by one of those agencies many years prior. When I ran it by some current contacts I had, the message came back "Don't waste your time, it's been tried and it has failed every time. You'll be laughed out of their offices."

Good Answers: 4

09/03/2016 4:28 AM

I have a wireless microphone that detects lies.
You place at the side of a guillotine.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 197

09/03/2016 6:12 AM

If "live" sound it might be useful, but over TV the engineers "play" with the audio frequencies, then it will be unreliable.....

Same for telephone connections....

Anonymous Poster #1

09/03/2016 11:30 AM

Google " voice stress analysis"

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 23

09/03/2016 11:51 AM

Already been invented.

Any child knows it as, " The Mother ".

Any husband knows it as " The Wife ".

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 754

09/03/2016 12:00 PM

No doubt some people claim to have developed such devices, but it does not follow that they actually did so.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

09/03/2016 2:43 PM

I found out that such a device has already been developed. Around half a dozen companies have come out with stress indicating devices. They have been tried out, primarily with the Dept. of Defense with unreliable results. It appears the idea of a wireless stress analysis device, although highly sought after, is not here yet. There will be a lot of privacy issues with such a device. It's use would probably be limited to international "spying", (CIA, MI5).

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #17

09/03/2016 2:53 PM

There are several on the market that consist of a microphone and some software that can be used with any laptop for example. I have read that the accuracy of one was 15%. I think a well practiced liar can beat any lie detector test. They do not hold up well in a court of law.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

09/03/2016 3:41 PM

The problem is when a person lies a lot they learn what gives those lies away and thusly practice until they become so efficient at it that the tiniest giveaways are no longer there.

In fact they have trained themselves to believe their own lies thus giving it the value of truth in their own views.

If I tell you 4 + 4 = 13 I would be lying unless of course all my life I was taught that it was 13 then from my knowledge base I am speaking truthfully. Incorrectly but truthfully just the same and that's one of the tricks to successfully lieing.

That's where the personal effort to keep yourself informed and up to date on topics of concern or interest come into play with my earlier comments about wisdom and knowledge being the best defence against liars (and the ignorant too).

But then I could have just made all this up too!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 158
In reply to #19

09/03/2016 7:34 PM

"In fact they have trained themselves to believe their own lies thus giving it the value of truth in their own views."

So, it definitely will not work on politicians; because they believe their own BS!

In reply to #19

09/07/2016 3:36 AM

Sort of like: "I never inhaled"

or "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #35

09/07/2016 4:26 AM

That second comment I first heard on the US News while on a rather grand 2 week visit to Boston....1999?

That's when Clinton lost all credibility with me as it was SO rude and showed just what an ill mannered and badly brought up "a**e" he really was......

If he had said (lying through his teeth as we all know now, but that's what happens when lawyers get into positions of power, lying is not 2nd nature, its FIRST!) for example, "I did not have sexual relations with Miss Lewinsky", even that would have been many times better, even if it was still a lie.

Politicians lie, some POTUS people lie more than others.....

He simply made everything far worse for himself and his family....

By the way, if I was married to "Hills", I would probably look around for something better to sleep with too!!

Just sayin'.

Just to set the record straight, I have no political vote in the USA, nor do I have a vote in the UK anymore (living abroad over 20 years loses that one!), nor do I have a vote in Germany, except for local government, which I will also lose once the UK "EXITS"......then I do not have a vote for anything anywhere.....

Also, although not a "Hills" fan, the opposition, T.Rump, comes over far worse here in Europe for some reason......

Guru

In reply to #37

09/10/2016 1:06 AM

I feel that the ethics of our country changed during the 8 years he was in office. We all knew that politicians couldn't be trusted, but Reagan made us believe in ourselves and our country. Bush senior was out of touch with us "regular" folks. Then Clinton came out of nowhere and won.

We follow what the president tells us and when it's okay for him to twist words, it's okay for all of us to. See, this is where I have a big problem, because the general question wasn't about having intercourse with her; it was about doing improper things with her. Things a married man shouldn't do.

I feel it would've been better if he came clean and instead of playing with words, he would've admitted to what he did and face the music.

This is what I press so hard for. For us to live by the spirit of the law vs the letter of the law. Unfortunately, our country has become so litigious - even though we don't like lawyers, we do respect them, because they can make our lives miserable. I don't think our founding fathers wanted it this way.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

09/03/2016 4:33 PM

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #20

09/04/2016 11:18 AM

Could not find anything on rosemark silver manufacturing. Was that name also a lie on the Liar's Club show ?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 28

09/03/2016 5:06 PM

This is an interesting paper about human behavior and lying" http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lies_eyes.php .

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 754
In reply to #21

09/03/2016 5:15 PM

What would keep someone from reading the book and gaming that "system"? What about people who are ambidextrous or nearly so, or who use different hands for different tasks?

In reply to #22

09/03/2016 5:31 PM

Well, certain persons, adequately trained can / could game not only this system, but also a lie detector.

In reply to #21

09/03/2016 5:49 PM

I don't use any of those eye movement cues in those fashions when doing those thought tasks.

I use them but not in those correlated manors. Does that make me a liar or is it due to my more ambidextrous nature and related more symmetrical neural structure?

Or because I'm a bit ADHD when it comes to thinking?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #25

09/03/2016 7:17 PM

The description of eye movements on the paper is perhaps a bit complex, but probably based on observations done by experts in large numbers of people. We cannot do this test on ourselves (using a mirror) cause the reactions are biased by other inputs on our brain. What I have observed on my patients is that a person who says a lie will move his eyes towards the non dominant (creative) hemisphere. People who can accurately perform tasks with both limbs are not 100% ambidextrous. In your case: try (or pretend) pointing a gun and you will notice you naturally use one eye, and not the other one). Knowing this, I can say that your creative hemisphere is the opposite to the eye you use for pointing. There are also other involuntary reactions like the dilatation of the pupils (indicating stress) during the "lie".

I also believe being quite a bit ADHD, which allows me to be more creative (I guess) and mainly having the capacity of thinking out of the box; which helps me a lot when dealing with problems or situations in my job others could not solve.

In reply to #26

09/03/2016 8:57 PM

I'm not 100% ambi but I have a fairly well balanced use of one side or the other on different tasks and a few odd quirks that seem to go with it.

I write left handed but can write right handed until I realize i am doing it. Then I can't.

I shoot left handed but as with the writing I can do it just fine right handed until I think about it.

I tie my shoes right handed and wipe my butt right handed. Same with using the soap and shampoo in the shower. Right handed there too.

Using tools I use whichever hand is available or the least injured at the time. Same with reaching for something. Closest hand goes without thought.

I used to be able to read just as proficiently upside down as normal. Haven't tried it in a long time though.

My general eye gaze when thinking, remembering or imagining is forward and down.(autistic gaze I guess)

I have not worn a watch in 30 years but when I did it was on my left.

When putting on a tie I have a 50/50 chance of the knot being either a left or right hand one. It's kind of a which ever side of my brain remembers how to do it first thing.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

09/03/2016 10:56 PM

I'm omnidextrous, I can write with either hand or foot....but seriously, mechanics train themselves to work with either hand over time, so that after many years can pretty much do anything with either hand....

In reply to #29

09/04/2016 3:34 PM

That's largely where my fine tuning came from. I was always predispositioned to use both hands more evenly than most but the years of wrenching and related most definitely fine tuned things to the point of not needing to think about which actions go with what hand any more.

It may be where the odd 'I can do it until I realize I am doing it' thing comes from.

I've always told my bosses the less I think about my job and what I am doing the better I am at it!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

09/07/2016 3:46 AM

Here's something of no value, but interesting to know.

Left handed people wear a watch on either their left or right wrist. If on their right wrist, it's with the dial on the same side as the back of their hand. If on their left wrist, the dial is on the same side as their palm.

Right handed people wear a watch mostly on their left wrist, but a few will wear one on their right. If on their left wrist, the dial is on the same side as the back of their hand. If on their right wrist, the dial is on the same side as their palm.

The reason you may know. A right handed person will naturally go after things with their right hand and there's more chance to damage the dial if it's on the back hand side. The reason they're more likely to wear it on their left vs right is due to tradition and also because it's easier to wind (using their dominant hand to wind). The winding stem is also on the correct side. A left handed person wears a watch on either side equally. It's due to tradition (wearing a watch on the left wrist) and out of function (less chance of damage if on the non-dominant wrist and also it's on the back of the hand - easier to wind (using the dominant hand).

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #26

09/04/2016 3:51 AM

.....and all "bets are off" for psychopaths!!

They are born liars and truth twisters, so a better electronic device for the OP to make is one that can detect both Psychopaths and Sociopaths......instantly!!

Problem solved!!

09/04/2016 8:33 PM

Handwriting is another tool that is used to detect lies, or more accurately the preponderance to lie. Although not admissible in a court trial, it has been used as a tool. I understand handwriting analysis is used in Europe as a routine tool for people who are applying for jobs that require access to classified materials.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 37

09/08/2016 3:40 PM

I am not sure what exists yet, I did hear about the voice stress analysis referred to. I would think with good video it would be possible to measure heart and breath rate. With additional sensors, temperature and pulse oximetry could be possible from a distance as well. As mentioned a trained person can beat a lie detector but I would think it possible to closely match the accuracy of one from a distance with available technology. Since most of this isn't too difficult I have to believe at least some of these techniques are in use. I would think in the information intelligence arena it could be a benefit to have someone connected to a lie detector without them knowing it.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 40 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (3); Anonymous Poster (3); Autobroker (4); AverageJoe (1); colin55 (1); frankd20 (1); HuiVDingess (1); Kilowatt0 (1); Mikerho (2); r&ddoc (3); rcapper (2); Rixter (2); ronseto (2); SolarEagle (3); tcmtech (5); Tom_Consulting (2); tonyhemet (2); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: Find Your Keys, Car, Dog, Phone and Wallet   Next in Forum: Graphene Thermoacoustic Speakers

Advertisement