CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Stabilized Arm That Holds a Camera Steady   Next in Forum: Amplifying 100ps Risetime / Falltime Signal
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Guru
United States - Member - Lifelong New Yorker Popular Science - Biology - Animal Science Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Technical Writer CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Community Manager

Good Answers: 59

Apple Introduces iPhone 7

09/08/2016 11:10 AM

Apple officially unveiled the iPhone 7 yesterday. Here's a summary of what they covered:

• New iPhones, called the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.
  • The new iPhones lack a headphone jack.
  • The new iPhones have a revised home button with force sensitivity, which will vibrate to give feedback.
  • The iPhones are water-resistant.
  • The Plus model of the new iPhone includes a dual-lens camera to take professional-grade photos.
  • A new Apple Watch, called Apple Watch Series 2, which includes GPS.
  • Pokémon Go is available for Apple Watch.
  • An update on how Apple Music is performing.
  • Tweaks to its iWork suite of productivity apps.

The summary is from this New York Times article, which has more in depth coverage, too.

The lack of a headphone jack seems like it could be a problem. Yes, there is a lightning adapter where you can plug in your headphones, but that means you wouldn't be able to use the headphones and charge the device at the same time.

Will you be in line for a new iPhone 7, or will you follow the advice in the interview linked above, and wait for next year's 10 year anniversary edition of the device?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: apple iphone
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 620

Re: Apple Introduces iPhone 7

09/08/2016 11:31 AM

I don't see the lack of a headphone jack as a big deal. For $30 you can get a decent set of bluetooth headphones and listen anytime, and without that annoying cord that always seems to get in the way.

United States - Member - Lifelong New Yorker Popular Science - Biology - Animal Science Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Technical Writer CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Community Manager

Good Answers: 59
In reply to #1

09/08/2016 12:22 PM

Have you seen Apple's new AirPod wireless headphones?

I prefer wired headphones because they are one less thing I have to charge.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 4

09/08/2016 4:31 PM

I usually wait to upgrade with every other release. I'm not thrilled about losing the 3.5 mm headphone jack. Wireless headphones sound interesting, but I agree it seems like it will be a nuisance to have to charge them all the time. I also like to plug the phone into speakers from time to time, but I guess they do provide an adapter from lightning to 3.5 mm.

The waterproof feature seams cool, as I often use the phone as a GPS app when I'm out golfing.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

09/08/2016 5:06 PM

Yawn....

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #4

09/09/2016 12:13 AM

So far, the stock price agrees with you.

As a normally enthusiastic Apple supporter, I was disappointed; I haven't yet seen anything to get excited about from this week's announcements. I'll stick with my 6S+ for a while.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700

09/09/2016 5:01 AM

They work under water? Damn!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dkwarner (1); PWSlack (1); SavvyExacta (1); SolarEagle (1); terrapin (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Stabilized Arm That Holds a Camera Steady   Next in Forum: Amplifying 100ps Risetime / Falltime Signal

Advertisement