Close
Close
51 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 12

CPU Off the Clock

09/18/2016 12:12 AM

Hi all

In the last few days my CPU usage has risen, sometimes 100% with nothing running, as in the picture and consequently every thing has slowed to a crawl.

I have a PC with 4MB of Ram on Win 7, my hard disk (NTFS) has 30% available. I have Avast running with no errors and have run Malwarebytes with no errors. My local computer shop ran a scan of the HD with no errors and their solution was to sell me a new computer, bless them!

Has anyone had and fixed this problem.

Tony

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69

Re: CPU off the clock

09/18/2016 12:19 AM

Have you tried register clean up, and register defragment. Just a suggestion?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 92

09/18/2016 12:54 AM

Switch of network. See if CPU slows down.

Check task list and services and what is using the CPU.

Restart in safe mode and see if same.

Restart the PC from time to time is a good thing to do anyway.

Run a memory check.

Any hard ware changes?

Any upgrades before this happend?

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 235

09/18/2016 1:03 AM

It may be something in the background that you can find if you hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and start Windows Task Manager. Check both the Applications tab as well as the Processes Tab. Failing that, you can run MSCONFIG.EXE and check your startup. You can disable the automatic startup of certain programs using that tool. You will find all kinds of crap that gets loaded every time you start, whether you use the program or not. Printer manufacturers are notorious for loading lots of junk you usually don't need.

Good luck with your quest.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 575
In reply to #3

09/18/2016 2:56 PM

That's what I was thinking. Good answer.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174

09/18/2016 2:44 AM

What kind of temperatures are you running in your PC?

Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #4

09/20/2016 11:45 AM

Often recommended Belarc Advisor doesn't provide temperatures, but does give lots of other interesting stuff. I have discovered that Speccy does give temperatures, plus lots of other stuff. I still have to see if it gives fan speeds, since a sluggish fan may have caused a motherboard failure, and thus a new computer.

Good Answers: 1

09/18/2016 3:23 AM

Right click on the clock in the lower right corner of the screen and change the time; set the time three or four minutes ahead.

Back up your files then use system restore to restore the operating system to a time before the anomaly occurred.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

09/18/2016 10:36 AM

It sounds like the upgrades have finally caught up to the speed limit of your system....If your system is over 5 years old, I'm not surprised....

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152

Re: CPU Off the Clock

09/19/2016 1:42 PM

In addition to the other answers provided, make sure the clock in the computer is at the correct time, as I have noticed this causing some issues in the past.

Also try resetting any internet modem, and/or router connection in your LAN.

In reply to #8

09/19/2016 2:23 PM

When experiencing an anomaly as such setting the time ahead 3-4 minutes can prevent executables from launching. Of course afterwards you want to have the correct time so Microsoft updates occurr.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196

09/19/2016 2:16 PM

Your problem is running Win 7 with only 4MB of RAM (according to you at least!!)

I suspect you meant 4GB.

Try adding a second 4GB, windows "loves" RAM!!

Defrag your disk and your regi!

I found this:-

Here are some tips to help you optimize Windows 7 for faster performance.

1. Try the Performance troubleshooter.
  2. Delete programs you never use.
  3. Limit how many programs run at startup.
  4. Clean up your hard disk.
  5. Run fewer programs at the same time.
  6. Turn off visual effects.
  7. Restart regularly.
  8. Change the size of virtual memory.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15055/windows-7-optimize-windows-better-performance

Best of luck as well

In reply to #9

09/19/2016 2:26 PM

Actually with 8gb ram you're probably slowing the system by using virtual memory because RAM is far faster.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #11

09/19/2016 3:13 PM

You wrote:-

Actually with 8gb ram you're probably slowing the system by using virtual memory because RAM is far faster.

??? I don't understand......???

In reply to #12

09/19/2016 3:41 PM

Virtual memory uses space on the hard drive where the read/write speeds are significantly slower than today's RAM chips. Not so long ago when the average RAM value was in MB virtual memory was indispensable but now having 8gb+ RAM one may realize a performance increase if using only one enough virtual memory to allow System Restore to function.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

09/20/2016 12:01 AM

My memory (pun intended) of the way it works is that virtual memory is ONLY used when needed, that is when REAL memory is "full".

Not having enough RAM will cause virtual to be used too early and it is far slower than real memory.

Having twice the REAL memory as I suggested, will usually give any windows a boost, up to a max of 32Gb with the later windows versions.

I have never seen how adding RAM, could possibly slow a windows machine down as you appear to suggest it does.

My take is that you are misunderstanding the way virtual and real memory work together in a properly set up windows PC......

In reply to #15

09/20/2016 12:15 AM

Err... I was saying that RAM is faster and preferred, but Windows will use the slower virtual memory if it's allocated and that's a choice. I don't know how you mixed that up

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

09/20/2016 6:29 AM

Dear jdsighter you said:-

"Actually with 8gb ram you're probably slowing the system by using virtual memory because RAM is far faster."

You are still misunderstanding the concept in important details!! I cannot see how anyone could in any way "force" windows to use virtual usage, when free RAM is still available. Perhaps you can demonstrate?

Err... I was saying that RAM is faster and preferred, but Windows will use the slower virtual memory if it's allocated and that's a choice. I don't know how you mixed that up"

Let me categorically state that windows will NOT use slower virtual memory if RAM is not "full", no matter how much of it is allocated.

Therefore I am not mixing anything up, you are, as you still have it wrong (I have underlined the error part of your comment) and I wrote it correctly for you in my last post!! Did you not read it?

Let me state it clearly for you once again!:-

WINDOWS "PREFERS" RAM AND USES IT PRIMARILY.

VIRTUAL MEMORY IS THERE AS A LAST RESORT ONLY.

TO PUT IT ANOTHER WAY, VIRTUAL MEMORY IS ONLY USED WHEN REAL MEMORY, (RAM), IS FULL!

Not before as you appear to think!!!!

In a correctly "RAM'ed" PC, VIRTUAL will be set by Windows, but it should as good as never NEED to be used!! It's simply far too slow.......Its years since I last had to adjust Virtual myself.....many years!

Possibly, if you have an SSD as your system disk instead of hard disk, the time loss with Virtual might be less obvious then, though I have never tried it myself. I have no SSD.

I looked on Google for you and found this, it says it exactly as I said it before and is vitally different to your thoughts:-

What is the difference between virtual and physical memory?

Physical and Virtual memory are two different things. Virtual memory allows you to use some of your hard drive as though it were RAM. But your hard drive is up to 100 times slower than REAL RAM.

When you upgrade (increasing the size of) your RAM, you can reduce or eliminate the use of virtual memory.

Upgrading (increasing the size of) RAM makes more (physical) memory available to complete tasks previously handled slowly by virtual memory.

Furthermore, you can upgrade RAM and you have no need/requirement to redefine your Virtual memory, as what worked before will still work. I have never "reduced" the size of the virtual, just because I upgraded the RAM. I am assuming that your HD is not almost full of course.....then it could be a problem!!

Got it now?????

I personally feel that it should be completely obvious that a good OS would be designed to AUTOMATICALLY use the faster memory first and foremost!! Its a given for me!!

By the way, there is certain software around that continually watches and "cleans up" RAM, freeing more of it up even faster than windows does, thereby reducing the need for the OS to use virtual memory...this really speeds up a PC, but as I said before, more real memory is still the better option.

If you still don't "get it", I am at a loss as to how to explain it again so that you can understand it better......sorry for that.....

In reply to #21

09/20/2016 8:33 AM

With all due respect Andy one may be both right and wrong. The discussion is of Windows 7 presumably a 32 bit version. Please refer to the article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2160852

Modern operating systems such as Windows, applications and many system processes always reference memory by using virtual memory addresses. Virtual memory addresses are automatically translated to real (RAM) addresses by the hardware. Only core parts of the operating system kernel bypass this address translation and use real memory addresses directly.
Virtual memory is always being used, even when the memory that is required by all running processes does not exceed the volume of RAM that is installed on the system.

Processes and address spaces

All processes (for example, application executables) that are running under 32-bit versions of Windows are assigned virtual memory addresses (a virtual address space), ranging from 0 to 4,294,967,295 (2*32-1 = 4 GB), regardless of how much RAM is actually installed on the computer.

Andy I have configurations including and SSD used for the system drive and the advantages are stellar.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

09/21/2016 7:47 AM

Virtual addressing is used for all memory, so that each program can have its own bit of (hopefully main) memory, starting (it thinks!) at 0000h for example, and therefore not have to use absolute addressing, which might/will change each time the program is loaded!!!

The program is generally loaded from magnetic storage in most PCs nowadays.

From an explanation on the web:-

In a computer that incorporates memory management, the virtual address differs from the physical address, which is the data location on an address bus that corresponds to a particular cell of primary storage or to a particular register in a memory-mapped I/O (input/output) device.

In a computer with both physical and virtual memory, a so-called MMU (memory management unit) coordinates and controls all of the memory resources, assigning portions called blocks to various running programs to optimize system performance. By translating between virtual addresses and physical addresses, the MMU allows every running process to "think" that it has all the primary storage to itself.

But, this does not mean that any programs will ever "run" in virtual memory, as a well set up PC (I have mentioned this before!) should have enough RAM to prevent that happening!!

Also, I have never had an MMU that I could directly "change" or configure in any way, shape or form....its set in firmware....

Taken from here:-

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/virtual-address

The owner/user of a PC can basically only affect two areas of the memory:-

1) By buying as much memory (RAM) as possible and of the best speed that the PC can use. (Buying faster memory than it can use does not get anything running faster, its just more costly...)

2) Defining the maximum amount of disk storage that can be used as virtual memory when needed,, e.g. not RAM or main memory. Though I (and most other users!) tend to let the OS decide for itself what it needs, so its actually "transparent" to most of us.....And as I have said before, hopefully you have enough RAM, so that virtual will not be needed. But the speed difference between the two will certainly be noticed if Virtual ever gets used, the CPU will get "Bogged down!"

If you have some sort of indication on your PC of disk accessing, less often nowadays, (LED or even a software application), this will show clearly continual accessing if that happens.

Accessing virtual memory for main addressing decodes costs little time and is used often I believe, but SSDs can dramatically improve that if ever needed.

But do remember that if the PC starts shifting large quantities of data in and out of virtual, that should be avoided if possible! Thats really slow!!

If you still have questions, please simply ask.

In reply to #36

09/21/2016 9:37 AM

Ha! Just go on at user level understanding and ignore Microsoft

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #9

09/20/2016 11:52 AM

Registry: I have had several advisors tell me to never mess with the registry unless you know what you are doing. Apparently you can screw up the computer easily, plus the time gains are tiny.

#3: Another person told our user's group that you can safely disable ALL startup programs EXCEPT the virus scanner. I have been doing that, and it hasn't caused distress. But recheck now and then, because some things add themselves back in to the startup list.

In reply to #30

09/20/2016 4:07 PM

Windows has an integral Registry Scanner that an administrator can run by opening a cmd prompt and typing [sfc /scannow] without the brackets. Depending on your system it may take some time and it may ask you to insert the Windows operating system installation disc inorder to correct the corruption.

Register to Reply
Power-User

09/19/2016 8:15 PM

Thank you all for your insightful replies. Since I wrote that, I stopped the ones shown and fixed the problem, I have yet to introduce each and identify the culprit.

I did mean GB, Andy, sorry for that slip. The PC is old but I was running 3D CAD assemblies with no problems and so was putting off the day for replacement. I note the night it happened, a Windows update occurred. I find now that restore is not available and the Win 7 disk is not recognising the HD, so unfortunately time to rebuild, another week of my life lost.

Perhaps time to replace it and get new one. Tony

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #14

09/20/2016 6:02 AM

"....so unfortunately time to rebuild, another week of my life lost.

Perhaps time to replace it and get new one. Tony"

New computer or new life Tony ???

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #14

09/20/2016 10:49 AM

I went to download a measly 1.4 GB game to my laptop last night, and I learned that this 1 year old laptop running Windoze 10, 64 bit, had an almost full 27 GB disk. WTF?

No movies, no picture albums, only a few emails, and a sprinkling of spreadsheets.

In reply to #25

09/20/2016 11:12 AM

Sounds like you have an Internet device as 27GB is a little greater than the minimum requirement, Windows 10 / 32 bit needs 16 GB, another 1GB - 4Gb for Internet security and then there's JAVA and Adobe products

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #25

09/20/2016 11:35 AM

Simple cure back up files and recover the system

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

09/20/2016 12:29 PM

Thanks. It tells me I bought a cheap white elephant. I really hate laptops, and I hate this one in particular. I only got it to hook up to a datalogger, really. Then I stopped using my DATAQ devices in favor of this latest Arduino fad that I am totally not sold on.

It has taken weeks just to get four/four digital temperature probes recording.

In reply to #31

09/20/2016 4:53 PM

Some external memory can avert another crash

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #35

09/21/2016 9:12 AM

What do you recommend? Thumb drive? IHNI

In reply to #14

10/05/2016 9:49 PM

Again thank you all for the material provided.

My local PC man made me an offer I couldn't refuse, an ex gamer's machine with 16GB of Ram instead of 4GB, I've finally found all those program keys and 2 weeks later I'm doing something productive again. I'll reformat the old HD and keep a spare PC.

Tony

In reply to #40

10/05/2016 9:55 PM

Good news, and next time instead of searching for the program keys just a message to Microsoft @ technet and they'll publish them back to you

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #40

10/23/2016 10:55 PM

Following up on my previous reply.

I have an old HP laptop which all of sudden had the same problem and I have fixed it by following this. It's long, but its fairly current (29/06/16 last entry).

As I mentioned before, I've run Malwarebytes and Avast and they pick up nothing. It was suggested on the web that Firefox was suspect and could lead to a greedy SVHost being installed so I've swapped it for Chrome on both computers.

Again thanks for all your help Tony

In reply to #42

10/24/2016 8:39 AM

I've heard that for security chrome doesn't do a good job.

In reply to #43

10/24/2016 9:48 AM

I'm open to suggestions on a browser.

Tony

In reply to #44

10/24/2016 11:50 AM

I use Firefox, which has been working fine for me. Some people don't like Internet Explorer.

Good Answers: 10

09/20/2016 12:16 AM

If you want to get the bugs out of your system, download and run Combofix from Bleepingcomputers. (won't run on Win 10) Be patient and let it run after you turn off your antivirus. You'll know it's done when it asks you to wait while it writes a report. Also on their page are links to other programs to clean out the junk.

Adwcleaner is one we always run and the others shown will also clean out other things like root kits.

If you don't have a registry cleaner try Glary, it's has a free version. Don't enable the Malware Hunter when you are installing it. Run the 1 click maintenance and then click Advanced Tools; then Optimize and Improve; then disk defrag.

Your antivirus and Malwarebytes are good but sometimes they need some help from the ones listed above. Your machine should run a lot smoother assuming I'm right and you have some adware and other junk causing you problems.

Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 22

09/20/2016 12:18 AM

Hi Tonymech,

check this link

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=system+idle+process+high+cpu&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gws_rd=cr&ei=nrfgV8SEGsW60AST4YXIBg

Also look through your program manager and check for programs with high CPU usage.

Good Answers: 25

09/20/2016 12:38 AM

Check your browser; Firefox is notorious for "memory leaks"! Stop the program ("End process") using Windows Task Manager; also look for a "svchost" process using a lot of resources and end that, too.

Restart Firefox and restore tabs. You will probably have to do this every day or so, but it really speeds things up...for a while.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #19

09/20/2016 6:29 AM

The Windows update service, 'wuauserv' can run amuck and can consume virtually all resources. It especially likes to do that right after an auto update. In the task manager go services find that service and stop it. If that improves performance, turn off auto run. MS says they have fixes for it but I've had several cases where it doesn't help. Be prepared to keep the task manager open and repeat the process often, or get a new PC.

Guru

Good Answers: 153

09/20/2016 6:31 AM

I recommend downloading CCLEANER.

http://www.piriform.com/download

After installing,select all of the options in the left hand tool bar except "saved Passwords" Then run it.

It may require several runs to get to" zero bytes removed". This may take a while if it has never been run before.

After this step completes,go to next step:

There are several options on the left panel.

Select Registry.

Then choose all of the options on the menu.

Then select "SCAN FOR ISSUES".

After it finds invalid registry entries or other problems,select "All" .

Then "Fix selected issues"

It will ask if you wish to save before deleting the entries.Select "Save".

When the log file appears,select "OK"

It will then begin deleting the invalid entries.

Repeat the steps till you get "No issues found."

Now go to TOOLS option in the sidebar menu.

Here you will find various useful options,such as "STARTUP",which will allow you to edit your startup programs,Disk Analyzer,Drive Wiper,Duplicate Folder, and Uninstall.

I have used this free program for many years,throughout all versions of windows,and it has proven very useful.

An upgrade to Pro is available,and I did upgrade,but functionally not much difference.

I felt it had been so useful I considered it worthy of a contribution, so I keep mine updated to the PRO version.

Being the paranoid personality that I am, I always run the CCleaner after every

on line visit,and before shutting down for the night.

Disconnect from the net before running for best results.

Amazing how much crap gets stored after every visit,even just to Google,without a search (This program used to be called"CrapCleaner"

This may prove a useful tool to other members of the forum as well.

You're welcome.

"A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child." “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou.
Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 80

09/20/2016 11:04 AM

Classic signs of a virus. Get a different virus checker than you have and run it. I would run Ccleaner first to get useless files out of there. That alone may make a difference.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 10

09/20/2016 3:35 PM

We updated 10 laptops which were 4 months old to the Win 10 anniversary edition. It wouldn't let us do it until we did the following because the solid state drives were only 30GB approx. 1st we ran disk cleanup, then we installed Win Anniversary updates from flash drives, because the drives wouldn't swallow the huge updates by themselves, and then we ran disk cleanup again. The old Win 10 before the Anniversary update was about 10GB and the update was about 10GB. My thoughts are that Microsoft had to make a lot of major changes so they basically rewrote the system. Disk cleanup found GB's of downloads for updates to the Win 10 OS which were plugging up the small solid state drives. We are keeping most of our business customers on Win 7. (2 small cities, several businesses with about 150 employees each, and lots of Drs, lawyers, and CPA's)

In reply to #32

09/20/2016 3:45 PM

Another whole series of reasons to hate Microsoft with the white hot fire of a dwarf star.

Why in HEdoublehockeysticks is it even necessary for their "apps" to take up the entire machine? And they don't have the common decency to go back and clean up after themselves.

In reply to #33

11/14/2017 5:29 AM

In the beginning,there was very tight low level code.

Every step was labor intensive,and so instructions were used very efficiently,as was memory.

Memory was very limited,so it also had to be used efficiently.

Programs were compact and efficient.

Now,most of the low level work is packaged in modules,and memory and Hard Drive space is virtually unlimited.

Nature hates a vacuum,and programmers now hate any empty drive space or unused memory.

Anyone can turn around a Semi with a 40 foot trailer if you give them a square mile in which to do it.

But to do it on a dead end street requires skill.

Same with modern programmers.

The programs can be loosey-goosey as long as they get it to market quickly..they will work out the bugs as they pop up.

And I realize they are under pressure to get it-out-the door ASAP,but the end result is bulky,buggy software that consumers will have to live with I guess.

10/04/2016 6:50 PM

I had this issue few months ago. I used the Task Manager and Resource Monitor to see what service/program was utilizing the most CPU. Once I found that, a simple Google search gave me an idea on how to stop the service/program.

Register to Reply
Power-User

10/24/2016 3:50 PM

Chrome keeps updated and is plenty secure, FF has a hole they don't close because certain control equipment needs that functionality.

In general it's the method of use that has greater effect upon browser security and those with limited tracking should afford one peaceful usage; Startpage, dogpile, even scholar google.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #46

10/24/2016 5:53 PM

Guess opinions on browsers are sorta like opinions on penetrants! Everyone has their favorite; and it is, therefore, the best.

Participant

06/15/2017 4:50 AM

After trying many solution I followed this guide: http://errorcodespro.com/fix-svchost-exe-netsvcs-high-cpu-memory-usage/ and successfully resolved the issue.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Power-User

In reply to #48

06/15/2017 10:03 AM

Thank you for that Christine.

Tony

11/14/2017 4:32 AM

After trying many solutions I followed this guide: http://www.onlyerrors.com/err_spdy_protocol_error.html and successfully resolved the issue.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 51 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (5); Brave Sir Robin (1); christinegrant98 (1); Ed Watts (1); EZStreet (1); garth (1); HiTekRedNek (1); horace40 (1); IdeaSmith (1); James Stewart (5); jdretired (1); jdsighter (13); Josam (1); Lehman57 (5); Mikerho (1); Randyl (2); Rixter (1); Shayne (1); SolarEagle (1); StandardsGuy (1); Tonymech (5); Zeus (1)

Previous in Forum: 800XA Software   Next in Forum: System Crash in W7 x86

Advertisement