CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: CPU Off the Clock   Next in Forum: How to Write a Matlab Code for Discrete Wavelet Transform?
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Commentator

System Crash in W7 x86

09/21/2016 4:02 PM

Dear Sirs: I have this problem from some days till now, when I attempt to open (or save) a file (either from Open Office, Firefox or any application) the PC restart (if I uncheck the posibility of restart, the PC freezes, not a solution). Only in this condition. It does not happen in "safe mode", but of course I have to much limitations in this mode. My SO is W7 x86, SP1.

I had run Avira with no warning at all, and also Ccleaner.

So my question: is always the same W7 program that runs when and application attempt to open (or save) a file? In the affirmative, is safe to say that this program would be "guilty".

Any suggestions to fix the bug? I thank you in advance.

Gabriel, from Buenos Aires, Argentina

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

Re: System Crash in W7 x86

09/21/2016 4:23 PM

Have to tried to restore from a previous date? Have you tried updating your programs? Have you checked memory space for file format you are trying to save?

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152

09/21/2016 4:27 PM

Mebbe so, the CIA is watching Mr. Gabriel? Maybe disk is full? How about de-fragmentation of your hard drive? You can get Windows Free Registry Repair for free, you know. Have you tried registry fix?

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174

09/21/2016 11:26 PM

There is a possibility that your RAM could be at fault.

Read this and see if the explanation fits your situation.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #3

09/22/2016 9:04 AM

This RAM is a definite problem:

In reply to #4

09/22/2016 10:12 AM

Dear all: previous to send the post I analize the RAM, was OK, I run the antivirus (Avira, paid), I give enough space for virtual memory. Now I am defragging. I dont think that this stuff would be a reason for the crash, but just in case...

Any other idea, please.

Regards.

Gabriel

Good Answers: 1125
In reply to #5

09/22/2016 11:52 AM

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #5

09/22/2016 1:29 PM

The hardware/system level components accessed in safe mode to write to the disk are the same as normal mode. If you can write & retrieve while in safe mode, though it certainly appears to be corrupt low level operating system code, (boot sector fails will also trip a restart endless loop), it must be something in a higher level, something that should be loaded after the system boots up.

You can do a selective start looking in file, RUN new task msconfig, look in the Startup and Services groups, and pull them out until it starts working as it does in Safe Mode.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416

09/23/2016 4:37 PM

What's missing is the amount of RAM, processor type/speed, and how large your cache is. Unfortunately as the older applications are upgraded, they tend to be written to the current OS, which in turn leads to bloat-ware that can easily become memory hogs.

Your machine also has a setting for the size of the disk cache that handles the memory that gets swapped out as your machine multitasks. If there's a lot of caching going on, it's possible for the machine to freeze because it can't unload the memory because the disk cache is too small (or too slow). The end result is a stalled system. You can try making the disc cache bigger and/or adding more RAM to your system.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Gabriel (1); James Stewart (2); Mikerho (1); RAMConsult (1); rwilliams (1); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: CPU Off the Clock   Next in Forum: How to Write a Matlab Code for Discrete Wavelet Transform?

Advertisement