CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: How to Open Manholes on a Ball Mill dia 6m x 9 m length   Next in Forum: Fuel Tank
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Participant

Pressure Vessel

09/25/2016 3:30 AM

Dear sir,

Can ASME sec VIII div. allow to manufacturer to use non ASME materials for non pressure parts to attached it to pressure parts in pressure vessels ?

Regards

Prasad

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 734

Re: Related to Pressure vessel

09/25/2016 3:43 AM

I'm pretty sure the answer is Yes, such as for things like lifting lugs, support legs or stands, etc. I think the p-groups may need to be compatible for proper welding.

My experience is older, however, and thus might not be up-to-date.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 301
In reply to #1

09/26/2016 9:34 AM

Really,...

It's been a while for me also and it was different from what you state. I was under the understanding that any attachedment to ASME material had to be certified.

Especially lifting lugs, if the lugs fails such as tear away, it may also affect the base metal.

ASME even have calcs for lifting lugs.

But hey, that's what our AI inspector told me, and he was Hartford Boiler Insurance..

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #4

09/27/2016 2:58 AM

I think there are differences between pressure-containing parts of a vessel and auxiliary items such as legs, saddles, skirts, etc. Same caveat as before: I might not be up to date. I do not have easy access to a Code copy, so I can't easily check.

In reply to #1

09/26/2016 9:50 AM

Dear sir,

Thanks for reply.

I only wants to know, is it allow as per ASME Section VIII Div I?

Thanks

Prasad

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

09/25/2016 7:59 AM

Why aren't you discussing the details with your insurance inspector?

Good Answers: 20

Re: Pressure Vessel

09/26/2016 1:25 AM

Sounds like an interest before an installation or a problem to be resolved after a malfunction on the install.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 114

09/26/2016 1:20 PM

Perhaps it can be installed, but it must not be installed. It is a matter of semantics, and that is what the code should must delineate.

It might be illegal within the definitions of the code, for example to attach a permanent adhesive label on a vessel, if the adhesives contaminate the base material, thus weakening it to pressure-temperature.

09/30/2016 4:26 AM

Dear all sirs, Request all to told me or guid me in reference to the code. Pls do't divert from the topics. Pls guide me. It is such a big site and no one providing me a genuine answer with reference to the code. Regards Prasad Rode

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 28

10/03/2016 3:56 AM

ASME VIII div.1 UG4 (d):

"(d) Materials others than those allowed by this division may not be used, unless data thereon are submitted to and approved by the Boiler and pressure Vessels committee in accordance with Appendix 5 in section II part D"

Regards WP

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

10/03/2016 7:11 AM

In that case, an earlier reply of mine might be mistaken. However, does your comment distinguish between pressure-containing parts and non-pressure-containing parts?

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #10

10/03/2016 9:02 AM

You are right, ASME VIII distinguishes between pressure parts and parts not under pressure. Extract of the code Added to this comment:

"UG-4 GENERAL

(a) Material subject to stress due to pressure shall con- form to one of the specifications given in Section II, Part D, Subpart 1, Tables 1A, 1B, and 3, including all applicable notes in the tables, and shall be limited to those that are permitted in the applicable Part of Subsection C, except as otherwise permitted in UG-9, UG-10, UG-11, UG-15, Part UCS, Part UIG, and the Mandatory Appendices. Mate- rial may be identified as meeting more than one material specification and /or grade provided the material meets all requirements of the identified material specification(s) and /or grade(s) [see UG-23(a)].

(b) Material for nonpressure parts, such as skirts, sup- ports, baffles, lugs, clips, and extended heat transfer sur- faces, need not conform to the specifications for the material to which they are attached or to a material specifi- cation permitted in this Division, but if attached to the vessel by welding shall be of weldable quality [see UW-5(b)]. The allowable stress values for material not identified in accordance with UG-93 shall not exceed 80% of the maximum allowable stress value permitted for simi- lar material in Subsection C.

(c) Material covered by specifications in Section II is not restricted as to the method of production unless so stated in the specification, and so long as the product com- plies with the requirements of the specification. (See UG-85.)

(d) Materials other than those allowed by this Division may not be used, unless data thereon are submitted to and approved by the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Committee in accordance with Appendix 5 in Section II, Part D."

WP

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 301
In reply to #9

10/03/2016 7:17 AM

there you have it... so far,.... now for Appendix 5, Section II, Part D.

Having set up and ASME shop to carry the 'U', 'PP' and 'R'. I have found what ASME primary job is, is traceability, as well as design procedures.

As far as Tornado's response, if the material is unknown, unspecified, untraceable or not approved even though it will not be involved where direct pressure or stress, If it connects to ASME material that is in any way participates in stress or pressure, and its welded, it has then contaminated the base material and is now compromised.

This may seem quite picky. But again, my knowledge is out dated. Your AI should know. And since it not his/her responsibility, that will side with safety.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Crabtree (1); James Stewart (1); phoenix911 (2); purode333 (2); tonyhemet (1); Tornado (3); Whitephone (2)

Previous in Forum: How to Open Manholes on a Ball Mill dia 6m x 9 m length   Next in Forum: Fuel Tank

Advertisement