CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Mastercam2017 Complete Video Tutorial:   Next in Forum: Screws
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

Hydraulic System for Biomass Briquetting Machine

10/01/2016 3:12 AM

Dear All,

I have to make biomass briquetting machine . I have already drafted CAD design. But I face the difficult about the hydraluic system . I am not familar with hydraulic system. I request expert person in hydraluic technology to advice which type of hydraluic cylinder and hydraulic power unit is suitable in my design.Please answer and fill in my attached file. I attach some photo and link for your reference.

Briquette diameter is 3-4 inches, power is 8 to 12 KW.

Thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 749

Re: hydraluic system for biomass briquetting machine

10/01/2016 3:17 AM

Duplicate thread alert. (And still unreadable.)

Good Answers: 1587

10/01/2016 4:48 AM

Contact hydraulic equipment suppliers and ask them to design your machine for you.

You'll need to supply them much more detailed information than you have given the forum.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Participant

In reply to #2

10/01/2016 5:32 AM

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your information

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 336

10/01/2016 9:56 AM

You're not done yet, what is your output or cycle time.

Alot of the information you require is derived from experience. Investigate more on your own, you may bring a fresh prospective to briquetting.

also search here on CR4, briquetting has been brought up and discussed before here.

Guru

Good Answers: 153

Re: Hydraluic System for Biomass Briquetting Machine

10/02/2016 7:55 AM

Hydraulic is very simple:

A basic rule of hydraulics:

Force is equal to pressure X area.

1 psi acting on a cylinder with one square inch will give 1 pound of force,and if you pump 1 cubic inch of volume into the cylinder at this pressure,the cylinder will move one inch.

The speed of the movement will depend on the volume of fluid moved per minute.

If you can pump 10 cubic inches per minute into the cylinder,the cylinder will move 10 inches in 1 minute.

If 1 psi is applied to 10000 square inches,you can move 10,000 pounds,and the speed will depend on the volume capacity of the pump.

Using the 10 cubic inch per minute example,it will take 1000 minutes to move the load 1 inch.

Now you have the basics,find the force require,the area to which the force will be applied,the rate that you need to move the opposing force.

From this you can choose a cylinder of proper size to move the load with the applied pressure.

Suppose you wish to compress a brick of 10 square inches to a pressure of 10,000 psi.

A normal range for a hydraulic pump is roughly 3000 psi.

You will need a cylinder at least 3.333 times as large,in square inches,as your load area.

So you will need a cylinder with at least 3 square inches diameter,roughly, to get that much force,using 3000 psi output from the pump.

Your cycle time,the time required to move the cylinder,will depend on the volume of the pump.

As the volume goes up,so does the hp (KW) demand.

This will give you a good starting point to figure out your requirements.

You may find a few typo's or calculation errors in this post,but I am very sleepy and about to go to bed for the night,but the general rules still apply,and if you are diligent and curious,you should be able to at least get started in your calculations.

Then you will feel proud of you accomplishments,and will have gained insight on how the system works.

Goodnight.

"A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child." “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou.
Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 102

Re: Hydraulic System for Biomass Briquetting Machine

10/03/2016 7:31 PM

What's wrong with the one in your video? It seems to be functioning.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 116

10/04/2016 9:20 AM

A previous comment has explained how to size the hydraulic power pack without any reference to cooling. Roughly timed the machine in your video is producing a briquet every 6 seconds. That equates to 600 cycles per hour for 8-16 hours per day in a commercial operation. The hydraulic oil is going to get very hot unless you pass it through a cooler. If the drive motor is rated at 12Kw some of that energy is used to compress the briquets, but most of it (around 75%) will end up as heat. You will need a cooling system capable of extracting 9Kw of heat from the oil. The cheapest way to do this is to dump the heat into a stream of running water using an oil/water heat exchanger, but if you have to air cool the oil using inefficient electrically driven fans, a good rule of thumb is that the power required to cool the oil is equal to the power input of the hydraulics needed to create the briquets. Other factors such as the ambient heat in your factory and the heat of your cooling air will skew the calculations so give all your data to a local hydraulics manufacturer and get them to quote you with written details of how they arrived at the sizing for both the hydraulic pump and the cooling circuit.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 33

10/05/2016 11:48 AM

Seems odd to design the whole thing in CAD without having the most important component figured out. I usually work out the drive and design around that. I mean if you don't even know what forces you are dealing with how can you spec out the first channel or piece of angle iron?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bigg (1); HiTekRedNek (1); jhhassociates (1); lyn (1); Massey (1); michael htut (1); phoenix911 (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Mastercam2017 Complete Video Tutorial:   Next in Forum: Screws

Advertisement