CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: A Question About Two Stage Solar Stills   Next in Forum: One Way Bearing Usage
Close
Close
Close
60 comments
Associate

Lawnmower / Snow Thrower Carburetor

10/17/2016 4:05 PM

Lawnmower / Snow thrower Carburetor

Hi gentlemen

In these bloody days the gasoline sellers (Gas stations) do add Alcohol to the Gasoline which increases the Ethanol percentage in it , which causes the engine oil to be thinner and causes Carburetor failure.

Yes when the Gasoline mixes with the oil it makes it thinner.

But, I wonder how the Gasoline can reach the engine oil??

Can someone explain this scenario in more details?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 150

Re: Lawnmower / Snow thrower Carburetor

10/17/2016 4:08 PM

Good Answers: 997

10/17/2016 4:31 PM

It's best to go with the manufacturers recommendations as far as fuel and oil types...

I've never seen gas in the engine oil...there have been many reported problems of people using ethanol gas mixture in older engines that have damaged the rubber parts, but that is well documented and most manufacturers have kits or replaced the rubber with more robust material....It's best to run your small engine out of gas and store it dry....for shorter periods of time a fuel stabilizer can be used...

..."What is the best small engine or lawn mower gas?

Fuel for your lawn mower or outdoor power equipment must meet these requirements:

• Clean, fresh, unleaded
  • A minimum of 87 octane/87 AKI (91 RON); If operating at high altitude, see below
  • Gasoline with up to 10% ethanol (gasohol) or up to 15% MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether), is acceptable. Some fuel stations are now selling gasoline with up to 15% ethanol. This E15 product is not recommended or approved for use in small engines.
  • A canned fuel product such as Briggs & Stratton Advanced Formula Ethanol-Free Fuel can also be used. This fuel combines ethanol-free unleaded gasoline with a fuel stabilizer to prolong the life of the fuel.

Note: LOOK BEFORE YOU PUMP! Do not use an unapproved fuel type (such as E85 ethanol gasoline) or modify your Briggs & Stratton engine to run on alternative fuels. These actions can cause damage to small engines and will void your Briggs & Stratton warranty.

All fuel is not the same. If starting or performance problems occur in your lawn mower or equipment, change fuel providers or change brands."...

https://www.stihlusa.com/faq/products/fuel/

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/fuel-mixture-lawn-boy-mower-82778.html

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/support/faqs/browse/fuel-recommendations.html

Good Answers: 1533

10/17/2016 5:07 PM

If it's a two stroke engine, this can't happen.

If it's a four stroke, see #2, and don't forget to check the air gap in the turboencabulator.

Haven't you learned how to use a search engine yet?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

In reply to #3

10/17/2016 7:59 PM

Well lyn , what you said is one step forward .

Yes , It is Toyota snow thrower HS520A - Yes , I believe it is 4 stroke engine. .

But how come the gasoline can reach the engine' oil and mix with it ?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

10/17/2016 8:07 PM

I guess you mean Honda....

In reply to #5

10/17/2016 8:28 PM

Sorry ,Yes I mean Honda.

Toyota & Honda are two Japanese brothers.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

10/17/2016 8:13 PM

It's a Honda.

Sounds like the carburetor float valve/needle is sticking allowing fuel to flow out of carburetor into the engine crankcase. You may be able to do a quick fix by removing the bowl float and vale and using some aerosol carburetor cleaner to clean the valve cavity. Just may be a piece of debris causing the problem.
The float valve/needle tip could be damaged/worn so inspect it upon removal.
You may consider replacing old fuel lines, as they are often a source of contamination. Install a new fuel filter also.
Of course replace contaminated oil.

The internet is a wonderful thing, if you use it.

Honda Snowblower - Gas in the Oil??? - DoItYourself.com Community ...

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #4

10/20/2016 3:54 PM

As said before - blowby. Go to a drag strip and go into the pits and watch what comes out of a fuel car as oil, and it was new oil used just for one run. Of course those engines are setup very loose to make them run good, but the same thing happens with all engines to some extent. The looser the piston rings (whether because it was setup that way or because of wear), the higher the compression ratio and the richer the mixture, the more blowby, thus more fuel into the oil. -- JHF

Good Answers: 738

Re: Lawnmower / Snow Thrower Carburetor

10/17/2016 8:17 PM

No, Ethanol is not to blame and never was.

See here. EPA-Proposal-Would-Open-the-Floodgates-to-Ethanol-Blended-Fuels-Above-E15

As you can see it's not the ethanol. It's the chemical stocks primarily in the BTEX group that makes up ~they make the gasoline out of that eat up the carburetor gaskets seals fuel lines and everything else.

All common rubbers and plastics used in fuel systems are and always have been ethanol compatible. However the majority that are suposedly gasoline compatible are in fact not the least bit compatible with the actual chemical subgroups and components that our present gasoline blends are made of.

Toluene, ethylbenzene and Xylene are the primary culprits for rubber and plastic component breakdown. Ethanol has nothing to do with it.

BTW the rotten goo and crust that our gasolines turn into is from the Olefin chemical group (40 - 60% of gasoline base stock by volume) degrading from oxygen that it strips from the MTBE chemical group or from the air or water vapor and breaks down.

Associate

10/17/2016 8:39 PM

But why this can happen only for 4 stroke engines and not with 2 stroke ones ??

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

10/17/2016 8:44 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #9

10/18/2016 3:10 AM

Two stroke engines have the oil mixed with the gas,and the crankcase is sealed from the combustion area.

The carbs are self-pumping,so if it is not running,there is no fuel to the cylinder.

2 strokes are a tough breed.

I have run my Kawasaki dirt bike(KX450...Telling my age now) through water deep enough to completely immerse the engine.Had to push it out of the water,turn it upside down, remove the spark plug,and turn the engine over to get the water out.

Right side up,insert plug,kick it a few times,and right back in the race.No harm done.

Can't do that with a 4 stroke.

"A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child." “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 26

10/18/2016 12:17 AM

If it's a very old engine, blow-by is a reasonable supposition. Poor ignition leaving un-combusted gasoline would add to that. One main thing is to always drain your carburetor bowl at the end of the season unless you're using Sta-Bil or another storage additive. I drain the tank, run the engine till it dies and then open the bowl drain to remove all traces of gasoline. In older engines, my snow blower is a Sears 4 stroke with a B&S and is over 15 years old, some of the o-rings weren't suitable for the ethanol grades. I replaced the carb at least twice and am assuming that they are now using suitable o-rings but I still drain it completely.

Guru

10/18/2016 3:01 AM

A small amount of fuel will bypass the pistons when the engine is cold,but it will boil off as the engine heats up.

If the engine is only run for short intervals, this will show up as a creamy deposit around the dip stick or sight glass.

This is caused by moisture that is also generated when the engine is cold,mainly, but will have some alcohol content.

Always run an engine long enough for the oil to reach a minimum of 160 F for a few minutes.

Alcohol burns a little cooler than gasoline,so it will take a little longer for the engine to warm up.OF course,it will evaporate out of the oil faster,so 6 dozen dozen of one, 1/2 dozen dozen of the other......

A large amount of fuel in the oil means you have a malfunctioning carburetor...a stuck float, or leaky needle valve,most likely.

With the needle valve stuck open, gravity will feed fuel from the tank into the carb,to the cylinder,and leak past the rings into the oil pan over time.

Old farm equipment was famous for this,and farmers learned to turn off the fuel after putting Ole Bessy up for the night.

The problem in the older equipment was not a stuck needle,but leaky ones,and a gravity feed fuel system.No fuel pump.Not enough pressure for the float to properly seat the needle valve.And most of the old stuff had metal seats and valves in the carbs,not the soft coated,forgiving newer type needles.

I added a 12 volt fuel valve to my old tractors to prevent this problem.

As for alcohol eating up rubber,yes,it does tend to accelerate deterioration,because of the oxygen content.It does not attack directly,just speeds up the normal deterioration.

Viton is the material of choice for rubber parts nowadays,it is very closely related to Teflon,and nothing seems to bother it.

"A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child." “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou
Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

10/18/2016 3:37 AM

I dodged a bullet last week,when Hurricane Matthew blew though.

No one injured,minimal property damage.

Lost power,had to fire up the old Coleman generator.

The fuel had been in the tank since Hurricane Fran,20+years ago.

I had added Stabil and ran it dry before storage.I then topped off the tank to 1/2 inch down in the neck, to minimize the amount of surface area exposed to the air.

I also made an air tight gasket for the fill cap,to prevent the tank from"breathing"during storage: A piece of plastic from an oil bottle,trimmed to fit the inside of the fill cap,with an "O" ring on the tank side of the plastic disc.

I figured the plastic tank could endure the slight expansion/contraction cycle,since it was stored in a below grade split level garage.

Every temperature or barometric pressure change will change the air in the fuel tank,and some volatiles from the fuel will be lost,and moisture will be sucked in.

This results in concentration of the lesser volatiles and gummy residue.

The airtight seal prevents this.

Anyway,I removed my air tight gasket,choked it,pulled it 3 times,and it went right to work.

No problems.

Kept it running for 3 days,24/7 except for refueling,and I could not tell any difference with the fresh fuel,except the exhaust smelled different.

Fuel ages very slowly if tightly sealed,IMHO.

Not sure if this method will work with the newer methanol added type fuels because of the high oxygen content.Probably not, because the fuel will slowly decompose regardless of outside air.

I am going to convert it to LP to eliminate the hassle of finding gasoline when all the local pumps are dry.

I may never need it again in my lifespan,but you never know.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #14

10/19/2016 12:08 AM

I converted a gennie to propane, very easy. Set of wrenches and drills. No worries about stale gas ever again.

Associate

In reply to #23

10/23/2016 10:53 AM

How ??

Explain please.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #58

10/24/2016 1:29 PM

If you don't understand the concepts behind the difference between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke engine and how to identify each plus have clearly demonstrated you lack the capacity to do basic internet searches to learn more about such things modifying a common liquid fuel carburetor to work with vapor fuels is way way beyond your understanding and skilllsets.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

10/18/2016 3:45 AM

An exhaust system is a lodging that contains permeable metal filler situated between the motor and suppressor in the fumes framework. Its part is to change over poisonous discharges originating from the motor to stable results before they enter the air. A portion of the side effects of burning (lead, zinc and phosphorus) can seriously disable the converter's capacity to play out this occupation.

In reply to #15

10/18/2016 4:01 AM

Catalytic converters on small engines?

I had no idea.

Register to Reply
Associate

10/18/2016 3:52 PM

Well, but if the 2 -stroke engine is much better and less trouble than the 4-stroke ones, why then they make the 4- stroke engines ??

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #17

10/18/2016 6:47 PM

More torque at lower RPM's = longer lasting motor....

In reply to #18

10/18/2016 11:02 PM

Do you mean the 4 -stoke engine runs at lower RPM than the 2-stroke engine ??

Power-User

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #20

10/20/2016 5:46 AM

The 2 stroke is a lighter power plant and has lower compression so it can run faster, as in a trimmer, chainsaw, or blower. A four stroke with higher compression is usually heavier (the oil sump adds weight) and has more and heavier parts. A diesel engine has to have even heavier construction to handle the compression pressure and the increased torque from the more powerful explosion of the fuel in the cylinders.

Due to emissions control limits the 2 stroke has been abandoned in most small engines such as mowing and trimming equipment. I sure don't miss the smell of a 2 stroke in the air when mowing with my electric mower or riding a 4 stroke cycle. But I wouldn't want to carry a heavy 4 stroke chainsaw up a ladder to trim a tree. And starting a 4 stroke with a rope pull requires some way to reduce the compression as well. My Mercedes diesel is a beautiful example of the efficiency of a diesel engine but our VW Touareg TDI adds software which cheats on emissions tests and is under the EPA gun. You can't always get what you want without some compromises!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

10/19/2016 9:52 PM

Who said 2 stroke are much better? They have much more wear and tear. They pollute much more since the oil is mixed with the gasoline and it is burned off with the gas. A 4-stroke engine generally lasts longer and pollute less.

10/18/2016 10:37 PM

Lawnmower / Snow thrower Carburetor

Lucas Oil Products INC. make a excellent Ethanol Fuel Conditioner P/N 10576 and a Fuel Stabilizer P/N 10314. Both work we have been using them for decades with good results.

Register to Reply
Power-User

10/18/2016 11:46 PM

The fuel and oil meet in the cylinder during compression and ignition, some unburnt gas leaking around the rings where the oil lubricates the piston.

Guru

In reply to #21

10/18/2016 11:55 PM

Don't quit your day job, unless you're a mechanic.

Associate

In reply to #21

10/19/2016 12:18 AM

But why this not happening in the 2 -stroke engine / only in the 4-stroke engine ?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #21

10/19/2016 11:49 AM

Unless it is a piston-port design.

In a piston-port design, the air/fuel/oil charge gets pulled into the crankcase when piston is at TDC through ports in the piston skirt, then as the piston comes to BDC the charge is forced though passages parallel to the cylinder to the combustion chamber.

Register to Reply
Associate

10/19/2016 4:37 AM

If the engine is turned off when it is still running at its working speed, without letting the fuel to run dry, the engine will still suck fuel into the combustion chamber as it slows down to a stop, this will then sit in the combustion chamber and slowly seep down past the rings into the crankcase and so into the oil. I have seen this happen on a few fixed speed engines. It also wears the rings and bore out quickly as the oil is washed off the bore by the fuel. This can't happen with a 2 stroke as the fuel will just run down into the crankcase where next time the engine is started it will be burnt.

Guru

In reply to #25

10/19/2016 9:25 AM

Baloney!

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #26

10/19/2016 9:41 AM

Ooh! That was a constructive comment! Care to elaborate in a civil way about what exactly you disagree with?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Associate

In reply to #26

10/19/2016 10:38 AM

Why ?

The only way fuel can get mixed with the engine oil is by getting past the rings. No other way. If there is unburnt fuel in the combustion chamber it will find its way past the rings (There is a gap in the rings) and mix with the oil. A single cylinder engine will nearly always stop on the compression stroke, so there will be no valves open to let the fuel evaporate out.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

10/19/2016 12:40 PM

You said, "If the engine is turned off when it is still running at its working speed, without letting the fuel to run dry, the engine will still suck fuel into the combustion chamber as it slows down to a stop, this will then sit in the combustion chamber and slowly seep down past the rings into the crankcase and so into the oil."

This is true of billions of carbureted engines that are shut down every time they used, if they are not equipped with a throttle. Most of them run for many years with zero ill effects. You make the incorrect assumption that liquid fuel is being introduced into the cylinders. The mixture is mostly air, 14:1 is typical.

While you are correct that there will be some small amount of fuel left in the engine, it doesn't seem to damage most of them.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #30

10/19/2016 9:32 PM

So, do you think that the problem of the contaminated engine oil with the fuel is existing in both 2 - stroke and 4- stroke engines.

I want to get definite clear answer on that issue : Yes or No ??

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #31

10/19/2016 9:40 PM

NO! NO! NO! There is NO oil in a two stroke engine crankcase to contaminate.

The oil is already IN the gas.

My God, do some research! It is so easy that if you really need it, I can have my 10 year old kid do it for you.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #32

10/19/2016 9:56 PM

The oil is already IN the gas. ??

As far as I know, the gas is for fueling the engine , and the oil is for lubricating the piston rings.

Guru

In reply to #34

10/19/2016 10:00 PM

You are hopeless!

I am disgusted with your inability to gather any information for yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #36

10/19/2016 10:16 PM

Actually you do collect confusing information from here and there via Google, and you are totally confused .

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #37

10/19/2016 10:27 PM

I can't believe that you do not have the ability to acquire knowledge independently!

Good luck!

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #38

10/19/2016 10:34 PM

True, that I was asking for your help !!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #31

10/19/2016 9:57 PM

As Lyn correctly pointed out, the is NO oil in a 2 stroke crankcase, therefore you cannot contaminate what doesn't exist. I suggest you Google 2-stroke engine Wikipedia for a more complete explanation.

In reply to #35

10/20/2016 5:29 AM

That should be obvious since there is no oil reservoir either. The lubrication comes from the oily fuel mixture.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #40

10/20/2016 9:31 AM

In 2- stroke Lawn mowers there is oil reservoir... and oil must be checked before any use.

Associate

In reply to #42

10/20/2016 10:22 AM

You will find that either it is a 4 stroke engine if the oil is in the engine, or there is a gearbox on the end of the 2 stroke engine that needs the oil level checked.

If there is a small tank that you put 2 stroke oil in that gets used up, then it is a 2 stroke engine and this oil is metered by a precision pump and mixed with the fuel as the engine uses it..

Do you mix oil with the fuel? If you do it is a 2 stroke engine, if you don't then it is a 4 stroke engine.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #42

10/20/2016 10:58 AM

Okay. Which lawn mowers specifically? And what type of oil do you put in them?

Reason I ask is I have never seen a 2 stroke lawn mower that had self mixing fuel/oil capabilities. That and I am not aware of any engine powered device for lawn care larger than what's on a string trimmer or chainsaw that uses a 2 stroke engine that was built the last 20+ years.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #44

10/20/2016 2:40 PM

Ollie is off his trolley.

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #45

10/20/2016 11:30 PM

Well lyn , if you are not able to control your self- I will be forced to complaint about you at your older brother Tornado.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #45

10/21/2016 12:48 PM

I don't think he's the only one.

I see a number of people here making claims they apparently can't actually back up with credible references either.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #42

10/20/2016 3:59 PM

Lawn Boy was a 2 stroke using an oil mix in the fuel but it was underpowered and hard starting.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #47

10/20/2016 7:48 PM

Do they still make those?

The last one I saw in a store was too many years ago to pinpoint anymore.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #48

10/20/2016 8:56 PM

LOWES, HOME DEPOT, and hardwares still have Lawn Boy.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #49

10/20/2016 9:16 PM

I don't see any 2 stroke units. Everything I can find is either Honda or Kohler 4 stroke based.

From what I can find they haven't made a 2 stroke mower for a decade or more now.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #49

10/20/2016 9:36 PM

I'm pretty sure that Lawn Boy went completely over to 4 stroke engines a bit ago. They were bought over by Toro and I think that they switched over to 4 stroke on all their lawnmowers for environmental reasons.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #51

10/21/2016 12:01 AM

Finally - I prefer the corrupted world to clean it self from the corruption spreading all over - everywhere , and to restore its lost values and principles rather than to pay attention to what is called clean environment.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #53

10/22/2016 1:03 PM

Never going to happen. Opinions vary too much. As my father used to say, "Right or wrong often depends on whose ox is being gored".

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #30

10/22/2016 11:44 AM

"if they are not equipped with a throttle". ????

Every Carburetor on the earth has throttle - but yes some of them may have no Choke.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #55

10/22/2016 12:08 PM

Actually not all carburetors do have a throttle valve'plate/butterfly/plunger etc.

Some are little more than a tube with a venturi fuel feed/mixer of some design.

Register to Reply
Guru

10/23/2016 6:01 PM

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); Calnet42 (1); Circuit Breaker (1); HiTekRedNek (4); Kilowatt0 (1); lyn (10); Olie (13); P.Mason (3); rshirsagar5 (1); sharpstick (2); SolarEagle (4); Spinco (5); tcmtech (7); Town Automatics (1); wayneelowe (5)

Previous in Forum: A Question About Two Stage Solar Stills   Next in Forum: One Way Bearing Usage

Advertisement