CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Longitudinal Electromagnetic Wave   Next in Forum: Digital TV Freq's on VHF & UHF
Close
Close
Close
24 comments
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 103

HDTV Sans Sound

10/22/2016 2:36 PM

I have a 32" flat screen TV about 1 year old that has lost it's sound. I have replaced it with a new TV and wonder if the old TV can be used as a computer monitor. Since I do Autocad©, a big screen would be great.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 577

Re: HDTV sans sound

10/22/2016 2:48 PM
Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 620

10/22/2016 3:31 PM

It's odd to see a new TV lose a basic function like sound after only 1 year. I'm wondering if some setting was accidentally changed. Did you run through all of the audio settings in the setup menu to make sure you had the correct choices for sound quality, balance, speakers, etc?

I've fixed a few friends' TVs that lost sound due to someone accidentally choosing 'second audio' or 'aux speakers', thus effectively muting the TV without using the 'mute' button.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #2

10/22/2016 4:05 PM

...and check to see if the "language" setting was changed. My wife accidentally hits that button and it turns the sound off for certain stations.

Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #3

10/23/2016 8:35 PM

My wife has accidentally hit a button which makes the NFL Football games (only) come through in Spanish on one of the main channels. Thankfully, over the years, I've learned enough of the language to enjoy the games.

Good Answers: 1588
In reply to #2

10/23/2016 2:52 PM

There's the fundamental problem with all modern TVs and most other things, cars included.

"all of the audio settings in the setup menu ", all those video settings in the setup menu,

all of the source settings in the setup menu, all those channel settings in the setup menu, all of the settings in the setup menu is enough to overwhelm those of us over 50.

We just want it to work when we plug it in and turn it on.

Case in point. I just rented a car, a Toyota I think, doesn't matter, and the display was a nightmare. I just want the damn car to go when I put the key in the ignition! Oh, wait!!!!!!! THERE IS NO KEY, and nothing but some damn button to push. But wait, pushing the button won't do ANYTHING, if you don't stomp on the brake pedal!

What happened to KISS?

I don't need all the bells that require settings I don't understand and all the whistles that go off when I have no clue what they mean!

Ron should get a neighborhood kid, give him or her 10 bucks and they will fix it in one minute.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #6

10/25/2016 2:19 PM

That changed when Americans stopped making them. Since they are made in foreign nations, the software to the item "thinks" in that language, not ours. Stuff does not follow the "normal" way of getting to the setting you want.

I propose the following: Congress pass (yet another) bill but this time make it so that all TV sets, cars, refrigerators, and all other appliances be manufactured to accept voice commands. That way the annoying thing will ask you seven times to confirm that you want it to short itself out and burn up in the atmosphere.

I see the preponderance of expensive boat anchors mounting up in our future.

Only good thing I have to say is, when these work, it is really nice, when they don't, they really, really, really suck.

Good Answers: 153

10/23/2016 8:20 AM

You do not say which model TV you have,but some sets have the video/audio chip combined on one chip,and is installed in a socket.

If this is the case,it is easily repairable by replacing the chip.

Even though the audio/video is on the same ship,I have seen just the audio portion fail.

Sometimes simply re-seating the chip fixes the problem.

As noted in the link provided by Rixter,a 32 inch screen may not have sufficient resolution for close-up work.

If you will provide model and serial number,I will research the schematic and provide suggestions on repair.

"A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child." “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou.
Register to Reply
Active Contributor

10/23/2016 12:11 PM

Others are correct about SAP being on. If the TV does not have a VGA input than likely the 32 tv even though it says is HD is very low resolution and will not have a quality look running computer graphics at HDMI regardless of where you set the resolution. Inexpensive small TV's throughout history have very low resolution. Unless they are specifically made for high res. applications- and they will not be inexpensive.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 27

10/23/2016 7:56 PM

Yes, no problem. I have been using a cheap 32" as a monitor for over 10 yrs. I use 1280 x 960 resolution. Lines on my drawings are wide and clear.

Good Answers: 6

10/23/2016 8:36 PM

I had an old pickup truck with no key. I jammed a nail between the terminals on the ignition switch to complete the circuit. The starter was a foot switch. To turn it off I would reach up and slide the nail away from the hot terminal. It was almost too easy but someone who didn't know this wouldn't get any where with it.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 577
In reply to #9

10/24/2016 2:09 PM

I had an old Renault Dauphine when I was in high school. The ignition switch had terminal lugs screwed to the back. I used to amuse my friends by starting it by shorting across with a coin.

Register to Reply
Guru

Re: HDTV Sans Sound

10/24/2016 2:33 PM

Have you heard the one about the ole boys heading to gig frogs late at night when the headlight fuse blew in their old pickup?

They discovered that a .22 long rifle cartridge would fit the fuse holder perfectly and were soon on their way.

Unfortunately, about two miles down the road that .22 got hot enough to self-ignite and shot the driver in the privates.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 92
In reply to #11

10/25/2016 1:48 AM

Was a near miss in the Charles Darwin Awards some years back. For hitting the balls it could still be seen as a unintentionally removal from the gene pool.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #11

10/25/2016 2:22 PM

So he lost his credentials as a bonafide frog gigger?

Dummies should have fired the cartridge first, huh.

In reply to #16

10/25/2016 4:06 PM

They're too short then. I've tried it!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #17

10/26/2016 10:33 AM

Seems this whole discussion has degraded to a low caliber!

How about 2 x .22 spent cartridges?

Losing one's credentials over a blown fuse sounds rather extreme sport for me to try.

Good Answers: 13

10/24/2016 8:41 PM

I use a tv for a monitor (PC VGA input), 8 security cameras on 500Gig recorder( HDMI input), Internet (PCDuino-second HDMI input), video cd player(component input), and a vcr(video input) and just hit menu on the remote to select what I want to see and this Visio I bought used about 5 years ago....your newer tv should have an input that matches your video card output, cable it up and select the input you're hooked up to....you should be pleased with your new screen...

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 103

10/25/2016 2:00 PM

Thank you all. The TV is a Vizio 32".

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #14

11/06/2016 5:05 AM

Vizio made by LG

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

10/26/2016 12:19 PM

I have Mitsubitshi TV that acted in a similar way. The sound was distributed through about 12 to 16 small speakers in a line. It had a feature for biasing the sound to the left or right depending on the shape of the room. Actually a fairly nice feature.

The problem was that it would slowly drift off to one side and then fade out completely over several months.

To fix it, its program had to be reloaded from time to time. I got tired of paying the TV tech to come out and do this, so I downloaded the code from the manufacturer to a dedicated USB memory stick and do this myself if it needs it.

It seems the code I downloaded had the memory leak fixed so I no longer have to reload the program. Nothing like having the most recent version of the software to finally fix it!

In reply to #19

10/26/2016 1:34 PM

memory leak....hmm, how did the technician figure that out?

I am getting nearly old enough, I could start having those.

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72
In reply to #20

10/26/2016 2:02 PM

Me too! I had never heard of that until I started working with an awesome programmer.

It is a term that refers to writing over memory that was supposed to be left undisturbed. Begining programmers apparently do that all the time.

I think the second definition should probably include forgetting things that used to be important at one time or another.

In reply to #21

10/26/2016 2:44 PM

If I could remember everything I learned in college, my head would explode.

Good Answers: 153

11/06/2016 6:18 AM

Here is a link to a service manual for a 32inch Vizio,if you are interested in repairing it .

http://www.manualguru.com/lg/32ln549c-za/users-manual/page-16

"Is that mud puddle very deep?" asked the stranger driving through.

"NAH! It only comes up to here on my ducks." replied the farmer,with a grin.

Moral:Don't get in over your head.

"A man never stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child." “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou.
Register to Reply
Register to Reply 24 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (1); Charlie Greenwood (1); geraldpaxton (1); HiTekRedNek (2); IdeaSmith (1); James Stewart (5); jdsighter (1); JIMRAT (1); Larry James (1); lyn (3); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (2); Rixter (2); ronseto (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Longitudinal Electromagnetic Wave   Next in Forum: Digital TV Freq's on VHF & UHF

Advertisement