CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Newtonian Pressure Drop vs Non-Newtonian Pressure Drop   Next in Forum: Steam Turbine Rotor Lift Measurement
Close
Close
Close
14 comments

Pressure Drop Correlations of Non-Newtonian Two-Phase Flow in the Pipeline

10/23/2016 6:00 PM

Hi,
Can anyone guide me to have good correlations or equations to measure the pressure drop of non-newtonian two-phase flow in the pipeline?
Thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 997

Re: Looking For Pressure Drop Correlations Of Non-Newtonian Two-Phase Flow in The Pi

10/23/2016 6:10 PM

Good Answers: 483

Re: Looking For Pressure Drop Correlations Of Non-Newtonian Two-Phase Flow in The Pi

10/23/2016 6:14 PM

Probably not. My understanding is that non-Newtonian fluids either get thicker or thinner when agitated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Newtonian_fluid

Register to Reply

In reply to #2

10/23/2016 11:49 PM

My non-Newtonian fluid (xanthan gum solution) gets less viscous as the shear stress increases. Thanks.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 89
In reply to #5

10/24/2016 12:07 AM

So now look at the relation of friction and pressure and let us know why you see what you see. Key word is viscosity!

Nothing beats measured data and I like that you try to confirm your results with the theory. You are almost there.

In reply to #8

10/25/2016 5:05 AM

It's a linear relation.

Yes the viscosity and density dramatically drop after running the flow loop for like 20 minutes. So, the viscosity must have been less than the water viscosity to give pressure drop less than the Newtonian fluids do.

Thanks

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 122
In reply to #10

10/25/2016 12:22 PM

Lots of Newtonian fluids have more viscosity than water, and a few have less.

What is the point? What two phases? solid suspended in liquid? Colloid? Foam of gas in liquid?

Your OP did not specify, but I saw later about Xanthan Gum. Does the solution go back to being "thick" are standing still a while?

How does that make you feel? What do you want to do about it?

In reply to #11

10/25/2016 10:49 PM

The point is knowing if the non newtonian fluid could make pressure drops less than the newtonian fluids do at the same conditions?

The liquid is slurry (xanthan gum+water) flows with air.

Yes the solution goes to be thick again. I think the solution has a higher density than the water so, it doesn't make any sense to get less pressure drops.

Thanks

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 122
In reply to #12

10/26/2016 10:29 AM

The variable quantity of gas (air) with the liquid dispersion of xantham gum should result in a fluid with less viscosity than water. By the way, density has damned little to do with viscosity.

Good Answers: 216
In reply to #10

10/30/2016 2:07 AM

Doubtful your nonnewtonian gum fluid mix is less viscous at the same temperature than water without the gum.

Your measured differences in pressure drop likely result predominantly from changes in fluid temperature rather than directly from shear thinning aspects.

Your pumps for the flow loop might not be developing as much head or flow rate with the mix as compared to just water. This may yield indication of less pressure drop but without taking changes in pump efficacy into account, comparison of the different pressure drop from the fluids isn't very useful.

10/23/2016 9:17 PM

What exactly do you need? You say you need a calculation to measure the pressure?

You either measure the pressure or you have nothing and need to calculate an estimate.

For two phase flow you are looking at a whole bunch of calculations and determinations.

You should refine your question on what you really want to do and what fluids are involved and what you have found so far.

In reply to #3

10/23/2016 11:59 PM

I measured the pressure drop at the lab using the DAQ (Data-Acquisition system), and I need to validate the results by some correlations. The fluids are (xanthan gum+water)+air. I found that any two-phase pressure drop equation could work with non-newtonian flow, but I need to represent the shear stress and the velocity appropriately.

Thanks,

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

10/24/2016 12:06 AM

I take the liberty and re-post your additional information from the other post here.

Hi,
I did some experiments on Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids measuring the pressure drop through a horizontal pipeline. The Newtonian two-phase flow was water+air and the non-Newtonian was (water+xanthan gum)+air.

I prepared 2 samples (2 concentrations) of the xanthan gum solution 1g/1L (995 kg/m3) and 2g/1L (990 kg/m3). I am wondering if it is logical that the Newtonian pressure drop was bigger than the non-Newtonian one?! Also the 2g/1L sample should've been with a higher density comparing to the 1g/1L!
Thanks

10/23/2016 9:19 PM

More information actually here.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 306

Re: Pressure Drop Correlations of Non-Newtonian Two-Phase Flow in the Pipeline

10/24/2016 7:23 AM

Free hand calculations, unlikely. Software possible.

we work with Newtonian and nonNewtonian liquids and to figure out systems curves have used Applied Flow Technology with satisfactory success.

they do have a trial time period for the software, but I'm sure it's limited.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

IdeaSmith (4); James Stewart (2); phoenix911 (1); Rixter (1); Siraj77 (4); SolarEagle (1); truth is not a compromise (1)

Previous in Forum: Newtonian Pressure Drop vs Non-Newtonian Pressure Drop   Next in Forum: Steam Turbine Rotor Lift Measurement

Advertisement