CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: How to Write a Matlab Code for Discrete Wavelet Transform?   Next in Forum: CountIf Function Not Counting All the Values in Range
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 37

Is Windows 7 Intentionally Difficult To Update?

10/24/2016 11:07 AM

I recently upgraded the motherboard CPU and hard drive in an old computer. Basically this was a new computer with the exception of the case and power supply. I have tried windows 10 but I still prefer windows 7, also I had the disk and key that had been on the computer before.

Installing windows 7 is quick but getting the computer up to date has gotten really difficult, so much so that I wonder if this is a way of pushing people to windows 10.

I know about and used the convince roll up but as many have reported windows updates still gets stuck on checking for updates after it. A lot of people let windows updates check for updates all night and I guess it finally does get them. Once it finds the updates it don't take too long so it can't be a server issue. It seems like the checking for updates problem is almost intentional.

I finally found this link http://wu.krelay.de/en/ which points you to the correct manual updates and tells you how recent everything is. Utilizing that I was able to install and update windows 7 in an evening. I found solutions on many other sites written as articles but this problem has been going on for a while and it was hard to tell who had the up to date update fix. It almost seems like once a fix becomes widespread Microsoft changes something to make it difficult again.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: window 7 updates
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1129

Re: Is windows 7 intentionally difficult to update?

10/24/2016 11:29 AM

Why would they make it easy, they want everyone on the 10 platform...all the cloud crap is tied to 10...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Good Answers: 771

Re: Is windows 7 intentionally difficult to update?

10/24/2016 12:17 PM

All of my computers are windows 7 based and I typically do a full dump and reload on them about once a year.

With that I usually expect it to take a week or so before all the updates have been reinstalled.

The first 3 - 4 days hit the majority, usually with 1 -2 lockups, then the rest trickle in over the next 3 - 4.

Also just for convenience I recommend that once you have everything installed as you like it do a full ghost copy of your hard drive so that you have a clean master copy to fall back to incase of a major issue.

I got hit with that ransomware virus last year and fortunately I had the master copies of everything for all my computers so cleaning that up was an easy fix.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 23

Re: Is Windows 7 Intentionally Difficult To Update?

10/25/2016 12:16 AM

This is similar to buying tablet's, about 8 years ago I bought a tablet for $600.00 . Two years later the tablet took a crap when the battery died, I learned my lesson, now I buy the cheapest tablet they sell, when the battery fails after 4 years, I just buy another for $40. bucks.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

10/25/2016 1:49 AM

I also had problems with the Gate$ virus, I finally changed to Ubuntu Linux. Sure, there is a learning curve, but no different to first using Window$. If I find something I am unable to get around, I just Google the problem and away I go...Beautiful.!

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 751

10/25/2016 3:19 AM

It is probably more intentionally difficult NOT to update.

Good Answers: 45

10/25/2016 10:29 AM

Hey Frank, It has to do with age mostly. The OS is on its third major revision SP3 which in itself is telling. But then over the years security vulnerabilities, system glitches, peripheral bugs and a whole host of new features were added. Graphics processors have changed considerably as have displays, printers, storage devices, USB, Blue tooth.... you get the idea. So it is always going to be a long process to bring this OS up to date (term used loosely). As for pushing people to W10. I would say they are and with good reason. The capabilities of W7 have reached the limit of the code used to create it. attempting to add new peripherals and devices to it will become more and more cumbersome to impossible as we go forward, as will securing it. As it stands I would not recommend using it for anything involving your personal finances. Cheers!

In reply to #6

10/25/2016 1:28 PM

The windows 7 os is only on SP1 perhaps you are thinking about XP?

I understand it requires a lot of updates due to security but that doesn't explain the issue. Sure it needs lot of patching due to new security issues being found all the time. That can be said of every OS because new zero day exploits are found all the time.

The main issue is that it will sit at the checking for updates window for many many hours before anything happens.

If it needs 5 or 200 updates isn't the issue, it is how long it takes to find those updates.

Once it finds the updates and you actually download and install them it isn't so bad.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 771
In reply to #7

10/25/2016 2:46 PM

"The main issue is that it will sit at the checking for updates window for many many hours before anything happens.

If it needs 5 or 200 updates isn't the issue, it is how long it takes to find those updates.

Once it finds the updates and you actually download and install them it isn't so bad."

You have to consider that they run a limited number of servers dedicated to that job and that at any single point in time there are literally millions of computers trying to access those servers needing updates or as like you, entire reloads of everything starting from point zero.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

10/25/2016 2:52 PM

That is true that millions of computers may be trying to access those servers but I still don't think that is the issue.

If you apply a manual patch (which you have to manually find) that patches the windows update service then it only takes about 15 minutes or less to find the updates. If the servers were really the issue then it wouldn't matter what you did the problem would still exist.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 45
In reply to #7

10/25/2016 3:07 PM

You are right. SP1. Been awhile since I messed with W7. What you describe I have no actual answer for. All I can surmise is it is taking that long to gain access and then wade through all of the possible updates for all Windows OS from 7 on, to find those that actually apply to your system and configuration. I would have to imagine that supporting W7 is not a priority at the moment. (whether for nefarious reasons or simple logistics.)

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 128

10/25/2016 8:48 PM

It's been my experience that Microsoft pushes you to upgrade to 10 pretty aggressively. That said, I have to admit that I prefer Windows 10 to Windows 7.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1129

11/04/2016 1:15 PM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bayes (1); frankd20 (2); Jacko the Aus (1); rashavarek (2); SolarEagle (2); tcmtech (2); tonyhemet (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: How to Write a Matlab Code for Discrete Wavelet Transform?   Next in Forum: CountIf Function Not Counting All the Values in Range

Advertisement