CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Automatic Plant Watering System   Next in Forum: Shock Absorbers - Calculation Of the Amount of Gas
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Participant

Controlling Actuators

10/30/2016 2:55 PM

I'm making a robot to play a tin whistle for a university project, and I need a little help getting started.

I'll be using some cheap actuators to cover/uncover the holes but I'm unsure how to control them (I don't need to control exact position just "on" or "off" something like this should do). I'll also need to write a program to control them, hopefully in c++, which I know best, but I could learn something else.

If anybody can point me in the right direction or offer an idea I'd be grateful.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1598

Re: Controlling actuators

10/30/2016 3:01 PM
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #1

10/31/2016 12:44 AM

Those 'linear actuator' are longer stroke than necessary and most likely too slow, solenoids should be more suitable,,,look up"Arduino solenoid tutorial" and tutorials on different methods of controlling timing of the switch pulses...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

10/31/2016 12:50 AM

Thanks, but I'm not the one who's lost.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 753

10/30/2016 3:02 PM

Miniature solenoids ought to be enough for this. (It would be trickier to uncover half-holes, as for a recorder.)

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 753
In reply to #2

10/30/2016 4:03 PM

Well, it ain't Jean-Pierre Rampal or James Galway, but it'll do.

Good Answers: 1140

10/30/2016 3:20 PM

In reply to #3

10/31/2016 10:31 AM

"Each finger consists of a link mechanism actuated by DC servomotors with pulley and wire. All fingers can open and close the flute key in 8[Hz]."

http://www.takanishi.mech.waseda.ac.jp/top/research/music/flute/wf_4rii/index.htm

http://www.takanishi.mech.waseda.ac.jp/top/research/we/we-4rii/index.htm

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 457

10/30/2016 7:37 PM

Solenoids are the way to go, but you don't need anything anywhere near as chunky (or rather able to exert as much force, or cost as much) as the one in your link.

I agree that an Arduino (or similar) is probably the simplest solution, maybe with a driver IC (e.g. UL200x series with multiple Darlingtons).

Re: Controlling Actuators

10/31/2016 12:31 AM

do a search on 'instructibles.com' for similar projects, also check out more powerful processors on compatible boards like 'PcDuino3', 'Intel Galileo', 'Intel Edison', all available in 'Arduino' compatible layouts...PCDuino3 is used at Univ. of Colo software engineering classes and that's also available on line.

Register to Reply
Guru

10/31/2016 12:54 AM

You might also check out "sparkfun.com" for parts, I've been pleased with their service.

Register to Reply
Participant

11/01/2016 1:25 PM

Thanks for all the help so far!

I found this instructable, to control a solenoid with arduino. If I repeat this 7 times for each hole, it should work?

I'm a bit unsure which arduino board to use would this be a good choice?

Also I may add a variable air flow, what controllable valve could I use that would have a quick response time (and possibly the ability to oscillate for vibrato)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

11/01/2016 4:44 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

11/01/2016 5:03 PM
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 457
In reply to #11

11/02/2016 5:44 AM

For the proportional control (that you'd need for accurate airflow control), I suggest you look at an RC actuator. Not sure if the response time would be good enough for vibrato - you'd need to look into that.

11/01/2016 11:34 PM

The 'uno' and the PCDuin3 have the same board I/O pinouts, you need another computer to program the Uno. you download Arduino's IDE for Windows, Apple, or Zenix (you write your program on another computer using Arduino's 'processing' language (much like C) and compile and download it to the Uno.

The Arduino Mega has a faster, more powerful processor, more usable memory, same pinouts.

The PCDuino on the other hand, boots the Ubuntu environment from rom and you can plug in an HDMI monitor and USB port expander, plug in a keyboard and mouse, and operate it stand alone...it also has a built in wifi port, and a plug for memory card (I use 32gig and have never run short)(UC Boulder uses the PCDuino3 in its software engineering classes) It has the same Arduino 'shield' pinouts.

The Intel Galileo is similar but you have to add a wifi card and download Intel's environment and burn the Yocto zenix operating system to a memory card to get it up and running (took me 3 tries) It can also use the Arduino 'shields'

The Arduino boards are available at your local Radio Shack

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 15 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

geraldpaxton (4); JackA7X (1); JohnDG (2); lyn (3); SolarEagle (3); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: Automatic Plant Watering System   Next in Forum: Shock Absorbers - Calculation Of the Amount of Gas

Advertisement